U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 PM

124 posts, read 356,413 times

Advertisements

Is it good or bad is open for others to debate. Having lived in Hong Kong for many years, and I can tell that the healthcare reform that this administration is proposing is offering an option for many people to choose in terms of medical care. In Hong Kong and other commonwealth countries or regions, such as England and Canada, universal health care has been existed for many years. One has to emphasize that this is another option to choose from, but not the only option in health care. Obviously, the good things about this plan are that you do not need to pay a monthly premium like medical insurance and the overall cost of medical treatment is a lot cheaper. The bad thing is one may have to wait a long line for service especially for chronic illnesses that may not have an immediate health impact. If one has money but not patience, he/she can still choose the more expensive insurance option, but for those who are young and healthy, and those who are low- to middle-income families, universal health care is a bless. I fully support the health care reform. What is your thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM

6,040 posts, read 11,007,652 times
I'm with you completely. Thank you for your posting, and a view of how it works in another country.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM

814 posts, read 1,898,453 times
I'm in total disagreement.

Any time you make anything "free", there will be unlimited demand for that commodity.

Everyone is thinking they're going to get more out of the system than they put in.

Sorry, that's not going to work.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 PM

No it is not free, you have to pay your bit for the service, but it is just not as much. It is a price control idea, not freebies. It has been working in so many advanced countries for so long, I cannot imagine why it will not be working in this country.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM

10,426 posts, read 47,137,929 times
Well of course you are right. Everyone knows that our health care is the most despicable useless system run by a bunch of clowns. I despise some minimum wage clerk 3000 miles away deciding what medical treatment I should or should not get.

Only problem is anything this govt touches turns to garbage. This govt is the must useless waste of human flesh that walks and breaths. They are just big fat bureaucrats with no interest in we the peasants. Yet people support them by voting for them.

I want their health care plan. Every American should have the same plan as the bureaucrats.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM

What's an 'advanced' country?

FWIW, price controls don't work.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,145 posts, read 8,063,999 times
The problem I see, is what about us middle class folks who currently have health insurance? I pay 20% my company pays 80% of the almost $1200.00 a month premiums... Now I'm to be taxed on the company paid portion? so someone else can have it for free? I think we should either go all in, meaning a complete goverment run system like the schools, or forget it....
Need some money for it??? Cancel the next carrier fleet, 13 is enough....

Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Need some money for it??? Cancel the next carrier fleet, 13 is enough....
We had 15 (or was it 14?) when tax receipts to the government were about 30% of what they are now...wonder where all that money is going now?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
What's an 'advanced' country?

FWIW, price controls don't work.
Aren't England and Canada considered advanced countries? If you need to find the definition of "Advanced countries," pls look up some literatures.

The health care cost in this country is so overly inflated without a known reason. Inflation in price is usually due to two basic principals, supply and demand or greed. While other countries, such as Canada, are able to negotiate with drug companies to reduce the cost of drug significantly meaning that there are lots of room for drug price to move down. If price control won't work, what works?!

In addition to that, part of the reasons the health care cost in our country is so much inflated is partly because of complicated levels of administration. We should cut more cost.

I totally agree with you, Cali, all the people should have a choice to pick the right plan for ourselves. At least this administration has the gut to propose the idea of the reform although the details have to be worked out.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduckmoore View Post
Aren't England and Canada considered advanced countries? If you need to find the definition of "Advanced countries," pls look up some literatures.
By what standard? England's day in the sun is long over; Canada never had one.

Quote:
The health care cost in this country is so overly inflated without a known reason. Inflation in price is usually due to two basic principals, supply and demand or greed. While other countries, such as Canada, are able to negotiate with drug companies to reduce the cost of drug significantly meaning that there are lots of room for drug price to move down. If price control won't work, what works?!
Supply and demand are driven by 'greed'. If Canada is so successful, why to the Canadians cross our borders to use our health care system at their own expense? Also, Canada does not have our FDA to contend with. What works? The market, plain and simple. Always has, always will in spite of the best attempts to thwart it.

Quote:
In addition to that, part of the reasons the health care cost in our country is so much inflated is partly because of complicated levels of administration. We should cut more cost.
I'll agree with you there; but where do you propose to start cutting? By adding more levels of administration in government? What's the civil service G-levels up to now, about 14?

Quote:
I totally agree with you, Cali, all the people should have a choice to pick the right plan for ourselves. At least this administration has the gut to propose the idea of the reform although the details have to be worked out.
You won't have any plans to pick from EXCEPT the government option once it becomes available. Big business is all over this; they see a way of getting rid of employee health insurance once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies