Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,409 times

Advertisements

I have come to understand that Thomas Jefferson placed these words on the Declaration of Indepnedence, "that all men are created equal with certain inalienable rights that among these rights are the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
It's not clear to me at this point if we as US citizens enjoy these rights under the US Constitution or even if these freedoms are considered protected under the Bill of Rights.
One thing is clear at this point, though, If we as US citizens to have the right to life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the opposite is equally true, that no person has the right to prevent life and any stage of its' development and this alone makes abortion not only morally wrong but unconstitutional and illegal as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightfame63 View Post
I have come to understand that Thomas Jefferson placed these words on the Declaration of Indepnedence, "that all men are created equal with certain inalienable rights that among these rights are the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
It's not clear to me at this point if we as US citizens enjoy these rights under the US Constitution or even if these freedoms are considered protected under the Bill of Rights.
One thing is clear at this point, though, If we as US citizens to have the right to life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the opposite is equally true, that no person has the right to prevent life and any stage of its' development and this alone makes abortion not only morally wrong but unconstitutional and illegal as well.
An embryo is not a US citizen.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 AM

201 posts, read 240,064 times
Yes it is. At the time of conception it should be protected.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Nice try at a translation but thats now how it works. Under the most strict circumstances you will find that women still have total control over their body and can/will do what they feel is best for them.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 AM

201 posts, read 240,064 times
Then they should not get pregnant if they do not want a child. Only in the case of rape,incest or mental or physical defect should anyone be allowed to abort.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:

Like it or not, the Supreme Court disagreed with you.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:

Also it doesn't say that women have "the right to life, liberty...." either.
So with your line of reasoning, we can deduce, um, what?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot14 View Post
Then they should not get pregnant if they do not want a child. Only in the case of rape,incest or mental or physical defect should anyone be allowed to abort.
How can you make that exception? The child of a one-night stand is a citizen, the child of a rape isn't. That's inconsistent.

Anyway, the anti-abortion stance is an anti-woman stance. It rests on the premise that the woman seeking an abortion is either stupid, immoral, or incapable of making a rational decision. Personally, I don't think that women are that awful of a gender.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Abortion is a demand problem, not a supply problem.

That is, people don't get abortions simply because they are available. Abortions are available because people want them.

While I find this distasteful, this is the dynamic at work.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
um, that only the male embryos have the constitutional right to life. Females can be aborted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies