Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Apples and oranges. Big difference between ripping into your self-dealing congress member at a town hall meeting to draw attention to the fact that Americans DO NOT WANT this program in any form and a candidate for POTUS running around to foreign nations and apologizing for the US.

Yes, there is a big difference. But it's still not the point. I'm all for ripping into our elected officials at town meetings. It's part of the reason I love to go to these things. Rip into him, then sit down and let someone else have their turn. That's what most of the people attending the town meetings do. The only issue I have is when, after ripping into him, some attendees have continued to shout or chant or otherwise disrupt the meeting. And have been effective. Let other people, including the elected official, have the chance to talk. It may get heated, it should get heated. There may be people who are angry when they come and still angry when they leave. But everyone should leave knowing a little more than when they came, even if that little bit is just that their neighbor two doors down is worried about cancer that runs in her family, or that their son's teacher has a disabled brother living with him, and doesn't want to lose his disability checks that help cover the monthly mortgage payment. When we start putting human faces on the healthcare issue, we can start discussing what people really want from their healthcare system and what they don't want. Having a discourse is what this country needs. We don't need any more shouting matches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
THIS is probably what has the NeoConfused so up in arms: "Let the facts be heard"

You know what is another way to "let the facts be heard"?

Give up?

Reading the bills.

Remember when the stimulus bill was needed so urgently that no one was given time to read it, then Dear Leader took five days to sign it.

So how's that unread legislation working?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times

Love it!

I think I'll E-Mail that to my Rep. John Dingell.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Is it any surprise that these clowns have the lowest approval ratings in history and yet expect us to roll over and let them give us this boondoggle. Shut up Nancy and go buy another Gulfstream. Leave us alone.

'Un-American' attacks can't derail health care debate - Opinion - USATODAY.com
Reading is fundamental.

Can't respond to your gibberish unless you learn basic facts.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, there is a big difference. But it's still not the point. I'm all for ripping into our elected officials at town meetings. It's part of the reason I love to go to these things. Rip into him, then sit down and let someone else have their turn. That's what most of the people attending the town meetings do. The only issue I have is when, after ripping into him, some attendees have continued to shout or chant or otherwise disrupt the meeting. And have been effective. Let other people, including the elected official, have the chance to talk. It may get heated, it should get heated. There may be people who are angry when they come and still angry when they leave. But everyone should leave knowing a little more than when they came, even if that little bit is just that their neighbor two doors down is worried about cancer that runs in her family, or that their son's teacher has a disabled brother living with him, and doesn't want to lose his disability checks that help cover the monthly mortgage payment. When we start putting human faces on the healthcare issue, we can start discussing what people really want from their healthcare system and what they don't want. Having a discourse is what this country needs. We don't need any more shouting matches.
I appreciate your point. But the way you, Pelosi and the media make it sound like this is happening at each and every town meeting and it's all the other side fault.

We all saw the videos. Yep, there was some loud mouths there. People are angry. All the crap that Bush gave us and now the guy who said things will be different are giving us the same crap.

There needs to be more decorum. Thankfully Obama was pushed into moving the date back somewhat to allow more meaningful discussion to come out over the plan.

Dissent and public debate are part of the first amendment. Things didn't get violent until Obama put his union thugs into the meetings.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post

Would that be something like the action a group of seniors took in try to see their senator, Barbara Boxer? She refused to see them and called the cops on them.

Really ready to deal with the voters there, Babs.
Cite, please.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I appreciate your point. But the way you, Pelosi and the media make it sound like this is happening at each and every town meeting and it's all the other side fault.

We all saw the videos. Yep, there was some loud mouths there. People are angry. All the crap that Bush gave us and now the guy who said things will be different are giving us the same crap.

There needs to be more decorum. Thankfully Obama was pushed into moving the date back somewhat to allow more meaningful discussion to come out over the plan.

Dissent and public debate are part of the first admendmant. Things didn't get violent until Obama put his union thugs into the meetings.
But I'm not saying that it's happening at every town meeting. And I'm not blaming conservatives, either. I think that one of the biggest risks of having a legislature that's so dominated by one party like ours is today, is the lack of balance. Our system is a delicate balancing act, and balance is something that I think we should all try to maintain at all times. Part of that balance requires us listening to each other, conservative or liberal, crazy or sane, fascist or communist. Because even crazy people have perfectly logical, sane, reasonable concerns about the government. Even liberals agree with conservatives some of the time. Even communists can tell us something we didn't know. It concerns me that there are people who are so angry and so scared about healthcare, and about healthcare reform. I want to know what scares you, and should I be scared, too. I want you to know that I've got concerns and issues with this healthcare plan, too. But if you're so angry and so scared that you can't articulate your concerns, and only repeat talking points provided to you by a third party, I can't connect with you. If you're so angry and so scared that you won't listen to anyone else, no one can connect with you. The kind of government we have depends on all of us connecting with each other in order to make this system work. The enemies aren't the people with whom we disagree. The enemies are the people who don't want us to connect with each other, who don't want us to have this conversation, who don't want us to negotiate and find a way to make healthcare reform work. And I'm not saying that they have control of the process. I'm not saying that they are present at every town meeting. I'm not advocating a sort of paranoia. Because that's the problem with the unions and other groups interceding in this discourse. I don't want the problem to grow. That's why I've been on this forum asking people to not shout-down other people, asking people to think about the human part of this issue, asking people to do their own research. Go to the meetings, ask questions, it's great that people are so involved right now. It's great that we have the internet and so many ways to connect. I just want us to focus on connecting, and not trying to shut each other up.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
A fairly typical attack on Speaker Pelosi. Devoid of evidence, built on opinion and wishful thinking, and almost completely nonsensical (how does being rich mean that one cannot champion social causes for the poor?).

Keep building on your irrelevance, righties. It's working great!

oh, I was laughing so hard at this post I gave you a rep, let me say you diserve one for the most loopy comment I have read today
Nancy Pelosi should do what even dems are saying today: shut up, Nancy
even Obama said in his little speech today that there is a healthy debate going on.
Devoid of evidence....hahahaha
that's a good one
have you checked out her poll numbers, shamefully, they are lower than
Palin and you can not get much lower that that, but keep standing up for the ole hag, she needs it....bad!!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Look how desperate they are....what's next "Lapel Pin gate II"??????

Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So true. But I would think that even your average 5th grader can understand a such a simple sentence.

"Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American."

Even if you break it down to its most simple parts.

[Drowning out] [views] [is] [un-American.]

its hard for me to fathom how one could confuse the original statement with;

"Speaker of the House and Majority Leaders Say Criticizing the Government is UN-American."

But perhaps it is more a matter of mendacity (Lying) than a problem with comprehension.
I'm a 4th grade drop out and gosh, if I was trisexual or an illegal alien from West Goombagoomba you would have such compassion for me, but alas I'm just a dumb guy. So why do you feel it is ok to be so mean, selfish and uncaring towards those of us who just aren't as smart as you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies