Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,627,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm not surprised by the South, but Massachusetts surprised me. Only 29% liberal? Really?!
Those were self-imposed labels. Most Americans (even in Massachusetts) don't like to call themselves liberal. For a lot of people, the word "liberal" is still associated with weakness and effeminacy. Conservatives and Republicans did an excellent job of giving the word a negative connotation. The tide seems to have turned, however. Most young adults today don't want to be called conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 PM

18,948 posts, read 43,429,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well my home state of Florida is the oddball of the South! Please do not call us "southerners" because we are not! We voted for Obama and put him in the White House! Look at our Governor Crist who is a Republican but not some right wing douche bag. If it weren't for Florida i couldn't live in any other southern state.
Well just make sure you stay in the lower half of the state.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:36 PM

4,893 posts, read 3,345,843 times
Surprised by Iowa being considered 'more conservative', considering the reputation they have for being left-leaning/progressive. Especially compared to other neighboring Plains states.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:52 AM

804 posts, read 1,961,831 times
Texas is more "western" than "southern". Notice it didn't make either list. It's more "Libertarian" and split almost evenly. Of course, it depends on which region of the state one refers to.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM

97 posts, read 101,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well my home state of Florida is the oddball of the South! Please do not call us "southerners" because we are not! We voted for Obama and put him in the White House! Look at our Governor Crist who is a Republican but not some right wing douche bag. If it weren't for Florida i couldn't live in any other southern state.
And your educational system is one of the worst in the country still. Miami is a third world country and the economy is in shambles.

Yeah, funny how you are more worried about not being Southern than the devestating condition of your state

My state of Oregon is not exactly thriving right now either and we vote Dem as well

Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,985,686 times
That's a good first look, but the polll does not divide the various conservative camps, and show their geographical context.

For example, Mtn State Conservatives are more traditional, in the mainstream American sense, featuring libertarianism (when it suits them; heavy government control when it doesn't), and less social conservatism, to give it a nicer touch.

Not so the South; the mainstram of the GOP:

It's essential feature is hatred: race (mostly) but also anything that stands in the way of the old Bourbon class.

It is also not concerned with traditional democratic (notice case of the '"d") and is a major reason why the rest of the country has flushed the Republicans- as Voinovitch (R-Ohio) said.

In other verbage.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,835,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Those were self-imposed labels. Most Americans (even in Massachusetts) don't like to call themselves liberal. For a lot of people, the word "liberal" is still associated with weakness and effeminacy. Conservatives and Republicans did an excellent job of giving the word a negative connotation. The tide seems to have turned, however. Most young adults today don't want to be called conservative.
Why would the word liberal be associated with weakness and effeminacy?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,587,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Only 21% of the general U.S. population considers themselves liberal.

“Conservatives” Are Single-Largest Ideological Group
And half of them are in straight jackets...

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,985,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Why would the word liberal be associated with weakness and effeminacy?

That's because someone has ODed on Newt, Rove, and O'Liely.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,695,443 times
Not all "Conservatives" are Republican. Not all are bible-bangers. Not all are anti-equality. Not all have a well-stocked bomb shelter.

Though I am tempted from time to time because YOU ALL scare me. (Wink.)

Example? Viola:
Secular, Gay-friendly, gun-owning, money & goods donating, Bambi-feeding tree hugger who just happens to fall in to that personal responsibilty/socially semi-liberal/fiscally...ooh...it starts with a C...therefore often placing me in with the others I am probably nothing like otherwise.

If I were asked, are you this or that, only two choices...

Polls are wacky. Every time I take the Libertarian evaluation it puts me some where else on the scale - I belong but never in the same place...
Extreme Liberals think I'm Conservative. Hard-core Conservatives think I'm Liberal. Well, no...they think I'm the Devil, actually.
Huh.

So I don't put much weight on someone else's determination of who or what they think I am. How much or many...

I don't even know what I am.

Last edited by 33458; 08-17-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies