Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:49 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times

Advertisements

To those that oppose health care reform in general, i ask that you live in Detroit for a considerable amount of time and then move across the river to Windsor, Canada.

I think it may do wonders on your persepctive in dealing with the issue, especially to those that oppose health care reform making under 100k.

Discuss on whether you'd think this plan would or would not have any merit when it comes to perspective on the subject of health care reform debate.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
One might conclude that after living in detroit moving to anywhere else would seem pretty good.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
To those that oppose health care reform in general, i ask that you live in Detroit for a considerable amount of time and then move across the river to Windsor, Canada.

I think it may do wonders on your persepctive in dealing with the issue, especially to those that oppose health care reform making under 100k.

Discuss on whether you'd think this plan would or would not have any merit when it comes to perspective on the subject of health care reform debate.
Paul Krugman found out the answer, but not the one he was hoping for.

YouTube - Krugman gets p3wned on Canadian Health Care

Old 08-09-2009, 07:53 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
We should study more closely how health care goes on in other industrialized nations such as Australia and Italy. Maybe as an outside party and our own American ingenuity we can correct the weaknesses in those systems and adopt them for our own use at home. There must be some good in the health care systems of other countries because you never see their own people out protesting and demanding adoption of the American private system of health care.

If you know of someone, like I do, who had to declare bankruptcy over huge medical bills, then that should be enough to tell you our own system needs reform. If the high cost of medical care isn't solved, then a lot more of us than are now are gonna have to go to Mexico or overseas to get surgery done at an affordable cost.
Medical bills will not typically bankrupt anyone. Any health care facility will take small payments in lieu of any legal proceedings. So, if a person has declared bankruptcy because of medical bills, it's their choice because they don't want to pay what they owe.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Paul Krugman found out the answer, but not the one he was hoping for.

YouTube - Krugman gets p3wned on Canadian Health Care
Hardly a "testimonial"!

I've actually lived in Detroit and spent a considerable amount of time in Windsor as i have a child there. I've been through their, Canada's, health-care system and know better that there's a fundemental intangible factor that's severely lacking in the U.S.

So to see some irrelevant youtube posting via Krugman to prove a point is a farce.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Hardly a "testimonial"!

I've actually lived in Detroit and spent a considerable amount of time in Windsor as i have a child there. I've been through their, Canada's, health-care system and know better that there's a fundemental intangible factor that's severely lacking in the U.S.

So to see some irrelevant youtube posting via Krugman to prove a point is a farce.
Before I say this, believe me I'm not a fan of the current health care "system" we have, but for the love of God don't hold up the Canadian system as some sort of utopia! For every 20-30 yr old Canadian who never got majorly ill and loves their system, there's one or more who needs advanced health care and finds their system less than desirable. When Canada's own Supreme Court rules that their own health care system is in violation of human rights due to the extreme wait periods for advanced care (http://scc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/2005/2005scc35/2005scc35.html - broken link); people, there's a serious problem with the Canadian system that cannot be ignored to push Obamacare.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Default Enlightenment from Ralph Nader

If you read some insights from Ralph Nader on Obamacare, you will soon realize that Obamacare is not single payer nor private care, but it's more like corporate care. As in drug companies and other health care related corporations. The same drug companies which are currently making tons of money in the US. Yeah, so much for Obama transparency. Gee, I wonder why the drug companies are pushing for this legislation? Let me ask the oh-so-incredibly-intellingent here, does the Obamacare bill allow cheaper drugs to be imported in the US or negotiate for cheaper drugs from their respective companies? Hmmmm?

Read his insights into Democrat AND Republican hypocrasy after hypocrasy for yourself.

Don't even bother wasting electrons saying "oh that Nader, can you rely on what he says" or "didn't he help get Bush into office". Just comment on what he says.

If you think this bill is going to solve health care, you're going to get the health care you deserve...

Old 08-10-2009, 06:08 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Default CBO shoots down another myth from democrats; Preventative care saves money

Congressional Budget Expert Says Preventive Care Will Raise -- Not Cut -- Costs - Political Punch

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/104xx/doc...Prevention.pdf

Quote:
Obviously successful preventive care can make Americans healthier and save lives. But, Elmendorf wrote, it may not save money as Democrats had been arguing.

"Although different types of preventive care have different effects on spending, the evidence suggests that for most preventive services, expanded utilization leads to higher, not lower, medical spending overall," Elmendorf wrote. "That result may seem counterintuitive.

"For example, many observers point to cases in which a simple medical test, if given early enough, can reveal a condition that is treatable at a fraction of the cost of treating that same illness after it has progressed. In such cases, an ounce of prevention improves health and reduces spending — for that individual," Elmendorf wrote. "But when analyzing the effects of preventive care on total spending for health care, it is important to recognize that doctors do not know beforehand which patients are going to develop costly illnesses. To avert one case of acute illness, it is usually necessary to provide preventive care to many patients, most of whom would not have suffered that illness anyway. ... Researchers who have examined the effects of preventive care generally find that the added costs of widespread use of preventive services tend to exceed the savings from averted illness."
Another blow to the unsubstantiated rhetoric of obama and the dems.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
i think the biggest myth is that there is going to be cost savings with pharmaceuticals. clearly, obama is in bed with the pharmaceutical companies just as other presidents have been:
ned his stripes as a heavy for the big pharmaceuticals during a career in Congress before becoming a lobbyist....Tauzin served as chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee from 2001 to the beginning of 2004. He played a key role in guiding through Congress the Medicare prescription drug bill known as Medicare Part D, which went into effect on January 1, 2006.

Structured as a privatized plan, the plan bans federal negotiations with drug manufacturers for discounts, forcing Medicare to pay full price for prescription drugs. Tauzin is generally credited with inserting this language into the bill, as well as language barring the importation of cheaper drugs from Canada.

An analysis by the US House Committee on Government Reform found that in its first six months, Medicare Part D generated $8 billion in profits for the pharmaceutical companies. A Kaiser Family Foundation study estimated that Medicare Part D would generate $724 billion in revenues between 2006 and 2015.

Billy Tauzin left Congress on January 3, 2005, and began working that very day for PhRMA, reportedly offered a $2.5 million annual salary to head the leading drug industry lobbying group.

During his presidential campaign, Obama derided the drug companies for charging extortionate prices, and pledged he would let Medicare negotiate for lower prices and would allow importation of cheaper drugs from Canada. His selection now of Billy Tauzin to broker a deal with the pharmaceuticals is not accidental. He knows who he’s dealing with, and the interests Tauzin brings to the table.

Obama’s public affirmation that no further “cost savings” are to be extracted from the drug companies is further confirmation that any health care plan Obama signs will be a cut-rate, class-based system that will ration care for ordinary Americans while leaving the profits of the giant pharmaceutical and other health care industries intact...

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/aug2009/drug-a07.shtm (broken link)...

it is just a shame that "change" does not equal change.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
LOL! Yuppers let's all start smoking , eat too much of the wrong food, never exercise, NEVER take children in for health check ups, pregnant women stay HOME don't go that doctor it costs MONEY and just be as unhealthy as possible and that will save us all money!!

Boy! You righties sure are going to make life easy....

for insurance executives!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies