Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
i think we need to create a forum called, "i'm a racist". That way all things racist can go in that forum instead of in the great debate section.

Of course a white person being called cracker by a black person is a racial slur. But didn't you know that is doesn't matter, because only white people can be racist.

But you know, the picture i get of your explanation is that black people just roll down their windows as they drive past you and call you cracker. if you have been called cracker 50 times, you must have been doing something to make the name caller mad.
Absolutely, 50 times, I suspect your doing something wrong,Cracker must be something regional, I've never heard anyone use it except in jest.
Anyone who really aims to verbally wound you will call you more than a cracker.

Last edited by virgode; 08-12-2009 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 AM

481 posts, read 806,521 times
It's a crunchy round little bisquit.

Or, it's a British party favor. You pull the end and it "cracks loudly."

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrooklyn View Post
thanx for the info,but the term used was not referring to the 1800's in florida. i moved from ny to atlanta and my young daughter and i saw "confederate flags" waving in the air,cell phone covers, front plates on cars,etc.they claim its to show support for "southern war " . we only saw those flags on tv. there's a lot of blood shed under that flag.certain things you can not make into a positive.
Since this isn't a thread about the confederate flag, I won't even go there as there is another thread dealing with it and its meaning to different people. I will point out though that every flag has had a lot of blood shed under it, including our beloved Stars and Stripes. Back to your original question..... Its hard to say in what context you were called cracker from the info you gave. It is rather telling if it was for the 50th time. You may want to rethink how you are interacting with people in general if this is the reaction you keep receiving. Being called a Cracker in any context other than self proclaiming yourself as a "Florida Cracker" usually is construed to mean that you are being thought of as a low life piece of trash, a bigot or worse - and no - in this scenario its not even remotely complimentary.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
I was called a "cracker" today for about the fiftieth time since I moved to South Florida 20 years ago. Is that just another word for "honky"? Am I supposed to be upset and want to fight when I hear it directed at me.I guess I'm just not up on the whole street slang thing.
Um...are you serious? You don't know what a "cracker" is? Well, a "cracker" is a white person as is a "honky". Upset?? No, I wouldn't say you should be upset; they are just words. My best friend is black and we talk about all the nicknames we have for each others' race and it gets pretty funny sometimes. So...cool your jets, you will probably be called worse before your time on this earth is done.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM

466 posts, read 928,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Since this isn't a thread about the confederate flag, I won't even go there as there is another thread dealing with it and its meaning to different people. I will point out though that every flag has had a lot of blood shed under it, including our beloved Stars and Stripes. Back to your original question..... Its hard to say in what context you were called cracker from the info you gave. It is rather telling if it was for the 50th time. You may want to rethink how you are interacting with people in general if this is the reaction you keep receiving. Being called a Cracker in any context other than self proclaiming yourself as a "Florida Cracker" usually is construed to mean that you are being thought of as a low life piece of trash, a bigot or worse - and no - in this scenario its not even remotely complimentary.

well thanks for your "advice" on human interaction (albeit uninvited). In my job I make many good people happy and many bad people angry. My point is that if I can't use the "N" word then they can't use the "C" word. In every instance where I heard the word used it was for the sole purpose of trying to escalate the hostility.

Last edited by Just-Sayin; 08-12-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Yes, they were all black.

What's racial Bull****?

Yes, it is a big deal if it was meant as a derogatory term. If I use the "N" word in an argument that escalates I get to go to jail for a "hate crime".

So I get to choose the derogatory terms I don't want to be called.
It works both ways............... "Don't it?"

(Oh, and I used the word "Fiftieth". that means 50, not 5)
You know...

I'm wondering if you've been called "cracker" for the 50th time, if you're not provoking that kind of response - especially if they were all black people. I mean, frankly - if you had a reason to call a black person the "n" word and you used that term over 50 times in your life, was the black person deserving of being called an "n" word or did it just roll off your tongue like rain?

Honestly, if you were behaving like a "genius" wouldn't that roll off their tongue just as easily?

I agree with Virgode - there are far more insulting words to use than cracker, if they were really trying to insult you verbally. And the "n" word and cracker do not carry the same kind of historical weight as far as insults go - cracker is probably a 2 on the Richter scale while the "n" word is off the charts.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
"Yankee" was originally a fairly bad word in the King's country back in the American Revolution days. look it up....funny stuff.

I read somewhere that a teacher was fired for using the term "*****rdly".

Wondering what "redneck" really means......

"Gringo" can be bad; depends on the inflection and circumstance.

Who was the congresscritter that recently got angry because someone called her "ma'am"?

I went to school with a fella whose name was "Gay Black". Funniest kid in class, had the best sense of humor of anyone that I've ever known. Well, he HAD to be.... Saw him and his wife at our 20th reunion. My sides still hurt from laughing. Great folks.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Wow.

That term was edited. That's the "n" word with an "ardly" after the "gg".

It's an arcane term, but hardly racial. Just sounds that way.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
That congresscritter was Barbara Boxer.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 PM

466 posts, read 928,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You know...

I'm wondering if you've been called "cracker" for the 50th time, if you're not provoking that kind of response - especially if they were all black people. I mean, frankly - if you had a reason to call a black person the "n" word and you used that term over 50 times in your life, was the black person deserving of being called an "n" word or did it just roll off your tongue like rain?

Honestly, if you were behaving like a "genius" wouldn't that roll off their tongue just as easily?

I agree with Virgode - there are far more insulting words to use than cracker, if they were really trying to insult you verbally. And the "n" word and cracker do not carry the same kind of historical weight as far as insults go - cracker is probably a 2 on the Richter scale while the "n" word is off the charts.

You have NO idea what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies