Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Not for you to judge. My opinion is just as valid as yours. In fact, my opinion is more valid as I have more knowledge of health insurance (I work with it every day) and am closer to the age of 18. Health Insurance is not a one-sided issue.
You sound like someone who hasn't had to deal with an expensive illness that was acquired through no fault of your own. Talk to me when you have a pre-existing condition and cannot afford your own healthcare.

By the way, I have great healthcare through my employer or I would be sh*t out of luck. My illness, just to keep me from getting sick, costs $1800 per month. I have a pretty good job but there is NO way I could afford health insurance on my own. I had to pay for it at the end of my time on disability and it was costing me nearly $900/month. This was BEFORE the MS diagnosis. I want everyone to have the same as I do or better. No, I don't want it for free, but I want it to be affordable (not have to decide between rent or healthcare insurance). If it costs me to help someone less fortunate, okay. I feel this way and I am not a religious person. How 'bout all you Christians? Isn't it the Christian thing to do to help those less fortunate???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:

The only way we could afford this is by scrapping costly coverage to the Elderly who really don't deserve it anyway. If you're 85, you've already done everything you were going to do with your life, so why waste billions keeping those geriatrics alive?
Someone seen Logan's Run recently? Next thing ya know, this person is going to suggest if you are over 30, Carousel for you! Pug Life, you might just be too young to get the reference....

Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
You sound like someone who hasn't had to deal with an expensive illness that was acquired through no fault of your own. Talk to me when you have a pre-existing condition and cannot afford your own healthcare.

By the way, I have great healthcare through my employer or I would be sh*t out of luck. My illness, just to keep me from getting sick, costs $1800 per month. I have a pretty good job but there is NO way I could afford health insurance on my own. I had to pay for it at the end of my time on disability and it was costing me nearly $900/month. This was BEFORE the MS diagnosis. I want everyone to have the same as I do or better. No, I don't want it for free, but I want it to be affordable (not have to decide between rent or healthcare insurance). If it costs me to help someone less fortunate, okay. I feel this way and I am not a religious person. How 'bout all you Christians? Isn't it the Christian thing to do to help those less fortunate???
Actually, I've had shoulder surgery, chronic back issues and have suffered ever since I grew 10" in a school year. So yeah, I know what it's like to suffer genetic health issues through no fault of my own. I also have a job with horrible health coverage and I have not been to a doctor in 2 years because my coverage was not what I had been used to. But I have money saved up for an emergency in my 401(k) and my after-tax investment accounts. And unlike most of the people out there, I actually invested wisely, selling Citigroup and Sallie Mae around 45 before the market crash and buying Ford at $1.15 after the crash.

I'm not a Christian. Where did you get that from?

The problem is that we're ignoring evolution here. You have to spend $21,600 a year just to keep from being sick? You do realize that you would be costing a lot of people the necessary coverage they need if you relied on the Government to provide that? Where does the $21,600 come from?

It sounds harsh, but your health defect is not something that we should all pay for.

I believe children deserve every opportunity, but once you're an adult, you are responsible for yourself. What is wrong with that?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Someone seen Logan's Run recently? Next thing ya know, this person is going to suggest if you are over 30, Carousel for you! Pug Life, you might just be too young to get the reference....
Unlike many people on City-Data, I actually understand history, I study it and understand the ramifications of the past. Logans Run has also been a subject of popular culture, being referenced in The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, and Sliders among others.

People over 30 should be able to take care of themselves. If they can't, then maybe they're not worth taking care of. If a person hasn't made anything of themseves by age 30, what makes you think they would suddenly become productive enough to make it worth what was sacrificed for their healthcare?

Let me ask you this, where is the money for universal health care going to come from? We already have a ridiculous national deficit and debt, so would you be willing to double your taxes? This country needs to CUT spending and increase revenue, it doesn't need to increase spending.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, I've had shoulder surgery, chronic back issues and have suffered ever since I grew 10" in a school year. So yeah, I know what it's like to suffer genetic health issues through no fault of my own.

Yes, but how much does your health insurance charge? These are typical issues that MOST people have once they are older than 20 (not the shoulder injury, but most people have back issues). If you were to switch insurance carriers would you be allowed pre-existing condition and all? I know I would not.

I'm not a Christian. Where did you get that from?
I wasn't saying YOU are a Christian, just in general. SORRY!

The problem is that we're ignoring evolution here. You have to spend $21,600 a year just to keep from being sick? You do realize that you would be costing a lot of people the necessary coverage they need if you relied on the Government to provide that? Where does the $21,600 come from?

You are right. But I pay taxes and if I am not working, how am I contributing? It is better to keep me healthy than to have to pay to house me and feed me for the next 40 years. You tell ME why it costs $450/shot to keep me healthy. I don't set the prices, I just like walking and being able to function. Besides, I pay WAY more than many in taxes. I have no children to get exemptions for, don't own a house so I have nothing to deduct when getting my taxes done.

It sounds harsh, but your health defect is not something that we should all pay for.

It is harsh and thank doG people like you who are lacking compassion are not in charge. I don't particularly want to pay for the people who have baby after baby but I will and not complain if what I pay also helps someone who has a heinous health issue. What do you suggest someone like me should do? Should I have failing health where I have a great chance of losig the ability to walk or should someone just take me out to the backyard and shoot me?

I believe children deserve every opportunity, but once you're an adult, you are responsible for yourself. What is wrong with that?
I am taking care of myself by working. I am lucky I have insurance. Health is not something that should be a commodity. IF health insurance were affordable I would have no arguement with you. The fact is it isn't afforable for anyone with major health issues. The insurance companies have too much power when they can deny you coverage even though you have been paying premiums or they can drop you because you are no longer profitable for them.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Unlike many people on City-Data, I actually understand history, I study it and understand the ramifications of the past. Logans Run has also been a subject of popular culture, being referenced in The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, and Sliders among others.

People over 30 should be able to take care of themselves. If they can't, then maybe they're not worth taking care of. If a person hasn't made anything of themseves by age 30, what makes you think they would suddenly become productive enough to make it worth what was sacrificed for their healthcare?

Let me ask you this, where is the money for universal health care going to come from? We already have a ridiculous national deficit and debt, so would you be willing to double your taxes? This country needs to CUT spending and increase revenue, it doesn't need to increase spending.
I'm curious. What if you were diagnosed with a genetic disorder later in life (say... 25, not quite old enough to have been making the big bucks, but old enough to support themselves) and it turns out that without a medication that is only made by one company (so they have a monopoly) you will die a very long and possibly painful death.

Would you simply succomb to death? What if it was your child?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I have made something of myself and it was before 30. My health issues started when I was closer to 40. What makes you think I haven't because I cannot afford to pay the entire cost of my healthcare myself? Think of how much LESS tax dollars we would get if we didn't provide healthcare for anyone you deem unworthy (anyone with an expensive yet not terminal disease) and their lives were shorter or they were unable to work due to their physical limitations. Again, what do YOU propose we do with these people? Death camps?

It is going to come from more taxes. I am realistic enough to see that. I think it is worth it. Perhaps we could end one of the useless wars we are in. Perhaps we could stop giving exemptions for each and every child a family has. Perhaps we could close some of the loopholes that allow those with millions to pay LESS in taxes because they get to write off a ton of stuff. I really don't have all the answers. I don't think you have the answers either.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
My idea, real simple.
Extend medicare to all 18 and under.
Have preventative health insurance for all, not thru employers, thru the state govts., but with a cap of 4k a year. Buy private insurance, just in case you need anything that cost more than 4k. Whatever you don't use up to 4k, is carried over to the next year.
4k, should easily cover things, like preventative care and mental health.
It would be paid for with a national sales tax of 1% (with a max of 10 dollars) on every thing sold except groceries and clothing.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
It is going to come from more taxes. I am realistic enough to see that. I think it is worth it. Perhaps we could end one of the useless wars we are in. Perhaps we could stop giving exemptions for each and every child a family has. Perhaps we could close some of the loopholes that allow those with millions to pay LESS in taxes because they get to write off a ton of stuff. I really don't have all the answers. I don't think you have the answers either.
Um, we're bringing the health care issue to the front before we're taking care of the economic issues.

Before health care can be addressed (and it should be cut right now), we must address the waste of our government:
War on Terror...it's a futile war against a tactic, not an army that can be defeated. Every terrorist we capture only creates more terrorists. The CIA can spy and keep us informed so we're prepared, but we do not need to be spending billions policing the Middle East when 99.999% of the terrorists out there would never reach the US.
Troops in Germany and other leftovers of WWII...Sorry, but there's no need for 50,000+ Americans to be in Germany for the Military. Just in their salaries we're spending over $1,500,000,000 to keep those men there for no reason.
War in Iraq...What purpose does it serve? What do we stand to gain?
War on Drugs...this one leads to crime and murder and it saps the economy by sending billions of American dollars to the black market and the cartels of Mexico, Columbia and the Taliban.
The Cuban Trade Embargo...it seems insignificant economically, but the embargo costs us a lot of money by keeping the gulf coast from being able to trade with Cuba. It wouldn't just help Cubans out, I personally would import Cuban cigars, rum and baseball players and I'd turn a huge profit off of them all. Plus, we already trade with China and Saudi Arabia, two countries with far worse human rights situations, so why not trade with our closest Caribbean neighbor?
None of these issues have been addressed, yet Obama (who claimed that he would go "line-by-line" through the budget and cut the fat) is talking about adding another costly program to the public debt.
We could add a luxury tax on electronic goods, but that would probably have a negative effect on economic activity. Instead, we need to cut costly government programs. The Drug War is #1 because it would not only allieviate federal costs, but also state and local costs while increasing tax revenue and keeping American dollars in America.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Um, we're bringing the health care issue to the front before we're taking care of the economic issues.

Before health care can be addressed (and it should be cut right now), we must address the waste of our government:

I don't agree we have to solve all of the below BEFORE we get health care reform. Then again I am not an economist so what do I know (not being sarcastic which is how it sounds, I am just being honest)?

War on Terror...it's a futile war against a tactic, not an army that can be defeated. Every terrorist we capture only creates more terrorists. The CIA can spy and keep us informed so we're prepared, but we do not need to be spending billions policing the Middle East when 99.999% of the terrorists out there would never reach the US.

I agree this war on terror is futile and needs to cease.

Troops in Germany and other leftovers of WWII...Sorry, but there's no need for 50,000+ Americans to be in Germany for the Military. Just in their salaries we're spending over $1,500,000,000 to keep those men there for no reason.

In theory I agree but not an expert in WHY they are still there but it DOES need to be looked into.

War in Iraq...What purpose does it serve? What do we stand to gain?

The only purpose it serves is to give Halliburton/KBR BIG contracts oh yeah, and to get the oil.

War on Drugs...this one leads to crime and murder and it saps the economy by sending billions of American dollars to the black market and the cartels of Mexico, Columbia and the Taliban.

This stupid WAR ON DRUGS needs to go! Make marijuana legal and tax the heck out of it. This will bring in tons of money.

The Cuban Trade Embargo...it seems insignificant economically, but the embargo costs us a lot of money by keeping the gulf coast from being able to trade with Cuba. It wouldn't just help Cubans out, I personally would import Cuban cigars, rum and baseball players and I'd turn a huge profit off of them all. Plus, we already trade with China and Saudi Arabia, two countries with far worse human rights situations, so why not trade with our closest Caribbean neighbor?

I also agree on this part.

None of these issues have been addressed, yet Obama (who claimed that he would go "line-by-line" through the budget and cut the fat) is talking about adding another costly program to the public debt.
We could add a luxury tax on electronic goods, but that would probably have a negative effect on economic activity. Instead, we need to cut costly government programs. The Drug War is #1 because it would not only allieviate federal costs, but also state and local costs while increasing tax revenue and keeping American dollars in America.
I agree that a lot needs to be cut. But not programs that provide services for those that need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies