Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,250,562 times

Advertisements

Funny, the conservatives take issue with the study but the liberals say "it is right on point!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM

1,247 posts, read 922,518 times
Spunky, it sounds like you answered your own question, then. Liberals tend to travel more, rather than travelling making someone liberal.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Spunky, it sounds like you answered your own question, then. Liberals tend to travel more, rather than travelling making someone liberal.
But I don't agree with this. And traveling is different than living in and being immersed in another country's culture.
I would love to see how they determined that "liberals travel more."
Does travel mean a trip to Grandma's on Thanksgiving, does it mean a group tour with a guide and a pre-planned itinerary?
I've traveled in Europe with a pack on my back and a train pass. That's the way to see the another country (IMO). I can appreciate another country but not agree with their politics.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM

774 posts, read 2,491,688 times
Remember, this is all one side of the equation with regard to political views on only social issues. On the other side, as the article alluded to near the end, is economic self-interest. So, while highly educated people might become more liberal with their social views on average, they also tend to be more conservative regarding the economy since they earn the highest incomes.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 AM

1,247 posts, read 922,518 times
Spunky, they're making generalizations based on behavior. Maybe you're not a typical conservative, who knows? There are certainly many factors that determine your ideology. This is just the beginning of the research. I'm sure this will to better way to manipulate (control) the minds of the populace.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 AM

I understand. I'm just saying that it is interesting that the liberal social scientists come up with a study attributing all desirable traits (educated, fearless, flexible) to liberals and all the unattractive (rigid, fearful) to conservatives.
I think the data is flawed, but whats new.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:35 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,077,839 times
Here's another quote from the article:
"...For liberals, conservatives, and independents alike, thinking about death actually makes people more conservative—at least temporarily....".
If I look at this article solely on the basis of 9/11, I agree that a more conservative perspective was ignited by fear of death. After all, with the WTC attack, all of us in the US felt fear, and one of those fears was death, and imminent death. I remember clearly how I felt, first as I heard the news; as the news unfolded and we learned it wasn't an accident; what I would do next: look for my family and friends to assure myself they were safe; send my staff home in Albany; try to find a solution for the staff in NYC; and then decide what course of action was best for me. I decided to leave my office building and walk the 3-5 miles to the closest person in NYC in my life: my god-daughter (who had just seen all the people jumping from the Towers whilst walking her dog).

I would have left the building sooner, but my closest colleague was enroute from Albany to NYC on Amtrak, and I had to re-assure myself he was safe.

I was only ONE of two people in my office that left the building before Noon. Most of the staff (and we are talking professional people, and non-professional alike) were too afraid to move--anywhere.

What I felt was if we were going to be attacked again (assuming that day), I wanted to be with someone I loved and who loved me. I don't know how others felt, but that was an imperative!

Later, as the facts and the event took different directions, my fears were reduced and my fear of death diminished. However, many around me found their fears heightened and looked for an immediate solution to erase their fear. A counter-attack on the Taliban was a sure-fire solution to those that wanted "an immediate remedy" to their fear and their anger.

However, and this is important, immediate thoughts and long-term thinking are vastly different.

Also I want to underscore this is just an article about several studies. It is not the studies themselves. Therefore, we are seeing two layers of a series of interpretations not a single unified concept.

It is clear that many biases exist in all of the individual studies, but nonetheless based on my limited knowledge and short-term experience here on this board, I would surmise that some, not all, of the notions (and notions are not fact) have a basis in reality.

Also, as LeavingFlorida05 and I have discussed on another thread, much of what we take in is "advertising blitz" and propaganda. Propaganda can be lethal from the right or the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
why the fear of death can you explain that? I do agree it is about personal experiences--thats why i am what I am for sure. My childhood, family, faith, education, economic, social, experiences are the largest part of what shapes us as human beings and human political beings

Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,077,839 times
When I review in my head, not any facts, I see the more affluent, and I mean very wealthy, as conservative not liberal. I would estimate that the largest percentage of CEOs and even foundation directors are Republican. Could be proven wrong on this, easily, but it is my personal observation. However, I agree that at least one friend I know who is highly educated, changed political views as they rose on the economic ladder--to upper middle-class. So, if this friend made that switch, it is most likely that others also became more conservative regarding their pockets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Remember, this is all one side of the equation with regard to political views on only social issues. On the other side, as the article alluded to near the end, is economic self-interest. So, while highly educated people might become more liberal with their social views on average, they also tend to be more conservative regarding the economy since they earn the highest incomes.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Heres a rebuttal;
http://volokh.com/posts/chain_1143139928.shtml

Old 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Unfortunately I have to go to work now but I would be interested to see the response to my link I posted if anyone bothers to read it. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies