Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times

Advertisements

Certainly, the U.S. has quite a few highly-regarded medical facilities, but to admit that you cannot name any outside the U.S. merely proves your ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
If Obama were to admit that his plan would abolish private insurance, the plan's approval ratings would drop below 30%. His own (rapidly dropping) approval rating would go even lower. You are correct that his claim about keeping your plan is utter BS. If your family were forced into an authoritarian Government run plan, you wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

UHC is a failure everywhere it has been tried. It leads to lower quality care, longer waits, less incentives to go into Medicine and related fields, and less R&D. The majority of innovations in Healthcare occur here in the US. I can't even name one famous Medical Center outside America. Look at what we have here: Mayo, CCF, Hopkins, MGH, Brigham, MD Anderson... the list goes on. Why do wealthy international people come here for treatment?

If Government can pay for Healthcare and save companies Billions, why not have the Government pay employees' salaries as well? Why not pay companies' rent and property taxes as well?

The Government has no major revenue source besides taxes, borrowing (worse than taxing) and printing (worst of all). 'Free' Healthcare is anything but.
UHC is not a failure ... in Germany, France, Canada and even in that boogeyman of all UHC countries, Englllllllllannnnnnnnnnd. The reason they are not failures is because they've been up and running for decades, and in Germany's case, over a century.

There are many Americans leaving this country for major medical treatment.

People in UHC countries KNOW FULL WELL that their healthcare is NOT free. They'll be the first to tell you that. The difference is that when they get sick, they don't have to worry about whether or not to see a doctor. Here, there are people who have to think twice about seeing a physician and that's not right. There are people dying in this country because some bureauwonk and a healthcare company dictates to their physician how they are to be treated, if treated at all.

I'm saddened that the Obama administration has completely F-ed up this entire thing.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 27,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
UHC is a failure everywhere it has been tried. It leads to lower quality care, longer waits, less incentives to go into Medicine and related fields, and less R&D. The majority of innovations in Healthcare occur here in the US. I can't even name one famous Medical Center outside America. Look at what we have here: Mayo, CCF, Hopkins, MGH, Brigham, MD Anderson... the list goes on. Why do wealthy international people come here for treatment?
Longer wait? At least in Taiwan I know often I don't even have to make an appointment. Consider I pay $300 -$400 a month here and I have to make an appointment weeks ahead. And the quality of care? I don't see the difference. I used to travel outside the US often and I like to compare the healthcare systems. I would say the healthcare system in US is really a shame and stupid (tied to employment).

Not everyone wants luxury healthcare. Most of the people want affordable, reasonably good and reliable healthcare (consider the risk the private insurance company may find an excuse to kick you out if you get really sick). You can't name one famous medical center outside of the US because your lack of knowledge. And what you don't know is, quite many american go oversea for healthcare or move to other countries for retirement because the cost here is getting rediculus. E.g. just a few weeks ago, an article (businessweek in my impression) talks about retire in Panama, healthcare is certainly one thing mentioned in the article.

I used to vote for Republican but the recent news about town hall meeting, death panel stuffs, I would say they have lost my vote.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
UHC is not a failure ... in Germany, France, Canada and even in that boogeyman of all UHC countries, Englllllllllannnnnnnnnnd. The reason they are not failures is because they've been up and running for decades, and in Germany's case, over a century.

There are many Americans leaving this country for major medical treatment.

People in UHC countries KNOW FULL WELL that their healthcare is NOT free. They'll be the first to tell you that. The difference is that when they get sick, they don't have to worry about whether or not to see a doctor. Here, there are people who have to think twice about seeing a physician and that's not right. There are people dying in this country because some bureauwonk and a healthcare company dictates to their physician how they are to be treated, if treated at all.

I'm saddened that the Obama administration has completely F-ed up this entire thing.
The Obama admin has F-ed up everything it has done, but that is a separate issue.

We lead in medical innovations. We have lower mortality rates for Cancer than the UHC countries. The UK is a complete failure, not just in terms of Healthcare. Its debt is much higher than ours and their taxes and spending are out of control. Its credit line is basically shut down. We have lower wait times for seeing Physicians than these countries you speak of. There are some areas of Canada that hold LOTTERIES to see Doctors! If you get sick, would you rather get sick in America or Germany/Canada/UK? Everyone I have heard from UHC countries who now lives here likes our system much more than that of their home system.

There are some Americans who go to other countries, but there are more people coming here for serious care than there are leaving this country. If you have the money to pay cash in another country, you can probably afford insurance here. We have Middle Eastern royalty going to places like Cleveland Clinic all the time.

Next time you or a relative needs medical attention, make sure you do not receive it in this evil, imperialistic nation.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njworkhorse View Post
I used to vote for Republican but the recent news about town hall meeting, death panel stuffs, I would say they have lost my vote.

If you're frustrated with the GOP, I can understand that. I passed on McCain myself. That said, make sure you know what the leadership of the 2009 (D) party stands for before supporting it. If you live in NJ (just guessing based on your user name), you should be familiar with what the end result is when the (D)s have unchecked power.

Corzine says it all. What a disaster!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
you assume that all those w/o medical are leeches on our society.
15% of americans are uninsured, not even counting illegals.
21 million illegals, 6% of the true population is illegal. therefore ----
21% of the people living here are uninsured.
no medical coverage.
somewhere somehow here in america john wayne became marie antoinette.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
funny you should mention that. I haven't been on a plane since 1976 and I never will again.

I look at it this way. I'm cutting down on my chances.

Never fly in an airplane = never get killed in an airplane
Never climb a mountain = never die while climbing a mountain
Never scuba dive = never die while scuba diving.

Never go to a doctor = never risk the possablity that the doctor is a boob and will kill you.

It's just common sense if you ask me.
20yrsinBranson
I have long said there is really no such thing as "common sense". This post just proves it.

The riskiest thing you can do is get into a car, something I'd bet you do at least twice a day (once to go somewhere and once to go back home). If you want to reduce your risk of dying by anything but natural causes, quit riding in cars!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
bottom line:

Medicare for all who choose it with the option to opt out of the program and pay your own way ... there, boom.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
bottom line:

Medicare for all who choose it with the option to opt out of the program and pay your own way ... there, boom.
Exactly. Why does it need to be so difficult?

Reps pending.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Universal Health Care works for the European countries, but UHC in the United States may not work as well as jut because the sheer size of the country. What they need to do is make some sort of pilot program similar to UHC. They should use a couple of states as tests and see how much it costs to see if it is a good option instead of trying to change all the states at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies