Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 PM
LML
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,100 posts, read 9,063,621 times
Reputation: 5191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Well, let me tell you the wonders of the current GOVERNMENT Medicare system. A 73 year old woman is FULLY COVERED. But she can't find a decent doctor who will accept the government mandated peanuts paid. And when she gets to the "bargain basement" doctor, he spends his time staring at his laptop screen, and then gives her a prescription - to shut her up. No examination - no checking her painful joints - just stares at his screen.
I guess she's one of those whose end-of-life is not worthy of due diligence and her complaints that the prescriptions make her ill fall on deaf ears.
She's so despondent from her glorious full coverage, that she's ready to die, because she can't endure the pain anymore.
Oh, and let's not forget the dental care she can get FREE!
Oh, right, no dentist will take her, either.
OUCH.
But wait, the NEW reformed health care system will hire thousands and thousands of new bureaucrats and churn out reams of rules and regulations that will MAKE those greedy physicians work for less and less - or else!
And let's not have tort reform - gawd forbid that the legal profession has its rice bowl broken.
Oh, let's earmark some money for minority counseling and special interest groups. Acorn needs more funding...

Don't worry...
Any one who objects to the trillions in debt and loss of liberty will be declared INSANE, VIOLENT, EXTREMIST.

Because EVERYONE knows that to complain about the socialist paradise means you are not in your right mind.

Winston Smith
(We love you, Big Brother)


Don't know where this old lady lives but she should move to Wisconsin. I'm an old lady and I have NO problem finding excellent doctors more than will to treat me. My mom lived to 96 and my dad to 93 and they both received excellent care. Guess doctors in Wisconsin don't mind Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Illinois Delta
5,767 posts, read 4,984,516 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Don't know where this old lady lives but she should move to Wisconsin. I'm an old lady and I have NO problem finding excellent doctors more than will to treat me. My mom lived to 96 and my dad to 93 and they both received excellent care. Guess doctors in Wisconsin don't mind Medicare.
************************************************** *********
The doctors here are dependent upon Medicare. They'd starve without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,220 times
Reputation: 11
It's not Wills & end-of-life issues that we fear--it's the govt intrusion into our private lives. These are issues best reserved for the family, your minister, attorney, accountant, your doctor--but not some govt program. And I'm a registered Democrat, so stop w/the Republican blame game. We know this issue was from the Repubs. Remember Terry Schiavo and the Repb govt intrustion & how the public rejected it. Now that intrustion is back in a different guise. Dem or Repb, just get out of my life, especially my health & private issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 11:46 PM
 
2,016 posts, read 5,182,702 times
Reputation: 1878
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Well, let me tell you the wonders of the current GOVERNMENT Medicare system. A 73 year old woman is FULLY COVERED. But she can't find a decent doctor who will accept the government mandated peanuts paid. And when she gets to the "bargain basement" doctor, he spends his time staring at his laptop screen, and then gives her a prescription - to shut her up. No examination - no checking her painful joints - just stares at his screen.
I guess she's one of those whose end-of-life is not worthy of due diligence and her complaints that the prescriptions make her ill fall on deaf ears.
She's so despondent from her glorious full coverage, that she's ready to die, because she can't endure the pain anymore.
Oh, and let's not forget the dental care she can get FREE!
Oh, right, no dentist will take her, either.
OUCH.
But wait, the NEW reformed health care system will hire thousands and thousands of new bureaucrats and churn out reams of rules and regulations that will MAKE those greedy physicians work for less and less - or else!
And let's not have tort reform - gawd forbid that the legal profession has its rice bowl broken.
Oh, let's earmark some money for minority counseling and special interest groups. Acorn needs more funding...

Don't worry...
Any one who objects to the trillions in debt and loss of liberty will be declared INSANE, VIOLENT, EXTREMIST.

Because EVERYONE knows that to complain about the socialist paradise means you are not in your right mind.

Winston Smith
(We love you, Big Brother)


PURE LIES. My MIL (who passed away in her VERY HIGH 80's recently - may she rest in peace) - had access to WHATEVER medical procedure she needed all the way up to the end - ALL covered by Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 PM
 
35,016 posts, read 38,947,779 times
Reputation: 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyhere View Post
It's not Wills & end-of-life issues that we fear--it's the govt intrusion into our private lives. These are issues best reserved for the family, your minister, attorney, accountant, your doctor--but not some govt program. And I'm a registered Democrat, so stop w/the Republican blame game. We know this issue was from the Repubs. Remember Terry Schiavo and the Repb govt intrustion & how the public rejected it. Now that intrustion is back in a different guise. Dem or Repb, just get out of my life, especially my health & private issues.
Your doctor was going to have on his schedule to, every five years, give you a brochure and talk to you about end of life issues, and ask if you have questions, and you all talk if you feel like it, and, likely, you sign off on a paper that says "My health care provider has discussed with me these issues".

It wasnt important to have in or out -- certainly not worth all the hysteria. About ten days ago Obama said in an interview about it, something like, "If the language bothers folks that much I have a feeling the Senators will reconsider it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM
 
2,661 posts, read 2,888,093 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyhere View Post
It's not Wills & end-of-life issues that we fear--it's the govt intrusion into our private lives. These are issues best reserved for the family, your minister, attorney, accountant, your doctor--but not some govt program. And I'm a registered Democrat, so stop w/the Republican blame game. We know this issue was from the Repubs. Remember Terry Schiavo and the Repb govt intrustion & how the public rejected it. Now that intrustion is back in a different guise. Dem or Repb, just get out of my life, especially my health & private issues.
The provision that was removed was about reimbursing doctors for optional counseling sessions regarding living wills/advance directives.

There are some who say we could save a lot of money ($30+ billion) with similar programs. And not by killing granny early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM
 
Location: North Side of Indy, IN
1,966 posts, read 2,689,462 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyhere View Post
It's not Wills & end-of-life issues that we fear--it's the govt intrusion into our private lives. These are issues best reserved for the family, your minister, attorney, accountant, your doctor--but not some govt program. And I'm a registered Democrat, so stop w/the Republican blame game. We know this issue was from the Repubs. Remember Terry Schiavo and the Repb govt intrustion & how the public rejected it. Now that intrustion is back in a different guise. Dem or Repb, just get out of my life, especially my health & private issues.
Unfortunately for everyone, you and others like you didn't understand the proposed legslation, which had absolutely nothing to do with "government intrusion" into your family's private medical matters. The removed legislation simply would've reimbursed you and your family for the cost of the doctor's appointment once every five years if you were to choose to have and end-of-life counseling session with your doctor. Not a single thing in the removed legislation had anything to do with the goverment doing anything except reimbursing you with $100 or so for the doctor's fees. Now you and everyone else will have to pay out of pocket, instead of getting that money back. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,882 posts, read 33,054,797 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
PURE LIES. My MIL (who passed away in her VERY HIGH 80's recently - may she rest in peace) - had access to WHATEVER medical procedure she needed all the way up to the end - ALL covered by Medicare.
Did Medicare pay for her dental problems unlike what Jetgraphics alluded to? I have had great care under Medicare but not one penny for my teeth.

I might get in that part about how much is paid by Medicare and point out that from having been on it for 11 years I know that they don't pay much for many probably life saving items, at least in my case. When I have had my annual endoscopyi to try to keep on top of my coming esophageal cancer they have paid about 1/2 of what the physician and hospital asked for. Now they paid the entire request for my 6 bypass surgery and that was lifesaving but over 20 times as much, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,882 posts, read 33,054,797 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Your doctor was going to have on his schedule to, every five years, give you a brochure and talk to you about end of life issues, and ask if you have questions, and you all talk if you feel like it, and, likely, you sign off on a paper that says "My health care provider has discussed with me these issues".

It wasnt important to have in or out -- certainly not worth all the hysteria. About ten days ago Obama said in an interview about it, something like, "If the language bothers folks that much I have a feeling the Senators will reconsider it."
Those words from Obama told me that they will take those words out of the bill and then interpret what is left after it is passed. He is no dumby when it comes to ideas like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,882 posts, read 33,054,797 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Wapasha, these are bioethicists. They look at the implications of medical resource scarcity. For instance: how do you determine whether to save an infant with a brain tumor or a 13-year-old with a brain tumor.*

This is not Dr. Mengele out for your granny. Sorry. Even Trig's mom knows this (she not only knows it, she knew it the whole time she was playing you).

-------------------------------------------------------------

* a classic ethics question (thanks to This American Life):
Imagine you are standing at the top of a cliff. Down below are some train tracks. And in the distance are 5 guys working on the tracks.

Suddenly, you notice a train coming in the distance. It's heading directly for the 5 workers who have their backs to the train. You just know that if something doesn't happen, they will be hit by the train and killed. And you're so far away, they can't hear you yelling to warn them.

Just then, you notice a fork in the train tracks and, on the other track, a single worker with his back to the train. The lever to switch the train to the other track is right next to you.

Question: Do you throw the switch--changing the direction of the train? It will kill the single worker instead of the 5.
I have seen sillier what if scenarios but this one is close to the taker of the cake. It just plain goes back to the training of soldiers concerning the hand grenade that bounces among a group. (A) Do you jump on it thereby saving your friends with your body blown all to hell? (B) Do you run from it or (C) Do you pick it up and throw it? The stupidest answer is (A). The second choice will get you blown up too. Grenades are made to explode a given amount of time after arming and American ones are lethal up to 10 yards. How many people can run that far in, say 3 seconds, which is a maximum amount of time left? Any fool can see that picking it up and throwing it is the only choice since you can throw it further than you can run and at least get it far enough to keep from having your whole body torn apart.

Ethical thinking isn't always moral thinking and the last argument of The Leader, Obama, talks about morality and healthcare. Do you suppose that Emanuel is involved in that? It wouldn't surprise me since Rahm is his brother and well steeped in Chicago style politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top