Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Rush, Newspeak and Fascism: An exegesis: VIII: Official Transmitters

"VIII.
Official Transmitters
by David Neiwert

The strange thing about watching Trent Lott's slow-motion toppling late last year was that the whole uproar was about something that was not particularly new or unknown about Lott.
Lott's lack of judgment, like that of many Republicans, is embodied in his dalliances with right-wing extremists, which had been well observed previously. In Lott's case, he had an open alliance with the Southern variant of extremism, embodied in the neo-Confederate movement, a band of Southern revivalists who unabashedly argue for modern-day secession by the former Confederate States: "The central idea that drives our organisation is the redemption of our independence as a nation," says the mission statement for the League of the South."

Hell, thayse gonna git rat on that there SEEcession thang.

Just as soon as Nascar raps up, and Toby Keith releases his new CD.
That the best you've got? There are people left, right and in between who are sick of the federal government, and motivations for secession are as numerous as secessionists. You'll find quite a mix of different sides with the SVR: Second Vermont Republic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That the best you've got? There are people left, right and in between who are sick of the federal government, and motivations for secession are as numerous as secessionists. You'll find quite a mix of different sides with the SVR: Second Vermont Republic

Yep, the 15% out there will give you noise- and perhaps a few lone nuts doing isolated violence- but little else.

Because they are only 15%.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
...while the adults are working hard to repair the damage from 8 years of Republican rule, 6 of which they were a majority and failed at everything they did.
Sure seems like things starting going downhill those last 2 years. Hmmm

Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sure seems like things starting going downhill those last 2 years. Hmmm

That's the year when Real Wages (the only source of money for 80% of Americans (see: Peterson, et al) peaked.

We've been on a slide since then.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You have to pay into both of those for years before you are allowed to use them.. So they are different than UHC...

And I do agree we do need to do something about the high cost of health insurance.

Well, sorry, to burst your bubbly Houston, but that goes for any government sponsored program on the tax payers back.

When Social Security first started the first individuals to get coverage and checks did not pay a dime into the system. In fact i'd estimate that the first 20 or 30 years of the program were abused by those who did not pay either a dime or remotely close to how much they got out of the program.

This is how government backed Ponzi Scheme work, sorry, if you were unaware.

Considering the people that will be getting UHC for the most part are employed, they'll be paying into the system, especially if government (which i hate) mandates, a tax on everyone that does not use healthcare. Now, the big question with Healthcare becomes are you paying in more than you'll ever get out. If you're a healthy younger worker like myself who does not smoke or drink, you will be screwed much like you currently are on your company sponsored plan, so im' basically damned either way! I cannot currently go to my health care provided and say, "Hey you guys i'm one of the good guys that takes care of myself, so can i get all the premiums, i did not use last year back?"

It doesn't happen in the private industry, what would make you think it would happen when it is public?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
He didn't say all of the opposition was racially motivated... I don't think you need to get very upset over this. There are obviously people who don't like Obama simply because he is black, and will oppose anything he does simply because he is black. To think that racists are logical enough to put that hate behind them and think rationally about health care reform is absurd, and you really should have thought about that before you made this post. Have you not seen the videos of people in the town hall meetings? Do you really think that much anger and rage comes from HEALTH CARE REFORM? No, its just blind hate.
We will just have to disagree on this one.

I happen to know very well that the same folks (my friends, family, neighbors, coworkers) who were upset about healthcare reform under Clinton are upset about it this go round, too. SO I think that is sheer horse hooey to make such a clearly prejudiced and stereotyped assumption about a group of people who happen to be against the programs they have seen - and tag on that they are all racists just b/c they live in the South.

I stand by what I said. The folks I know who are against healthcare reform were against it in 1993 and that was when Bill Clinton was in office - who is, btw, also a Southerner.

I think the way Southerners get labeled is narrowminded and bigoted and hateful.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We will just have to disagree on this one.

I happen to know very well that the same folks (my friends, family, neighbors, coworkers) who were upset about healthcare reform under Clinton are upset about it this go round, too. SO I think that is sheer horse hooey to make such a clearly prejudiced and stereotyped assumption about a group of people who happen to be against the programs they have seen - and tag on that they are all racists just b/c they live in the South.

I stand by what I said. The folks I know who are against healthcare reform were against it in 1993 and that was when Bill Clinton was in office - who is, btw, also a Southerner.

I think the way Southerners get labeled is narrowminded and bigoted and hateful.
Hey you can believe whatever you want to believe. But its your choice to make up problems if you really want to. And I love when conservatives pull the "Well all the people I know blah blah blah" You know less than .001% of the country, so what your friends and family do is really irrelevant to any conversation. To deny that there are racist people in America, ESPECIALLY if you live in the south, is just downright ignorant. Go look up the videos in west virginia during the democratic primaries. Theres a lot more of those people than friends you know. And they are a perfect example of just hating someone because of their race, so completely open and blatant about it. So I understand that of course thats not EVERYONE opposed to health care reform, but to say that none of it is racially motivated is ignorant and stupid.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow - Mike - I can't believe you said this.

I am a Southerner and I find what you said very disturbing b/c it is simply untrue.

I am stunned you would somehow twist discussions about healthcare insurance into racism.

Surely you don't really think that folks would be in favor of - or opposed to - something as general as healthcare b/c of prejudice against black people? That is beyond absurd. Really.

So when the country was screaming in opposition to healthcare reform under Clinton, it was b/c of racism?
With some poeple everyhthing is racism. Wander what he thinks of young blacks killing each other being their #1 cause of death?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:56 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We are no where near as divided as we were during the run up to the Civil War.

The reason why we were in that war was because an entire group of states were forcing another entire group of states to do something they wouldn't like. I know we have those "blue state/red state" maps, but we are considerably more intermingled than that.

I figure 4-6 years before any type of seperation of some states happen, i look for the feds to try and confiscate firearms before that happens.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:27 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I figure 4-6 years before any type of seperation of some states happen, i look for the feds to try and confiscate firearms before that happens.
Not gonna happen, but then again none of the predictions from the right ever do. No one is coming for your, or my, guns, where do you people get such tripe?
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies