Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
With respect, there are Democrat leaders in both the house and senate who are going around touting the fact that the democratic legislation now before the congress is but the FIRST STEP (their words) towards a single payer system. And several poster have already posted you tube videos where these people are on record, recently, for such.

So, I would not use the word "Never"
I do know what you mean by saying "never say never",lol, but I only was paraphrasing Obama. I don't know what else was said by various Democrats and I apologize if it came out like that. I just see universal health care as a given right not as a luxury only a select few may enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Haha!!!!

Yet. Ask Bawney Fwanks and see what the sneaky "game plan" is.

Of course, don't expect ANY of our glorious leaders to sign up for any public option or single payer system.
When and if it gets put on the table we can have the debate. Until then it's much ado about nothing.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I do know what you mean by saying "never say never",lol, but I only was paraphrasing Obama. I don't know what else was said by various Democrats and I apologize if it came out like that. I just see universal health care as a given right not as a luxury only a select few may enjoy.
How many would that 'select few' be?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I would welcome it, too, but I doubt that will occur. First of all, there will always be concierge providers for the wealthy, 2nd, Medicare supplement or other "supplement" plans will always be available, the private health care industry can and will "compete", at least with those who are in a "comfortable" financial situation, and who distrust "the big bad government". . . if those people choose a public system over the private one, they start re-thinking their position RIGHT NOW!
And many if not most of the companies that provide health benefits will likely drop them due to the existance of this now "affordable and quality driven" govt option. Sorry but that the reality. If affordable health care is available then companies will just drop their plans and let their employees fend for themselves. What are they going to do...leave their job....right! I guarantee these same people who are complaining about the current system will wish they never did when they are solely responsible for paying for their Govt. sponsored insurance and receiving Medicaid-like quality care.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
What could be done (I believe) is an amendment added to any of these bills that "at no time for at least the next 50 / 75 years, will the United States Congress entertain any legilation calling for a single payer health care system unless a Constitutional Amendment is ratified by the required number of States that would allow for such to be considered before such time period expires"

Hows that??

Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Yay! for excuses.

Millions of Americans figure out how to take care of themselves, but some d-bags continue to use stupid excuses to make a claim that they are incapable.

Funny that the majority of people in this country have figured out how to take care of themselves and their families, contributing far more to government coffers than they will ever recieve, and yet some people still have the audacity to make stupid claims that "its too hard".

I have had it with pathetic nanny state people that require everybody else to take care of them utilizing the strong arm of government as a piggy bank.

Grow up.
In 2007:
About 53% of American families spent more than they earned, around 1.30 for every dollar.
Average households carry some $9,700 in credit card debt.

Yup, they can take care of themselves alright.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Actually, single-payer would be MUCH better. Streamlined, cheaper, much less bureaucracy, etc. And once it was in place, all the "sky is falling" nonsense from the right wingnuts would fall silent. Because everybody would see that, in fact, it is NO BIG DEAL. Life would go on as usual. Business would be relieved of the burden of increasing health premiums; people could relax because they wouldn't have to worry about maybe someday losing their house due to medical bills; the cost of drugs would go down; the quality of medical treatment would go up and be the same everywhere. There would still be private doctors and clinics for those who would prefer not to mingle with the masses, but overall many, many of our current system's problems would be solved. And, last but not least, capitalism would still be here. Yes, that's right, people in France, the UK, and Scandinavian countries still own businesses, engage in free trade, and participate in a democracy. Amazing, isn't it? The only difference is that they--unlike us--have evolved into civilized societies in which every human being has access to free health care via taxes. Yes, TAXES!! OMG!!! Funny how nobody's screaming about all the TAXES needed to provide "free" education for their children, "free" garbage pick-up for their home, "free" water quality and other environmental controls, etc., to keep their lives as safe as possible. No, for some reason, it's providing "free" health care that really threatens this particular segment of American society.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Actually, single-payer would be MUCH better. Streamlined, cheaper, much less bureaucracy, etc. And once it was in place, all the "sky is falling" nonsense from the right wingnuts would fall silent. Because everybody would see that, in fact, it is NO BIG DEAL. Life would go on as usual. Business would be relieved of the burden of increasing health premiums; people could relax because they wouldn't have to worry about maybe someday losing their house due to medical bills; the cost of drugs would go down; the quality of medical treatment would go up and be the same everywhere. There would still be private doctors and clinics for those who would prefer not to mingle with the masses, but overall many, many of our current system's problems would be solved. And, last but not least, capitalism would still be here. Yes, that's right, people in France, the UK, and Scandinavian countries still own businesses, engage in free trade, and participate in a democracy. Amazing, isn't it? The only difference is that they--unlike us--have evolved into civilized societies in which every human being has access to free health care via taxes. Yes, TAXES!! OMG!!! Funny how nobody's screaming about all the TAXES needed to provide "free" education for their children, "free" garbage pick-up for their home, "free" water quality and other environmental controls, etc., to keep their lives as safe as possible. No, for some reason, it's providing "free" health care that really threatens this particular segment of American society.

When ever you ask what's wrong with single payer health care system, you get every excuse short of it will send us straight to hell.

The only thing I see it could do, is send some insurance company lawyers back to their first job, ambulance chasing.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
For those who support single payer - and doing away with insurance companies, be aware that the United States cannot afford the costs of it - all the insurance companies assets - ALL OF THEM - and all the stock owned by whomever, would have to first be purchased, at fair market value.

Trillions of dollars - and this before the doors are even opened.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
For those who support single payer - and doing away with insurance companies, be aware that the United States cannot afford the costs of it - all the insurance companies assets - ALL OF THEM - and all the stock owned by whomever, would have to first be purchased, at fair market value.

Trillions of dollars - and this before the doors are even opened.
Not the least bit true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies