Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:52 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I do not believe that science and faith are mutually exclusive issues at all. Keep in mind that many of the stories in the Bible are allegories that are used for instructional purposes and are not literal. Having taken graduate level physics and mathematics in college, one comes to understand that world around us and our universe is much more complicated than one can imagine. Different dimensions exist around us now which we cannot percieve. Further the issues of time/space by expansion of the universe suggests a point of origin for all of what we observe. In our own world, the complexity and orderly structure of DNA is such that its occurance via by chance would be statistically impossible.

Many of the true scientists I have known (including James Van Allen and Lou Frank) believed in God and felt that faith and science were not incompatible. Dismissing faith as simple nonsense fails to appreciate many of the occurances in our universe that cannot be accurately described and concieved via physics and mathematics.

I am an evidence based physician who has published many papers in the scientific literature and rely upon facts and science to guide my practice. However, I also pray for guidance and favorable outcomes for patients. Faith builds confidence and reduces fear among providers as well as patients and I really think it is beneficial in our world. But, to each his own. I never try to ram any faith issues down anyone's throat and never bring it up to a patient unless it is initiated by them. It is a source of strength for many, but many people are uncomfortable with those issues and they should not be discussed unless initiated by the patient themselves. I have been asked to pray for someone prior to surgery and very much appreciate the prayers and support of people in dealing with medical problems of my own. But, again, to each his own and people must find thier own way in life and come to thier own conclusions.
Finally a voice of reason gets involved. Of course, there are all kinds of non-believers involved here and they won't accept what you say.

I wasn't allowed to rep you so have to do it this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Zoos are for animals to be looked at. This woman fits the description.
I looked at the linked article and I can assure you that that woman doesn't look bad enough to be put in a cage. I wish more people would take advantage of links before they just fire.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Barney Frank is a decent, intelligent man with years of service to his country. You're silly words of denuciation are about as intelligent as those of the Townhall Taliban - and probably just as ineffective.

On another note - everyone knows the dinosaurs were killed off by DEATH PANELS!
Were there socialized medicine Democrats back then to use Death Panels to get rid of the dinosaurs? Have you ever given any thought to the probable size of dinosaur droppings? Just thought I would throw in some levity to lighten your load.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
How tall are you? Because the point went way the hell over your head.
I have to agree with you completely about the height of Ida's head. I couldn't rep you so this will have to do.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Is there anything that doesn't insult the Christians anymore?

"TULSA, OK -- A mayoral candidate has resurrected a controversy over Creationism at the Tulsa Zoo.

A push to exhibit the Christian story of creation at the Tulsa Zoo failed four years ago. Republican candidate for Tulsa mayor, Anna Falling, is bringing the issue front and center."

Mayoral Candidate Mary Falling Wants Creationism Exhibit - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
Hey, It's Oklahoma!

South Carolinians who wear cowboy hats!

They will also tell you the History of the US, based on the words of O'Liely and a couple of John Wayne flicks.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Hey, It's Oklahoma!

South Carolinians who wear cowboy hats!

They will also tell you the History of the US, based on the words of O'Liely and a couple of John Wayne flicks.
I live very close to the Oklahoma line and have known a few of them and never met one from South Carolina. Hmmmmmm. You wouldn't have been making fun of one or the other group of people, would you?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I live very close to the Oklahoma line and have known a few of them and never met one from South Carolina. Hmmmmmm. You wouldn't have been making fun of one or the other group of people, would you?
Same basic roots and low standards:

"South Carolina is the Oklahoma of the Southeast. It just doesn't get any lower."-

Pat Conroy, a native of the Palmetto State (as am I) in "The Prince Of Tides."

Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Naw, you didn't have any good feelings about organized religion before and just want to use this kind of thing as an excuse for being that way.

As I said before I do not agree with this woman, and I believe the world is very old, but I would stand by her right to speak what she believes just as I would do for you.
I really think it is not your place to read the heart of another human being. This is what I feel you are doing. For the record, I feel the same as this poster. I have attended a Christian church my whole life and I am 46 years old. It is QUITE true that many moderate Christians today are turned off and disgusted by the extreme conservative branch of Christianity and their use of religion to sway politics. Many of us believe that Christianity has been hijacked for political purposes and agenda. In my view, this Tulsa OK woman is doing the same AND she is getting support for it at the local level. Our country has been doing this on the federal level for the last 8 years; there is no mistake about that. Granted, they haven't been able to accomplish everything on their agenda (Christian conservative base), but they sure gave it a good try and in the process have alienated many moderate Christians.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:51 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
That woman needs to be visited by the proper lawsuit.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
That woman needs to be visited by the proper lawsuit.
And Barney Frank needs to be visited by Lance Bass.

Thus wags the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies