Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 PM

539 posts, read 699,999 times

Advertisements

"Ultimately, the complete lives system does not create 'classes of Untermenschen whose lives and well being are deemed not worth spending money on,' but rather empowers us to decide fairly whom to save when genuine scarcity makes saving everyone impossible."

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
"When implemented, the complete lives system produces a priority curve on which individuals aged between roughly 15 and 40 years get the most substantial chance, whereas the youngest and oldest people get chances that are attenuated"

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel

Comment?
*L* I know you prefer picture books to academic articles on ethics, so I know you haven't read his article. Go read the actual article on ethics for which he was a co-author and get back to me. The link has been provided multiple times on this site. If you can tell me how John Rawls was used in the the paper, I'll take it as a sign that you at least tried to read the article and will discuss it with you.

Edit: Make sure that you look up the word 'scarcity' too. I don't think you know what that means or how that provides a context for certain discussions.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You're still peddling the "kill Granny" crap? My grandmother is a hardcore Republican and doesn't even believe that load.

But once again, how about providing a link to the actual section of the bill where the discussion of how a euthanasia plan will be forced upon my people like my grandmother. Is there accompanying legislation for making euthanasia legal in this country as well?

I guess the good thing would be that I'd come into some money earlier. I'll tell my grandmother that as we lead her to the "sleep chamber." I know that will make her happy.

(And by the way, Betsy McCaughey, who started the "kill granny" propaganda, is a proven liar. But I know you like your women that way, so I doubt that will make the slightest bit of difference to you.)
http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/PIIS0140673609601379.pdf

Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I've already read it. Why don't you give it a try.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Ok, I'll help you. Here's the first sentence of the abstract:

"Allocation of very scarce medical interventions such as organs and vaccines is a persistent ethical challenge."

What does that mean to you in terms of the context of the article?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dear sir
42 threads most of them anti obama.
are you part of an organization that directs you to do this?
Oh, (IL)Logical Wings is a free thinker. Can't you tell?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 AM

“Attenuated” means, “to make thin; to weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value.” Attenuated care would be reduced or lessened care.

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel included a chart with his work which shows how he wants to allocate medical resources under a government plan:

This chart is in the link I provided.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yuppers , those unedicated voters.....And I haven't quite figured out the GRAMMAR yet !

"Voters who never before went to vote"

???
Letz asoom i haz an importent messige - duz it matterz if i spellz it rong as long az yooz understandz it?

Lets assume I have message that is utterly unimportant. Does the fact that I spelled every word correctly make the message any more important?

Calling out spelling errors on these forums says more about you than the guy who fat-fingered a key while watching TV and drinking a beer.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 AM

"Conversely, services provided to individuals who are irreversibly prevented from being or becoming participating citizens are not basic and should not be guaranteed.

An obvious example is not guaranteeing health services to patients with dementia.

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel

http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/Where_Civic...cracy_Meet.pdf

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
“Attenuated” means, “to make thin; to weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value.” Attenuated care would be reduced or lessened care.
Thanks for sharing when you looked it up, but I already know lots of "big" words.

Quote:
Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel included a chart with his work which shows how he wants to allocate medical resources under a government plan:

This chart is in the link I provided.
And now provide a chart about the general health and incidents of illness of people according to the age groups represented in that chart. See any correlation?

Do you understand yet what scarcity means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies