Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times

Advertisements

Britain is a fine example of an economy that turned a failing Empire into a bipolar society. A few have 90% of the wealth and the rest survive on the dole. At least they have a dole. I think they figured a dole is less costly than a revolution.

We have a year of unemployment and then you can go starve for all corporate America or the bought and paid for politicians care. As far as I can figure Wal-mart destroyed more local employment that it ever created. This is extended to the factories that had to close because Wally world found cheaper suppliers in China that stretch their products using poisons and produce things using slave labor.

At least in Scandinavia you can find a job and not worry about your family’s health care if the company folds and you lose the job. I do not want my financial security dependant on anyone else. I had to fold a business because of Republican policies under Raygun and I keep grudges for a very long time.

I still maintain the vast fortunes of this country (Bush, Coors, Kennedy, Rockefeller, etc.) manipulate the politics and economy for their benefit to the detriment of the rest of us.

PS - the recession NEVER HAPPENED for the really wealthy. They never had to worry about where the rent and supper were coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:00 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,058,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

PS - the recession NEVER HAPPENED for the really wealthy. They never had to worry about where the rent and supper were coming from.
Most middle class folks, if properly prepared, could ride out a recession as well. We have, lots of folks have...just ripples in a pond. It's not about being rich, it's about being smart. The truly poor have the government (as well as private charities) to rely on. Many of those affected are those who are unprepared in general. ANY little ripple will knock them off the raft because the raft is poorly constructed. Some of these folks are learning hard but valuable lessons. Maybe they will make long term changes to provide more stability in their lives so future economic ripples do not result in tidal waves on a personal level. In that case there would be a great long term benefit to the short term turbulence and next time they'll fare much better. I'm very glad that we learned our hard lessons years ago, we weren't always prepared.

Last edited by NCyank; 08-12-2009 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Given the current job market, people who aren't layed off are not only picking up the slack but they are doing it with less pay and less hours and no 401K match and they might complain but they still trudge into work each day.
Slaves to "the man" as they need the paycheck. As long as corporations can get away with it they will. And if it works this good in a "recession" then it should work twice as good in good times. See where I'm going with this ?

Those jobs won't come back unless the economy not only recovers but we start the bubbles and loose credit up all over again. I just don't see that happening in the next 3-5 years.

I agree. I don't hold animosity towards corporations because without them we have no jobs at all but it is wrong when take advantage. Unfortunately it is all part of running a business albeit sad.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 PM

20,318 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Oh, I forgot the rich are so vastly superior to everybody else!
No, they're richer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies