Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
This is a question based on relativity.

It is relative to each individual's viewpoint.

The person affected will see things vastly different than a faceless government bureaucracy.

Even the people who instigate such a draconian health care system will change their minds when they get old.
What do you think a health insurance company is if not a vast faceless bureaucracy?

If your doctor thinks you have a chance to keep going s/he will recommend further treatment and that will probably be covered by your plan, private or public.

I believe both the Senate and House plans say that insurers would have to accept new patients with pre-existing conditions. You would go to one that would agree to keep treating you.

In any case, why not prepare early for such an eventuality? Personal responsibility, bootstraps, etc.

Save the money so you can pay out of pocket for care if it were to come to that, then get back on the plan of your choice when your health has improved above 5%/chance to live a year or whatever the cutoff determination is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
This is a question based on relativity.

It is relative to each individual's viewpoint.

The person affected will see things vastly different than a faceless government bureaucracy.

Even the people who instigate such a draconian health care system will change their minds when they get old; that is to say, if they are even under the same plan since they are now the elite.
Thats a wonderful assumption to make. I've seen differently out of a lot of people. If they know someone is sicker, they want you to take care of that person. All it takes is just knowing that there is someone worse off nearby. Such as seeing them in a waiting room in pain. Especially the ones who have accepted death and just want a decent quality of life until their time is up. They just want pain management. The ones who are vocal and afraid of death, are not the afflicted individuals, but the family members who have not accepted reality.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 AM

34 posts, read 44,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
All 3 lives are worth the same.

And it's time we had someone put the breaks on the spiraling costs associated with people trying to prolong the inevitable. The reason the healthcare costs in this country are so high is because we try to fix the unfixable.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Thats a wonderful assumption to make. I've seen differently out of a lot of people. If they know someone is sicker, they want you to take care of that person. All it takes is just knowing that there is someone worse off nearby. Such as seeing them in a waiting room in pain. Especially the ones who have accepted death and just want a decent quality of life until their time is up. They just want pain management. The ones who are vocal and afraid of death, are not the afflicted individuals, but the family members who have not accepted reality.
yea, I remember when my Granddad was dying in the hospital, it was so sad seeing him like that, he was always so independent and then to see him laying in the bed rather helpless was just awful. Despite his state, one of my uncles who was taking it really hard was standing over his bed about to cry and my Granddad lifted up his arm and began stroking his face, lying in bed dying and still taking care of his son, it was so sad but so sweet.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
How much is one more year of life for human beings worth?

Well if it is Dick Cheney...hmmmmm.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Check my tax returns. It will tell you how much I earned, and since I rarely have any money, how much I spent as well.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM

179 posts, read 516,708 times
This is one of the problems I have with socialized medical care. There is definitely going to be a cost vs time analysis done for people. I don't agree with this because there are many kids out there that I believe would not get the treatment they need if the choices were made strictly on a cost vs time basis. I have a friend who recently had a T-18 baby. Only a tiny percentage of these babies even make it to delivery and very few make it to their first birthday. I as a parent would prefer to make those decisions and not a group of people that do not know anything about the situation or family. They would just become a statistic because their child will never have a completely "normal/productive" life. However, this child has touched so many people's lives that the government could never have taken into an equation.

I agree that Yes there is technically a rationing of care with insurance companies. However, at this time you can solicit donations or by some other means to help pay for medical procedures that the insurance company will not. Generally under socialized medicine you would not have that option. And yes as the way the government currently talks about the plan it would not necessarily be that way to start with but give it a few years and it will work its way there. They never stop trying to "fix" something.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It's a question that cannot be answered...for every person themselves, their family and close friends one year is worth everything in the world. For acquaintances it depends on what some one feels about them, and how they value them. For those they don't know they value it based on what they have accomplished.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM

191 posts, read 809,811 times
Don't waste any money on me if it will only buy me one more lousy year of pain, senility, and being a total burden on everyone, and not accomplishing anything but taking up a bed. Just let me croak, and use the money on something useful, like fixing a bridge or something.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Ever notice how the GOP argument is always based on a hypothetical fear based scenario in the future?

In other words, it's not based on reality.
Your reality didn't exist in the UK for the first 50 years of socialized medicine but it sure does now.

You are looking at the tip of your nose just as the Dems are with this suggested "bill" but I am willing to look down the road a bit further even though I won't be around at that time. Are you one of those who may be affected 30 years from now? You need to look beyond the day of passage of some of this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies