Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You are not blaming Obama for this are you? I hope not. Bad things tend to happen when people vote Republican!
I know, then you get a Republican in office and they start taking away the freebies!!! Next thing you know you will actually have to be responsible for your own actions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 PM

34 posts, read 119,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I know, then you get a Republican in office and they start taking away the freebies!!! Next thing you know you will actually have to be responsible for your own actions!!!

Tax cuts are freebies too, especially when we fight wars that we don't really pay for

Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
I'm sitting at work and look out of the window and saw the stimulus package at work today. It put 3 guys to work for 1 1/2 hours each.

They were putting a sign up next to a road that would be having construction done sometime in the future. The sign said something like "funded by the American Recovery Act".

How stupid is the federal govt? I wonder how much money they are wasting putting these permanant signs up at every road they will do construction on. The construction wont probably start until all of their advertising is up in the form of these road signs.
That begs the question...what are you doing staring out the window instead of working?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM

221 posts, read 437,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
and why is this a concern of yours? The Feds hands out the stimulus money to every state & then they dole it out to your state's Dept. of Transportation so perhaps your gripe should be with the state you live in instead of the Feds.
Not talking about the federal money to go to something worth it... like roads. Im talking about the signs. Driving down I-471 near Cleveland, I saw it again. There were 2 signs... 1 mile apart, both announcing the greatness of the stimulus package. They were doing shoulder work. Do you really need signs for 10 ft of shoulder work.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:10 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
Quote:
I'm sitting at work and look out of the window and saw the stimulus package at work today. It put 3 guys to work for 1 1/2 hours each.

They were putting a sign up next to a road that would be having construction done sometime in the future. The sign said something like "funded by the American Recovery Act".

How stupid is the federal govt? I wonder how much money they are wasting putting these permanant signs up at every road they will do construction on. The construction wont probably start until all of their advertising is up in the form of these road signs.
the money went to pay the people to put up the sign. creating jobs? oh yes!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:36 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Yup, it is working in my parents town and my old hometown very well.

We now have 30-40 homeless living under a bridge in the downtown area where there used to be zero homeless under it.

Stimulus must be on its way to help those who have lost their homes in record numbers in the last 8 months right?

Record foreclosures and bankruptcies tells me it is really working well!

NOT

Old 08-21-2009, 05:45 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You are not blaming Obama for this are you? I hope not. Bad things tend to happen when people vote Republican!
and nothing happens when people vote dem. except wasting money .more signs more signs they will actually fall for it

Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

I think this is a clear case of, damned if you do, and damned if you don't. People have been complaining that they don't know or can't see where any of the stimulus money is going ... but if they start putting up signs telling you where some of it's going, people whine about that.

Agreed.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM

19 posts, read 33,303 times
Quote:

It would be a good use of some stimulus $. People who might otherwise be out of work might make the signs, but I'll bet the contract was awarded to something like Prison Industries or some waste of money like that.

Iowa Prison Industries.
Provides inmate produced products including housewares, furniture, clothing, and signs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies