Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No, Bush said criticizing his policy was un-American.

Since this thread is about calling criticizers un-American, I think it is pertinent to the discussion. Why? You want to hide and bury the history of Bush?
I am sorry. I still don't see what Bush has to do with Obama.

If I were still living in 2006, I would care what Bush is doing (as I did) but this is 2009.

Obama got elected on a promise of transparency and I think a lot of folks believed him.

Are you trying to say that b/c Bush labeled something un-American, that gives Obama the right to say the same lame thing?

But hey - doesn't matter to me! I am used to hearing one thing during campaigns and another thing once a person is elected.

No wonder so many folks don't trust politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Speaking of Repeating!

NO ONE has labeled dissent as being un-American. The quote was, drowning out the voices of others is un-American.

Surely this can't be this difficult?
Well then you must think Pelosi is un -American.

Congressional Democrats Prevent Republican Minority From Mailing To Constituents | The Minority Report (http://www.theminorityreportblog.com/hinzsight_story/david_hinz/2009/07/23/congressional_democrats_prevent_republican_minorit y_from_mailing_to_constituents - broken link)

I agree. Make sure to forward to White House snitch line.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:40 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Did you even READ the article you linked? Or did you simply misconstrue the title of the article and go from there? Your title for this thread is quite simply WRONG.

Speaker of the House and Majority Leader say critisizing the government is unamerican.

These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views — but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American. Drowning out the facts is how we failed at this task for decades.

OK, I'm reading it and I'm getting it. In my opinion, it makes perfect sense. Not only is the title correct and appropriate, but you seem to have no answer for the post. I've seen the left using this same diversionary tactic lately. Seems very coordinated to me.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
If you think being popular is so important for them, there's one thing that would help immensely: getting rid of more GOP members. You know they're the ones that are dragging down the average, right? Or do you like to just skip that part?

Oops! Change course! First claim was garbage - try something else!

Generic Congressional Ballot - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢

Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Even after your BS title was debunked you came back with even more rhetoric.

YouTube - Klavan On The Culture

Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Behaving badly? LOL! Perhaps it is a legitimate response to the half-assed way Congress and the Executive Branch have approached this issue. Perhaps people cry foul when someone proposes spending trillions yet speaks of cost containment in the same paragraph. Or perhaps they are tired of being branded racist when they simply disagree.

Seems to me Pelosi & Co are feeling the heat and are doing what cornered rats to- leap and bite. Everybody wants some kind of health care reform. If they had taken the high road, very few people would be opossing them with such venom. They reap what they sow.

But I will agree the use of swastikas is a bit tastless.
I think most American citizens want some kind of healthcare reform. I do not think that the insurance companies or the pharmaceutical and medical supply companies want healthcare reform. I do not think that all doctors want healthcare reform, though some do. And I think that insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies have ample funds to wage a sort of below-the-horizon campaign against healthcare reform than in conjunction with partisan opposition to this particular reform legislation has created a very divisive public issue. And my comment about behaving badly is because it doesn't have to be a divisive issue. We need healthcare reform. As a country, we cannot afford to devote this proportion of our GNP to healthcare when the rest of the world spends far less on healthcare. And as citizens, we cannot afford to take the word of people with an agenda. The town hall meetings were not an example of taking the low road. Letting unions become involved is an example of low road. But the protesters weren't just citizens attending a meeting and letting their representatives know their concerns and problems with this pending legislation. The shouting and misbehaving on their part was also taking the low road, the moreso because they tried to pretend that the bad behavior was good behavior. I'm not a fan of Pelosi, but I'm also not a Californian, so she's not there on my behalf. As far as I'm concerned, she advances partisanship in Congress, and that may be part of her job since the House of Representatives, by virtue of the way they are elected, are supposed to be much more regionally loyal than other federally elected officials. But the partisanship has reached levels that impeded effective government, and to me that is a problem. However, that problem is completely separate from the topic at hand. Which was Pelosi's characterization of the people disrupting town meetings. And I think her analysis was correct, and her public statement of that analysis a demonstration of party politics being played with a heavy hand.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Drowning out opposing views is rude. Many Americans lack class and basic manners. That's the problem.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Apples and oranges. Big difference between ripping into your self-dealing congress member at a town hall meeting to draw attention to the fact that Americans DO NOT WANT this program in any form and a candidate for POTUS running around to foreign nations and apologizing for the US.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This is a misattribution. I love the sentiment. But Jefferson experts dispute that this is actually a quote of his.
Yup, your right...should have researched that one. Thanks for the correction.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Wingnuts and teabaggers are drowning out opposing views. Haven't you been watching the news?

The leadership of the right, and the astroturf organizations - like the ones that organized the teabagger movement - are promoting the disruption of townhall meetings around the country. Their goal is to shut down debate.

Now they're busy trying to prove that it was the left that wanted to shutdown the townhall meetings being held by those representatives that support health care reform. I know ... that's too stupid for anyone to believe. But wingnuts are a truly stupid lot of people.

Shut down debate?

The only reason we are having any debate at all right now is because Dear Leader and the Democrats in Congress couldn't ram this down our throats the same way they did the stimulus slush fund.

Can you name a significant piece of legislation that has been read, let alone debated, by this current government?

Seems I recall a certain Representative from California dropping a 300 page amendment on Cap and Trade the morning of the vote.

Ever think about what you're going to post before you hit "submit reply"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies