Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Republican Values: Empathy for Me, But Not for You « Sustainable Middle Class

Old 09-19-2009, 01:28 PM

300 posts, read 429,825 times
Meaningless crap -

How about identifying the author?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
Meaningless crap -

How about identifying the author?
If it's such "meaningless crap", why would you care?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 PM

300 posts, read 429,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
If it's such "meaningless crap", why would you care?
Who wrote it?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
Who wrote it?
If you clicked on the link, it's not all that hard to figure out.
I thought you were a physician.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quoted from johnwk1:
"America, we have a problem, we have been attacked from within! We are being destroyed from within by a group of domestic enemies who have managed to seize political power and whose mission is in fact to bring “change” to America ___ the dismantling of our military defensive power; the allowance of our borders to be overrun by foreign invaders, the destruction of our manufacturing capabilities; the strangulation of our agricultural industry and ability to produce food under the guise of environmental necessity; the looting of our federal treasury; the brainwashing of our nation’s children in government operated schools; the creation of an iron fisted control unauthorized by our written Constitution over free enterprise; the devaluation of our nation’s currency, and, the future enslavement of our children and grand children via unbridled debt and inflation, not to mention an iron fisted government which intends to rule their lives! "
Nobody "seized power:" President Obama won by a comfortable margin. Bush, however, was placed in
office due solely to a decision made by a right-leaning SCOTUS, in a decision earmarked as a one-time-only decision, which may never be used as a precedent in any future cases.
As for change, that's exactly what the majority voted for. After the monumental failure that was the Bush administration, the people of America voted for a move away from those failed policies.
President Obama is "dismantling our military defensive power?" More like President Obama is moving away from a policy of America engaging in wars solely for the benefit of the moneyed few. The Bush administration allowed Rumsfeld to dictate troop numbers and materials to the Joint Chiefs, as opposed to the reverse. Bush and Cheney ignored the defense of the United States, as they had been warned not only by the Clinton administration but several foreign sources as well that an attack of major proportions by terrorists was imminent. They then used the trauma of our citizens to pass the rape of our civil liberties that is the so-called "Patriot Act." As for our borders, where was the concern when Bush passed legislation that effectively removed our northern and southern borders, and to allow the eventual use of the "Amero?" Manufacturing? Americans have known about the "rust belt" for decades, yet Bush did nothing to benefit the working class; quite the opposite, in fact. He continued to allow American corporations to move their jobs overseas. "Strangulation of our agricultural industry?" It's only an "industry" thanks to the decimation of family farms and their replacement with agribusiness. That goes back to the Reagan era, which is what led Willie Nelson and his friends to hold the first Farm Aid. These things are not sudden news to most people. As for the phrase, "under the guise of environmental necessity," it is shameful: Rachel Carson wrote Silent Spring in 1962, and without her we would not have seen the survival of our national bird, the Bald Eagle. The bank was raided under Bush, who had the luxury of a surplus which he proceeded to squander on an illegal war begun with and sustained by lies. Thanks to Bush we are a broken debtor nation; it's amazing that it is a revelation to the right wing that we have been in deep economic voodoo for some time. That debt cannot be laid on an incoming president; our economy was broken by the ineptitude of a president who had never managed a successful business in his life. Nor has this president cut funding for public schools, the pride of our founding fathers, to encourage private schools, religious schooling or home-schooling in its place. The joke that is NCLB remains to be dismantled.
Yes, America is being destroyed from within...by people willing to go to any lengths to further a rejected legislative and social agenda. The problems America faces did not begin on January 20th of 2009, and just because Bush is back in Crawford cutting brush it certainly does not absolve him from any responsibility for the creation of the debacle that we are struggling to correct. Attempting to present this hyperbole as fact will fail; the people have not forgotten what happened to America between 2000-2008, and know where the culpability lies. The writer was so exercised that "iron-fisted" had to be used twice. Yes, we discovered after 9/11 how easily people can be manipulated by fear, but a fever pitch never lasts; the mob eventually wears itself out, as evidenced by the French Revolution. In the meantime, true patriots will be working together to help repair America, as opposed to shamelessly wishing failure on a presidency and, by extension, the country. As Samuel Johnson wisely noted: "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Old 09-19-2009, 06:29 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,442,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Quoted from johnwk1:
"America, we have a problem, we have been attacked from within! We are being destroyed from within by a group of domestic enemies who have managed to seize political power and whose mission is in fact to bring “change” to America ___ the dismantling of our military defensive power; the allowance of our borders to be overrun by foreign invaders, the destruction of our manufacturing capabilities; the strangulation of our agricultural industry and ability to produce food under the guise of environmental necessity; the looting of our federal treasury; the brainwashing of our nation’s children in government operated schools; the creation of an iron fisted control unauthorized by our written Constitution over free enterprise; the devaluation of our nation’s currency, and, the future enslavement of our children and grand children via unbridled debt and inflation, not to mention an iron fisted government which intends to rule their lives! "
The problems America faces did not begin on January 20th of 2009, and just because Bush is back in Crawford cutting brush it certainly does not absolve him from any responsibility
Here we agree! The problems began way back in 1913 when our constitutionally limited system of government was overturned and seized by our Wall Street Crowd, the crowd which was recently bailed out by the federal government promising to tax the paychecks of hard working people living in Harlem, South Philly, Newark, and Camden, N.J., and other inner cities.

Hopefully you will wake up and drop the Republican vs Democrat nonsense which keeps the people divided and the Establishment in power.

JWK

"To lay with one hand the power of the government on the property of the citizen and with the other to bestow upon favored individuals, to aid private enterprises and build up private fortunes is none the less a robbery because it is done under forms of law and called taxation." ____ Savings and Loan Assc. v. Topeka,(1875).

Old 09-19-2009, 07:11 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk1 View Post
Here we agree! The problems began way back in 1913 when our constitutionally limited system of government was overturned and seized by our Wall Street Crowd, the crowd which was recently bailed out by the federal government promising to tax the paychecks of hard working people living in Harlem, South Philly, Newark, and Camden, N.J., and other inner cities.

Hopefully you will wake up and drop the Republican vs Democrat nonsense which keeps the people divided and the Establishment in power.

JWK

"To lay with one hand the power of the government on the property of the citizen and with the other to bestow upon favored individuals, to aid private enterprises and build up private fortunes is none the less a robbery because it is done under forms of law and called taxation." ____ Savings and Loan Assc. v. Topeka,(1875).

I have no illusions about the inherent corruption of both political parties; they use politics, religion, lies and class to divide us. However, given the reality of our two-party system, I choose to align myself with that party which at least makes a pretense of not siding with the military-industrial
complex, and has been the party to support civil rights legislation and other laws which have been for the benefit of the people. Better an occasional bone than a steady diet of hot air.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
http://finance.senate.gov/sitepages/leg/LEG%202009/091909%20AHFA%20Coverage%20Amendments.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
The Amendments Are In — All 564 of Them

Old 09-20-2009, 03:42 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I like nurse practitioners better myself. I can see them for the little things and it's a lot cheaper. Plus the ones I've dealt with are a lot nicer than doctors.
That's not to say all doctors have horrible bedside manner and all the NPs are just Sally or Sal Sunshine but this has just been my experience.

Some people will always feel like they are getting THE BEST health care when they're dealing with someone with a Dr. next to their name versus a nurse practitioner.
It is unfortunate but many physicians do have a poor bedside manner. I wish our medical schools and residencies did more to improve empathy and consideration for patients. I'm not in your situation so I don't know what I would do. I can understand seeing a nurse practioner particularly if it was really difficult to find a physician with a good bed side manner and one who wasn't so booked up for months in advance. I'm sure you've noticed the physicians who are the nicest with regard to demeanor are often the busiest.

You should be aware there is a huge difference in training between physicians and NP's. Physicians endure longer training, are required to know more information, take more difficult licensing exams and have more responsibility during their training particularly in residency. The quality in the training is significant. The reason I bring this up is many seemingly harmless conditions can actually be more serious. You really want to be seen by someone who is trained to recognize subtle discrepancies. I've often seen patients who have been poorly managed by NP's particularly with regards to medication disbursement. Often times, NP's will not recognize that certain medications shouldn't be prescribed together or the wrong ones are prescribed. One common mistake I see done by NP's is prescribing statins and fibric acid derivatives together which increases one's risk for rabdomyolisis. The patietns I get referred to by NP's will often have this in their medication profile.

I think Nurse Practioners do serve a function and should operate in rural areas and other areas where there are physician shortages. This was the reason behind the creation of NP's in the first place but unfortunately many of them choose to remain and practice in metropolitan areas which does nothing but forces them to compete with physicians and add to already increased patient confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies