Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM

37,759 posts, read 40,857,426 times

Advertisements

This could go in any of the three forums so I'm sticking it here in the general political forum.

"Approximately 15–22 percent of the 46 million residents of the United States without health coverage are illegal aliens. That’s about 9 or 10 million people."

Importing the Uninsured by James R. Edwards Jr. on National Review Online

Do you think the reason that Obama and the Democrats in Congress don't seem too concerned about alienating seniors/calling concerned seniors names in the healthcare debate, is because they intend to legalize illegal immigrants in 2010 to impact voting results (and won't need to carry the senior vote) to keep Democrats in power?

The Democrats said they won't cover undocumented aliens in healthcare reform but if immigration reform is the next big thing Obama tackles, and he and Congress make them legal, then technically they won't be adding illegal aliens/undocumented workers to the healthcare rolls...or the voting rolls.

It just seems like political suicide what they are doing now when they refer to seniors as "the mob," "astroturf," "Brooks Brother people," "nazis," "teabaggers" or whatever other lousy name they are calling their older constituents that are coming out in force against healthcare. I can't believe the Democrats would be that stupid...and I don't think they are. I think it means they think those seniors can be replaced by another big voting group and big future voting group (their young children) that will vote Democrat, so they're not as concerned.

I don't want to make this an illegal alien pro/con thread. I'm more interested whether you think healthcare reform is tied to illegal immigration reform as part of the Democrat strategy for future elections, that is, pass healthcare reform in 2009, make illegal aliens legal in 2010 so they can get healthcare (while they ration treatment for older Americans) and then watch them all vote Democrat to keep Democrats in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,697,321 times
No. Democratic legislators realize that they never had the votes of the people screaming their heads off about the proposed health care reform legislation, anyway. On the other hand, the majority of constituents who did vote the legislators into office want a public option, so the legislators are not nervous about supporting a public option. It's not really all that difficult a concept to understand...

Last edited by Politico; 08-13-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 11:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,878,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
No. I think it's because the Democratic legislators realize that the people screaming their heads off about the proposed health care reform legislation are people who would not vote for them, anyway. On the other hand, the majority of constituents who voted the legislators into office want a public option and are not offended, so the legislators are not nervous about supporting a public option. It's not really all that difficult a concept to understand...
It is for Some.
Casper

Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,697,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It is for Some.
Casper
lol...
Evidently so.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,520,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This could go in any of the three forums so I'm sticking it here in the general political forum.

"Approximately 15–22 percent of the 46 million residents of the United States without health coverage are illegal aliens. That’s about 9 or 10 million people."

Do you think the reason that Obama and the Democrats in Congress don't seem too concerned about alienating seniors/calling concerned seniors names in the healthcare debate, is because they intend to legalize illegal immigrants in 2010 to impact voting results (and won't need to carry the senior vote) to keep Democrats in power?

The Democrats said they won't cover undocumented aliens in healthcare reform but if immigration reform is the next big thing Obama tackles, and he and Congress make them legal, then technically they won't be adding illegal aliens/undocumented workers to the healthcare rolls...or the voting rolls.

It just seems like political suicide what they are doing now when they refer to seniors as "the mob," "astroturf," "Brooks Brother people," "nazis," "teabaggers" or whatever other lousy name they are calling their older constituents that are coming out in force against healthcare. I can't believe the Democrats would be that stupid...and I don't think they are. I think it means they think those seniors can be replaced by another big voting group and big future voting group (their young children) that will vote Democrat, so they're not as concerned.

I don't want to make this an illegal alien pro/con thread. I'm more interested whether you think healthcare reform is tied to illegal immigration reform as part of the Democrat strategy for future elections, that is, pass healthcare reform in 2009, make illegal aliens legal in 2010 so they can get healthcare (while they ration treatment for older Americans) and then watch them all vote Democrat to keep Democrats in power.

No, the majority of us want Health Care reform, which is what folks don't want to admit. Your also assuming that ALL Seniors are against the proposed bill, which I haven't seen anything to suggest that.
Also, some of the "juevenile" name calling you've listed above like mob as well as goons have been shouted on both sides of the fence. And yes, both the democrats as well as the Republicans in Washington are just that STUPID to believe that they could offend ANYONE and get away with it because guess what THEY HAVE.

Now on the subject of illegal immigration. If the Republicans wanted to curb the immigrant population, it would have occured before 2006 but it hasn't, and there are also Democrats in Congress who would more than likely vote on the side of the republicans.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM

37,759 posts, read 40,857,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It is for Some.
Casper
So what you're saying is that I can say "I told you so" in 2010.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times
Quote:

You have to be a CITIZEN to vote- not just LEGAL. Under all the amnesty proposals- even Bush's- the LEAST amount of time to citizenship would be 7 years for illegals- and that is just for the ones who serve in the US Armed Forces once they are given "guest worker" status. The others will have to wait 10 years to become citizens of the USA (5 years guest worker, 5 years Permanent Resident)

Old 08-13-2009, 06:01 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,597,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You have to be a CITIZEN to vote- not just LEGAL. Under all the amnesty proposals- even Bush's- the LEAST amount of time to citizenship would be 7 years for illegals- and that is just for the ones who serve in the US Armed Forces once they are given "guest worker" status. The others will have to wait 10 years to become citizens of the USA (5 years guest worker, 5 years Permanent Resident)
Never underestimate a congress that is filibuster proof. They can pass any amendment they want, plus no fear of a veto.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,713,526 times
Quote:

Then we will have a war in this country,,,,,

Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,158,302 times
Quote:

Pull out a 12" sheet of tin foil. Place it upon your head and push down, molding it to your skull. This will keep the voices away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies