Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 PM

40 posts, read 47,013 times

Advertisements

Unless of course you are including physicians, most of the rest of the hospital employee base would not consider them employees at all but more like independent contractors with rights at the hospital. The guy who I was referring to earlier was talking about England healthcare workers, nurses and such, being the driver of healthcare costs there. I was renouncing his point as it has nothing to do with the U.S. and the nurse pay or healthcare employees as a whole have little to do with the costs of healthcare. Again physicians are usually their own bosses and shouldn't be included in the "healthcare employee" label.

Last edited by Zurie1; 10-02-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Funny how I'm not finding "healthcare employee wages" in any of these articles...

Why Health Care Costs Too Much

NCHC | Facts About Healthcare - Health Insurance Costs (http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml - broken link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/op...ewanted=3&_r=1

Yahoo! Personal Finance: Calculators,Money Advice,Guides,& More

Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Well a democrat on the budget commitee just said that he can't understand this latest bill, he said it was nothing but gibberish. So let us pass it for the heck of it.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 AM

Which democrat? I love how there are many inferences and NO actual references. Especially since most of the b.s. stated comes from Faux News.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurie1 View Post
Unless of course you are including physicians, most of the rest of the hospital employee base would not consider them employees at all but more like independent contractors with rights at the hospital. The guy who I was referring to earlier was talking about England healthcare workers, nurses and such, being the driver of healthcare costs there. I was renouncing his point as it has nothing to do with the U.S. and the nurse pay or healthcare employees as a whole have little to do with the costs of healthcare. Again physicians are usually their own bosses and shouldn't be included in the "healthcare employee" label.
You need to make a distinction between "healthcare employees" and "hospital employees". It is true that physicians, for the most part (we've had this argument before on CD), are employed outside of hospitals. However, they are still health care workers. The same is true of many physical and occupational therapists, nutritionists, pharmacists, and many other health care workers. Nurses are the major employees in hospitals. Nurses have worked hard to get a decent wage; I'd hate to see those gains eroded.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 AM

Oh wait I found it, it's the site Michele Malkin is a commentator on, yeah really "legitimate" for a "news source"

Old 10-03-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You need to make a distinction between "healthcare employees" and "hospital employees". It is true that physicians, for the most part (we've had this argument before on CD), are employed outside of hospitals. However, they are still health care workers. The same is true of many physical and occupational therapists, nutritionists, pharmacists, and many other health care workers. Nurses are the major employees in hospitals. Nurses have worked hard to get a decent wage; I'd hate to see those gains eroded.
Indeed. I was pointing out the fallacy of the notion that wages of nurses and other healthcare employees are the drivers of healthcare costs. Nurses are understaffed, overworked, and underpaid (considering all they do, I'm surprised they don't complain more).

Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 AM

Key Drivers Of Health Care Costs Identified And Analyzed By Internists' New Paper

High and Rising Health Care Costs - RWJF

Key Drivers of Health Care Costs Analyzed by ACP President Dr. Joseph Stubbs (http://behavioralhealthcentral.com/index.php/2009092186128/Special-Features/key-drivers-of-health-care-costs-analyzed-by-acp-president.html - broken link)

Nowhere in these sources even does it say "wages of physicians OR healthcare workers OR anything like it"

Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurie1 View Post
Indeed. I was pointing out the fallacy of the notion that wages of nurses and other healthcare employees are the drivers of healthcare costs. Nurses are understaffed, overworked, and underpaid (considering all they do, I'm surprised they don't complain more).
Agree. Having watched my mother in law die an awful death of cancer, my own mother expire at 88, having had my own surgeries and procedures, and having seen the care given by nursing staffs, I can tell the world in no uncertain terms that nurses are at the top of the list of unsung heroes in our society. Bless them.

Rick Sanchez of CNN had a jerk on his show a few weeks ago, one of those types that Wall Street loves, who buys up hospitals and then cuts the numbers of staffers, cuts the quality of supplies and surgical goods (like replacement hip joints, etc) and cuts everything he can in order milk all the money he can out of it. The guy's name is Rich Scott and he actually looks like a blood-sucking ghoul. Scott is a large part of what's wrong with our medical care, we are in the grip of an unholy alliance of creeps who intend to bleed us dry, no pun intended. See the video here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Obama: We Can't Have Job Growth Without Health Care Reform

I was just saying on another thread that if we fix health care, it helps fix the economy. I got on HuffPost and look at what I found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies