Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,197,647 times

Advertisements

For everyone who thinks the NAACP has outlived its usefulness, you have to admit that the EEOC is still doing turn-away business.

"(CN) - A group of black workers at a South Carolina steel plant won class certification in a lawsuit claiming that "monkey noises" were broadcast over the speakers to communicate with black workers. They also claimed they were unfairly denied promotions at Nucor Corp.

The 4th Circuit ruled that the workers "certainly presented compelling direct evidence of discrimination, such as denials of promotions when more junior white employees were granted promotions, denial of the ability to cross-train during regular shifts like their white counterparts, and a statement by a white supervisor that he would never promote a black employee."

That evidence alone, the Virginia-based appellate panel ruled, "establishes common claims of discrimination worthy of class certification."

Courthouse News Service

Posting more of the appellate court's ruling would involve terminology contrary to use rules of this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,482,341 times
Hey watch it!! You're supposed to pretend that racism doesn't exist. That's how you fix problems! Act like they aren't there and they'll vanish. By pointing this out, you may unfairly make some racists feel uneasy while forcing others to bring up those firefighters again.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 PM

All the firefighters had to complain about was a promotion -- It seems that there is a lot more going on here.

Did you see the firefighter at the Sotomayor hearing? He should have stayed home.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,672,865 times
it still happens. i dont know why people think its gone. this forum is a prime example.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,388,867 times
My first thought when I saw the OP (before I read the link) was how did they know the monkey noises were directed at them? if someone just started making noises over the intercom right now I wouldn't say "hey they're calling me a monkey!"

Then I read the link:

Quote:
Seven black workers sued in 2004 with complaints that they and others were referred to by white supervisors as "******," "bologna lips," "yard ape" and "porch monkey," and that "monkey noises" were broadcast over the radio system.
The plant was also decorated with Confederate flags, and items containing Nucor's logo alongside Confederate flags were sold in the plant's gift shop.
and my second thought is "why were they still working there." I don't know about anyone else but the first time someone called me a porch monkey and nothing was done about it I would have quit.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
For everyone who thinks the NAACP has outlived its usefulness, you have to admit that the EEOC is still doing turn-away business.
rueful

Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,519,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Hey watch it!! You're supposed to pretend that racism doesn't exist. That's how you fix problems! Act like they aren't there and they'll vanish. By pointing this out, you may unfairly make some racists feel uneasy while forcing others to bring up those firefighters again.

It obviously still exists. Its only some people either ignore it when it comes from "their" people or deny it.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
and my second thought is "why were they still working there." I don't know about anyone else but the first time someone called me a porch monkey and nothing was done about it I would have quit.
I worked basic steel and I can tell you there was a monumental discrimination settlement in the seventies involving the companies and various unions.

SSRN-Have Angels Done More? the Steel Industry Consent Decree by Bernard E. (Casey) Ichniowski

And now this.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
And in other news Jesse Jackson compared Michael Vick to Jackie Robinson.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,388,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And in other news Jesse Jackson compared Michael Vick to Jackie Robinson.
I was stumped there for a minute then I realized I was thinking of Smokey..not Jackie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies