Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 PM

7,092 posts, read 12,614,811 times

Advertisements

My parents have been pretty happy with Medicare, that's a govt.-run program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,819,082 times
Over the past few weeks there has been so much ill informed information being provided by the media that it’s hard for many to know just what is or isn’t the best option or plan that is being proposed in Congress right now. There are many things that you and I will disagree about the healthcare plan, but I can assure you that what you are hearing or viewing in the media is for the most part “corporate propaganda” and scar tactics. They have a vested interest in keeping this broken healthcare system working just like it is because “they” continue to profit! The government provided Medicare system that is already in place and running well is operating at 3% operating costs compared to private insurance corporations and healthcare that are making in excess of 10% and more in profit.

Why would the corporate healthcare business put millions daily into commercials to make you believe that government is bad when it comes to health care? It’s the selling of propaganda because they make big profits on your illness and misfortune.

The healthcare system is broken and failed, if not corrected now ~ when?

CEO William McGuire of United Health Care earns $1.6 Billion in benefits. ~ yes that's B I L L I O N

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,587,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Most of our parents are happy with Medicare. So why can't we just expand on a program that we already have? Seems too easy but that's not how this govt works.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM

I guess Medicare is for the elders while we need to expand that coverage for kids, young adults, pregnant women and such...different needs require different coverage.

But, yes, I'm hoping they use Medicare as a partial business model. I have hope as there's already been one successful govt.-run universal health care plan--and I'm sure they're studying the different business models as implemented in other countries successfully.

The fear and rumor-generation that's been set in motion by the opposition is incredible--and would be laughable if it wasn't so well-financed and widely desseminated. But I hope the American people can see through the smoke and mirrors and lies.

Guess the insurance companies and Big Pharma are running scared...the rumor mill, media articles, blogs, other media coverage and town hall actions are obviously very, very well-capitalized.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 PM

822 posts, read 2,039,808 times
Quote:
Most people who receive something for nothing are very happy with it. It's the ones who receive nothing for something who complain. How selfish of them!

Why can't we all be like your parents, i.e., draw more benefits out of a system than we pay for? It's simple; you can only take out of a system what you put in--no more.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
But I hope the American people can see through the smoke and mirrors and lies.
Yes, so do I.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,935,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Most people who receive something for nothing are very happy with it. It's the ones who receive nothing for something who complain. How selfish of them!

Why can't we all be like your parents, i.e., draw more benefits out of a system than we pay for? It's simple; you can only take out of a system what you put in--no more.
I will bet that there are other Bernie Maddofs out there. They take more than they contribute. The ex-CEO of GM certainly did little for all his perks. I don't think you get out of the system what you put in, but hopefully there is some justice in the universe.

On the other hand, I believe that a certain level of health care should be afforded the public. I see it as somewhat akin to the fire department. If a depressed neighborhood witnesses a fire in someone's home their tax records should not be checked before it is decided to send the rescue crew out.

In some other countries doctors rotate onto and out of the public system so that everyone has a chance to consult with the very best.

They also have a multi-tiered system, where people who have the money can pay to go out of system.

The thing I like about the government getting involved is that they will be more attentive to the public health when considering issues dealing with pollution and the food supply. In many countries where the government foots the bill they take more care - high fructose corn syrup is banned from foods in some countries.

There are beneficial effects that we all may see from this, and it is not merely an issue of helping the poor.

The largest cause of bankruptcies are due to health treatment costs. These people are the WORKING MIDDLE CLASS who HAVE medical insurance coverage.

Surely, this cost has escalated to the point that good hard working people are becoming downwardly mobile in our system.

There are many who are now in dire straights who had comfy jobs and insurance coverage and savings. It does not take much to lose it all, and it's happening. It is not their fault that the economy took a dive. It is partly the fault of the financial benefactors of the stimulus and the fault of politicians doing away with the legal protections put in place after the Great Depression.

Businesses got us into this mess and now they are trying to brainwash us not to help their victims.

We certainly must turn this country around from representing business to the detriment of the citizens. "Of the people, by the people, and for the people' - that should mean something to us.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 PM

This gist I get from your long post is that you think it is entirely feasible that people have a right to get through a major medical problem with not only their health restored, but their financial statement unscathed as well.

I don't think the government should kick in so much as one dime towards my (or your) health care costs until I am completely out of money. Maybe not even then. Charity should be the province of churches.

After all, if I am not willing to spend my last dime to save my life, why should I ask someone else to pay for it?

It's like the old Jack Benny routine:
Robber: Your money or your life!
Jack: Long pause.......
Robber: What's it going to be? Your money or your life??
Jack: I'm thinking it over!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,615,068 times
Quote:
I don't think the government should kick in so much as one dime towards my (or your) health care costs until I am completely out of money. Maybe not even then. Charity should be the province of churches.
Well, as long as you admit that this is the prevailing model in many third-world countries, but not really elsewhere. So as long as you feel that America should copy the third-world... sure.

Also, keep in mind that we have a 2nd Amendment in this nation. The people don't necessarily have to tolerate a model where they'd be outright denied healthcare. They have the option of forcing the issue through confrontational means.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 AM

I don't think the government should kick in so much as one dime towards my (or your) health care costs until I am completely out of money. Maybe not even then.

I'm not sure how this business model would work. Once the ill person is completely out of money...kicked to the curb and homeless, then should we walk a wide circle around them as they sit on the street. Let them starve, with their newly (hopefully) recovered health, or possibly still ill but too broke to pay for continued health care?

Is this a country we want to live in?

Not me.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I'd want to extend a helping hand in the hopes it would be extended back to me.

Compassion is the glue of a functioning, caring society, the kind I personally want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies