Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,687,233 times

Advertisements

Yesterday during his lovefest in Portsmouth he addressed a concern of many of us. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Many people question how private insurance can compete with government run healthcare. Well look at FedEx and UPS, they're doing great, and it's the post office that's doing really bad. No seriously, the post office is running up huge deficits and the private companies, fedEx and UPS are competing really well."

He actually said this and I'm utterly confused. How is pointing out that a government run entity is hemorrhaging money and operating very inefficiently suppose to reassure us that government healthcare will work? It appears that his very argument should be used by those of us opposed to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,355,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Yesterday during his lovefest in Portsmouth he addressed a concern of many of us. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Many people question how private insurance can compete with government run healthcare. Well look at FedEx and UPS, they're doing great, and it's the post office that's doing really bad. No seriously, the post office is running up huge deficits and the private companies, fedEx and UPS are competing really well."

He actually said this and I'm utterly confused. How is pointing out that a government run entity is hemorrhaging money and operating very inefficiently suppose to reassure us that government healthcare will work? It appears that his very argument should be used by those of us opposed to this.
You are absolutely correct. The Affirmative Action President made an excellent arguement why there should NOT be a government run health care plan.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,124,753 times
His example was pretty funny, I suspect Obama wishes he could take that statement back.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:46 PM

If the GOP was on it's game; which sadly, it isn't, they'd be running this clip verbatim on why this is a terrible idea. Obama is so in over his head.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,409,749 times
Quote:

No, he didn't actually say that. Why would you paraphrase something so badly that it barely resembles what he actually said?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama

I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...hampshire.html
Now, if you want to discuss what he actually said, I'm willing to concede that he should've stopped talking after pointing out that UPS and FedEx are competing just fine. Sure, someone would've pointed out that the Postal Service has had its share of problems, but that's not necessarily indicative of how a health insurance exchange would be administered.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,819,884 times
I bet he wishes he'd phrased it diufferently..lol.
The Post Office has been losing money for a few years now. Nothing to do with Govt control of it but a huge decrease in people using the mail in favour of emails, electronic billing, direct debits etc etc. Technology has killed the post office, not the fact that it is being run by the Govt.
I think Obama rather clumsily made an attempt to prove that Govt systems do not finish off private competition as some people say a UHC would do to private health insurance.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,282,922 times

YouTube - Obama Compares Govt. Health Care Competition To FedEX & UPS

Here you can listen to him yourself.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
No, he didn't actually say that. Wherever you got that quote, it's been grossly rewritten so it barely resembles what he actually said. Now, if you want to discuss what he actually said, I'm willing to concede that he should've stopped talking after pointing out that UPS and FedEx are competing just fine. Sure, someone would've pointed out that the Postal Service has had its share of problems, but that's not necessarily indicative of how a health insurance exchange would be administered.
You quoted me, but didn't even read it apparently. I specifically said, "and I'm paraphrasing." Besides what's the big difference between what he said, and what I thought he said? Either way, he went out of his way to point out that a government run entity was extremely inefficient and poorly run and that private competitors were kicking the government run ones butt. How on earth is this in any way, shape or form, an endorsement for government run healthcare? As I've already said, it sounds like something that the 57% of Americans opposed to Obamacare would use against him.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,148,497 times
Quote:

But the USPS has always been run as a non-profit and that is tough to do with fuel prices yo-yoing all the time. Also, they have to keep up with their retirement program for all their employees, and so on and so on. However, to operate these days as a non-profit they need to find out how to get more government money like ACORN, Public Allies and some of the other non-profits that get their money from AmeriCorps. I know this sounds like I am kidding but I mean it.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 PM

23,155 posts, read 26,065,842 times
Bad thing to compare with since, in many cases, for like service USPS is more expensive than UPS.

He's quite right that competition will be alive and well ........if Obamacare is going to cost the same or more than private
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies