Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 43,150 times

Advertisements

I’m live in Ukraine and politicians in my country extremely like to tell about the quantity of life in EU & U.S. According to their speeches, people who live in EU & U.S. almost don’t know what corruption is! Actually, I have some doubts about this information! So, is it true? If no, can you write some examples of corruption in your country? For example in Ukraine corruption is everywhere! If you a private businessman and you are going to set up your own business, you have to pay to municipal power, cause without this “payment” it’s impossible to get permission for creating your own business! Justice is fully of corruption too! Our trial it’s kinda like auction where verdict depends on sum of money, which you have to pay! And who will pay more will be the winner! It’s just a couple of examples. But, generally speaking, corruption in Ukraine has some advantages too! Because many people are earning money with help of corruption!

What can you say about corruption in your country? What’s your attitude to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,434 times
My country, the United States, is fairly corrupt but there are a lot of worse places.

The primary example of corruption is actually the two party system. The Democrats and Republican parties in this country have rigged the election laws so that 3rd parties really don't have a chance of success. I am not talking about the electoral college but rather the laws about what is necessary to get on the ballot as a 3rd party candidate. The presidential elections are basically about who can raise the most money. Some have joked that we really don't need to vote we could just let the candidate with the most dollars be president. Both sides are involved in voter fraud and intimidation. The Democrats are worse for outright fraud, ie allowing felons, illegal immigrants, and dead people to vote. The Republicans are worse about intimidation discouraging minority voters. Both parties are in the pocket of big business and have turned a blind eye to illegal immigration. The Democrats do it because they know that many of the illegal immigrants who vote(illegally) will vote for them. Republicans do it because big businesses make a lot of money from illegal labor and reward candidates who ignore it with huge campaign contributions.

Both parties use tax dollars to buy votes with pork barrel projects.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,288 times
The U.S. is pretty corrupt, but it's generally more subtle. Obvious corruption is usually snuffed out so that the typical American sheep continues to believe that this country is (mostly) free of corruption. Still, there are places that are certainly worse than the U.S., in this respect.

I've heard that Iceland and New Zealand are two of the nations with the least amount of corruption.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
of course there is corruption in the USA,thank goodness the founders realized that corruption is inherent and placed a system of checks and balances to minimize it.It has not been 100% effective but has worked pretty well so far.

The thing about America's Republic form and Constitution is that it relies on its citizens being involved with a certain amount of morality.Unfortunately as time has gone by less and less citizens have followed this path and instead of living the ideal that "America is great because America is good" have instead followed the path of "America is great because I get rich the easy way and ********* you in the meantime".

America still leads the path on the idea of individual rights,again though too many have decided to trade away freedom and responsibilty for what they "think" is a easier way and security.

I know a good person who came from Bulgaria a few years ago with not much money.With hard work and some savy he has become a valued employee at my last company.He now is a manager,taking on the job for less money compared to the responsibilty he has but is gaining experience to one day he will in a position to gain top money at his skill.Success is not guranteed here,but you can do good if you sacrifice.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
My country, the United States, is fairly corrupt but there are a lot of worse places..
...The U.S. is pretty corrupt...
Some of us in the U.S., not having traveled extensively, just have no conception of how widespread it is in other countries. We are comparing corruption as a way of life and economy (in some developing countreis) vs. corruption as an exception (in the U.S.). Of course there is some corruption in the U.S. but it is NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING like some parts of the world. Imagine being pulled over by the police and knowing that you will have to bribe them to move on, you just expect it and expense for it. Imagine to enter or leave a country you have to bribe a customs official, you just budget for it. You just expect it in some countries and live with it as a way of life.
I've been to Indonesia, South Africa, Poland, etc. In Indonesia the travel books would actually recommend you keep some money on hand to pay off the police when (not if) you get pulled over. Fortunetly it does not take much to buy them off. Just a little "baksheesh".
I submit to his guy from Ukraine, I've never been there, but I can safely assume it is of a level that can not even be compared to the U.S. It does not exist as a normal activity and our checks and balances pretty much keep it under control, but it does happen. One big difference perhaps - people are much more expensive to buy out here. When a politician goes currupt it is not for a free dinner or night on the town, but for millions of dollars.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
I agree with Dd7I4.

It's not as bad here as in many countries that aren't under the 'rule of law', not that it's 100% perfect either, humans being what they are. America is a fundamentally religiously based country. By that I don't mean oppressive, I mean a consideration for other man, and it's a value at all levels of society.

One of my best friends is from the Ukraine. Every day he says "thank god for the USA". He is so happy to be here. We still do have those who will cheat others, but society looks down on them if not arrests them, and they are certainly not the majority by any means. Graft as you speak of it, especially govt graft, is not at all common. People wouldn't put up with it. Our free press (even with its negatives), and now the internet, are important in this country as a way to keep things in check. I feel that we do have input into our society, and that is the definition of democracy as I see it.

I hope you get to visit us sometime.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,858 times
Let's put this way: For any government official one can find in this country at ANY level down to your local selectmen at town hall that isn't corrupt, I'll go and find a person 200 living and breathing California Condors.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
My country, the United States, is fairly corrupt but there are a lot of worse places.

The primary example of corruption is actually the two party system. The Democrats and Republican parties in this country have rigged the election laws so that 3rd parties really don't have a chance of success. I am not talking about the electoral college but rather the laws about what is necessary to get on the ballot as a 3rd party candidate. The presidential elections are basically about who can raise the most money. Some have joked that we really don't need to vote we could just let the candidate with the most dollars be president. Both sides are involved in voter fraud and intimidation. The Democrats are worse for outright fraud, ie allowing felons, illegal immigrants, and dead people to vote. The Republicans are worse about intimidation discouraging minority voters. Both parties are in the pocket of big business and have turned a blind eye to illegal immigration. The Democrats do it because they know that many of the illegal immigrants who vote(illegally) will vote for them. Republicans do it because big businesses make a lot of money from illegal labor and reward candidates who ignore it with huge campaign contributions.

Both parties use tax dollars to buy votes with pork barrel projects.

Indeed, in some way it can seems rather strange, that the most develop country in democracy has just 2 parties which can struggle for power! But, Ukraine has many parties (more than 100!) and they always take part in elections, but situation is the same! Election can win only a few parties which have tycoons-money in their squad and some abilities to impact on the Ukrainian regions and people votes!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:37 PM

Perhaps, the main question is not which countries have & which country doesn’t have corruption? Maybe the right definition can be like what country has less level of corruption than other? And how does the state power control it? I think a lot of depends on mentality of regions, cause in some part of world it’s quite normal to give and take bribes, but in another countries people attitude can be rather negative. Also important reason of existing corruption is the condition of economic level and developments of the state. If people have high salary and if this wage can allow them to provide normal life, evidently, that they wouldn’t try to use their position at job in their own interest and so one, cause it could be dangerous for them to lose what they’ve got already! But it’s not enough! They should feel threatens in the vision of justice and ought to realize, that it would be impossible to buy judge (police) off by giving a bribe!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
I think the difference is in the reaction if they are found out, ie, caught in whatever they are doing. Will they be looked down upon and punished, or will people just shrug their shoulders as that's the way things are normally done and fear them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies