Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I did not claim they were a good source, i just posted what they printed.
So, we can take it that you just randomly post printed things. Great.

Quote:
You know what i mean, of course their is no bill.... yet, but they are choosing to endorse Pelosi's senate plan, which, for intense will be the bill they will be voting on, and the one the president has been claiming is his plan.
Pelosi is in the House. She has nothing to do with the Senate. The House will vote on the House bill. The Senate will vote on the Senate bill. A conference committee will iron out the differences. Obama hasn't proposed or claimed any plan. He has put forward a set of points and standards that he would like to see reflected in the final product, but it is Congress that has been developing these plans from the get-go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
LOL! They don't know what their position is. They're still trying to figure out what that ridiculous 4-page outline meant anyway. Okay, three and a half pages...almost...
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2520ih.txt.pdf

Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know anyone who does not think we need some reforms to bring down the costs of health care, let's start with TORT reform. Of course that will never happen, the lawyers have the democrats in their back pocket.
More than half the states already have tort award limits. Tort awards have next to nothing to do with health care costs. Americans are among the least likely people to sue in the developed world. Tort claims and awards have not mushroomed. Malpractice insurance rates are not strongly correlated with tort award trends. They have been strongly correlated with financial market values of insurance company reserves and with the degree of competition existing in state insurance markets.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I think you will find the backlash is against the AARP from it's members.
They said that crap a few years ago over the AARP giving some award to Harry Belafonte and they even started another group for conservative old people called NASCON which was promoted heavily by right wing talk radio. How many members does AARP have and how many does NASCON have? I cannot even find NASCON on the web! Most of the old people are not dumb and they know who looks out for them!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I think you will find the backlash is against the AARP from it's members.
Right...there's nothing those over 55 would want more than to see their health care costs continue to spiral out of control.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
80% of people are satisfied with their current HC - that's a big chunk of seniors. Check out some of these THs - full of "seniors".

You don't need a government takeover of HC to stop costs from rising, in fact, if the government gets involved, you can almost guarantee they will rise.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Right...there's nothing those over 55 would want more than to see their health care costs continue to spiral out of control.
Most of their members are on Medicare and aren't affected nearly as much as the rest of the population by health care inflation.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Obama has the ok from AMA, also, but he doesn't have the ok of many of the members of AMA. They may lose as many members as the AARP will over this crap.

Roysoldboy, i've got a great idea i'd help start another form for seniors, that want government freebies, but don't want other to have government freebies? This group can be easily lead astray like most groups, but the question is will their vote matter? They're just alienating themselves further and further into a corner.

Roy i'm a much younger libertarian who does not want any of the current forms of social programs we currently have etc. However, i'm extremely pissed off at the elderly right now, because they don't shut their loud mouth traps long enough for me to hear what the hell the bill contains. I'll be bluntly honest i know a large portion of my friends who are in the age bracket of 20-40, that are more than willing to opt out of Social Security and Medicare, because of the hypocrisy of the Elderly.

If I've said it once I'll say it twice, they really need to shut their government sponsored traps and get back into their place. As long as most of them are excepting government handouts, in my opinion they lost their say to complain against others who want to receive government handouts. If they want everyone to be treated equally that is fine with me. Stop subsidizing these old bats and make them pay the full tab. The older people may have started the Revolution, but like any revolution they are viewed as part of the problem, so if they continue to bite off the hands that are feeding and clothing them, they are going to find out the consequences of taking personal responsibility for themselves in old age. What these elderly individuals will soon find out is it is extremely hard without other people helping them!

Down with SS
Down with Medicare
Down with Nationalized Health Care

Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why doesn't AARP just come out and support the concept?
It would seem that like the pharmaceutical industry, they have made their deal.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It would seem that like the pharmaceutical industry, they have made their deal.
I agree but they are acting cowardly in not admitting it, Do you suppose their members would revolt if they said formally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies