U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica
4,708 posts, read 8,080,031 times
Reputation: 1051

Advertisements

This seems pretty obvious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2009, 01:48 PM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,810,961 times
Reputation: 2812
It demonstrates legislation, and legislation that's commonly abused.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM
 
3,151 posts, read 3,366,514 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This seems pretty obvious.
It seperates us from the animals..and by the way..hospitals only get paid pennies on the dollar for indigent cases..this is why healthcare costs are so high..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica
4,708 posts, read 8,080,031 times
Reputation: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
It seperates us from the animals..and by the way..hospitals only get paid pennies on the dollar for indigent cases..this is why healthcare costs are so high..
"this is why healthcare costs are so high"

Not obviously the case at all! You'll have to help me with the reasoning behind that assertion!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,810,961 times
Reputation: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
"this is why healthcare costs are so high"

Not obviously the case at all! You'll have to help me with the reasoning behind that assertion!
The hospitals are not paid enough for those services. In order to make up the costs, they pass it along to those that are able to pay, thus increasing the prices for their healthcare. It's kind of like having uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
 
3,151 posts, read 3,366,514 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
"this is why healthcare costs are so high"

Not obviously the case at all! You'll have to help me with the reasoning behind that assertion!
Not worth my time or effort..figure it out..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: 38°14′45″N 122°37′53″W
4,152 posts, read 10,466,716 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
It seperates us from the animals..and by the way..hospitals only get paid pennies on the dollar for indigent cases..this is why healthcare costs are so high..
LMAO!!!!!
now that folks is sheer humor.

and has no bearing on the OP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica
4,708 posts, read 8,080,031 times
Reputation: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The hospitals are not paid enough for those services. In order to make up the costs, they pass it along to those that are able to pay, thus increasing the prices for their healthcare. It's kind of like having uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance.

If what you say is true, it must mean that a small percentage of all healthcare activity is taking place in hospital emergency rooms that provide services to the indigent. I say that because, since (I'm assuming what you say is true) hospitals are reimbursed at such a low rate for services provided there to the indigent, and assuming that there is some competition in selling supplies that are used in hospital emergency rooms to treat the indigent, that one would expect the prices paid to suppliers would COME DOWN as those suppliers found ways to offer lower-priced goods to the hospitals. Perhaps this pricing tendency has, in fact, worked but in spite of it, the total costs to hospitals have in fact continued to rise.

So what I'm saying is that any cost savings to the hospital that might be occurring by the marketplace offering cheaper supplies for use in emergency rooms, is in fact being SWAMPED by increasing costs to hospitals of OTHER things/services that the hospitals are buying.

So your argument does not make sense.

My point of view is, until something to the contrary can be demonstrated to me, that there is insufficient COMPETITION in the marketplace of providing goods and services to the healthcare provider industry. This is what gives suppliers pricing power and therefore causes prices to march ever higher.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
 
3,151 posts, read 3,366,514 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
If what you say is true, it must mean that a small percentage of all healthcare activity is taking place in hospital emergency rooms that provide services to the indigent. I say that because, since (I'm assuming what you say is true) hospitals are reimbursed at such a low rate for services provided there to the indigent, and assuming that there is some competition in selling supplies that are used in hospital emergency rooms to treat the indigent, that one would expect the prices paid to suppliers would COME DOWN as those suppliers found ways to offer lower-priced goods to the hospitals. Perhaps this pricing tendency has, in fact, worked but in spite of it, costs to hospitals have in fact continued to rise.

So what I'm saying is that any cost savings to the hospital that might be occurring by the marketplace offering cheapers supplies for use in emergency rooms, is in fact being SWAMPED by increasing costs to hospitals of OTHER things/services that the hospitals are buying.

So your argument does not make sense.

My point of view, until something to the contrary can be demonstrated to me, is that there is insufficient COMPETITION in the marketplace of providing goods and services to the healthcare provider industry.
The birds are flying..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,810,961 times
Reputation: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
If what you say is true, it must mean that a small percentage of all healthcare activity is taking place in hospital emergency rooms that provide services to the indigent. I say that because, since (I'm assuming what you say is true) hospitals are reimbursed at such a low rate for services provided there to the indigent, and assuming that there is some competition in selling supplies that are used in hospital emergency rooms to treat the indigent, that one would expect the prices paid to suppliers would COME DOWN as those suppliers found ways to offer lower-priced goods to the hospitals. Perhaps this pricing tendency has, in fact, worked but in spite of it, the total costs to hospitals have in fact continued to rise.

So what I'm saying is that any cost savings to the hospital that might be occurring by the marketplace offering cheaper supplies for use in emergency rooms, is in fact being SWAMPED by increasing costs to hospitals of OTHER things/services that the hospitals are buying.

So your argument does not make sense.

My point of view is, until something to the contrary can be demonstrated to me, that there is insufficient COMPETITION in the marketplace of providing goods and services to the healthcare provider industry. This is what gives suppliers pricing power and therefore causes prices to march ever higher.
It makes perfect sense. There are many hospital supply companies. There reaches a certain point where suppliers will not drop prices because it is no longer worth it for them to be in business; they don't want to eat the losses for a hospital. This is similar to the fact that there are a lot of people making less money in this economy, but that doesn't mean that the amount you're charged for a gallon of milk goes down. The hospitals cover their costs by charging more to other customers. This is not limited to hospitals. Stores have to charge enough of a profit margin to cover things like theft (non-paying customers).

There are other factors that are causing the increase in healthcare costs, but this is one of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top