Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The state's letter should have gone out long before the money did, and the money should have come in the form of a strict time-limited voucher.

Thanks for pointing out that these are likely white people, by the way.

Yea, well, fact is fact, so these conversation tend to turn racial, so might as well make the point. As i said in my post their race is of little concern to me. They could have been black if we were talking about Detroit. The fact that government did not do a better job of passing out the money is really my top concern. The race of the individual is a rather trivial side distraction, that most get themselves caught up with, and fail to see the actual problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Yea, well, fact is fact, so these conversation tend to turn racial, so might as well make the point. As i said in my post their race is of little concern to me. They could have been black if we were talking about Detroit. The fact that government did not do a better job of passing out the money is really my top concern. The race of the individual is a rather trivial side distraction, that most get themselves caught up with, and fail to see the actual problem.
I edited my post in the meantime and ABSOLUTELY agree that the supplies should be bought by the school district, which is able to negotiate bulk purchases from any suppliers in the US. An exciting idea!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times
I don't recall anyone saying anything about race other than delusianne. Never seems to miss the chance to throw the race card.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
Quote:
You carefully left out the point of the story: that the state's letters explaining what the extra money was for did not arrive.

How do you know those people hadnt already bought school supplies, or werent squared away to buy them?

Oh, you're just hoping? Assuming?

Your post really says more about you and the posters who jumped on going "Yeaah! Yeaah!" than about the people in the story.
So now its ok for people who are on ANY TYPE of government assistance program to squander money on none essentials because they didn't know what the extra cash was for?

F*cking seriously?

If they are on the public dole, cigarettes, booze, cell phones, and TVs should be off limit IN THEIR ENTIRITY.

Empathy breeds dependancy.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I don't recall anyone saying anything about race other than delusianne. Never seems to miss the chance to throw the race card.
Thanks, it was all the snickering Katrina references that inspired me.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So now its ok for people who are on ANY TYPE of government assistance program to squander money on none essentials because they didn't know what the extra cash was for?

F*cking seriously?

If they are on the public dole, cigarettes, booze, cell phones, and TVs should be off limit IN THEIR ENTIRITY.

Empathy breeds dependancy.
The OP deliberately left out the key fact of the story. No one on this board knows for certain what the school supply situation was for those people, but all of you jumped on the opportunity the OP threw open, to play "Look, Here Are Some People We Can Feel Superior To." You played it with glee and had no interest in the actual story. I think you're just miffed because I spoiled your hate-fest.

For myself Id rather discuss how this sort of problem can be avoided in the future. It was a bonehead play to send this money as cash to these folks. How about vouchers? How about the supplies being ready and waiting at the school to pick up, already bought by the school district? How about supplies not costing so much -- children shouldnt have to bring home every textbook every night; why backpacks at all? etc.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
The OP deliberately left out the key fact of the story. No one on this board knows for certain what the school supply situation was for those people, but all of you jumped on the opportunity the OP threw open, to play "Look, Here Are Some People We Can Feel Superior To." You played it with glee and had no interest in the actual story. I think you're just miffed because I spoiled your hate-fest.

For myself Id rather discuss how this sort of problem can be avoided in the future. It was a bonehead play to send this money as cash to these folks. How about vouchers? How about the supplies being ready and waiting at the school to pick up, already bought by the school district? How about supplies not costing so much -- children shouldnt have to bring home every textbook every night; why backpacks at all? etc.
Well you have to figure they didn't send checks to rich people.
The poor are usually the last to buy school supplies and even then the schools have the donation baskets where kids can get supplies for free.

A bit a logic here goes a long way.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:02 PM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
I don't think federal tax money should be spent on education at all. Education is a state responsibility.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
You'd think they would have learned from Katrina when they gave each family $1,500 on a gift card to buy necessities and they were spending it on booze, TV's and strippers.
So, true! I live in Houston and was here when we had a ton of Katrina victims here. I even took a family in for about a month and they were great but it was crazy to see how many others spent it on pawnshops and strip bars...

Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 PM

30 posts, read 58,240 times
I love a White person is interviewed and the obviously poor Dad mentions spending it on school supplies and clothes for his children.

And then they interview a guy at a sneaker store in an obviously Black area and he mentions how entire families come in and buy sneakers.

Reminds me of the stampede at Wal-Mart in NY on Black Friday... These people never, ever, cease to surprise me.

When will liberals learn you can't just throw money at Black people and expect them to flourish or use it for the intended purpose? I thought any area worldwide would show them this...

Reminds me of my younger days volunteering at a charity in Memphis where White families would work and donate toys and everyone who came in was Black. (they don't even volunteer in their own communities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies