Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Aren't many of the folks who support him in the health care debate hoping for "something for nothing, or for a very subsidized rate"?

I think many people believe that it is wrong to not provide at least minimum health care for you citizens, especially when those in jail get health care free of charge!.... I have never gotten a penny from the government in subsidies and don't plan on it. I do believe that it is inhumane and unethical to let people lose their life savings and a house they worked for all their life due to medical bills. No one should be denied health care. People are turned down for prior health issues, or if they can get insurance it is very expensive. I am absolutely sick and tired of dealing with our own health insurance company, who does whatever they can to get out of paying what they should be paying. The co-pays are ridiculous, other countries charge for a doctors visit what I pay for my co-pay here. Once I needed ONE pill of a generic, cheap drug before a procedure and my dentist prescribed me one pill, my co-pay was $15 for the one pill. This is outrageous.
Interesting how everyone just wants to watch out for number one... I have good health care and to heck with everyone else... just as long as I got mine. Isn't THAT the mantra??????? Sad.

I am most definitely for health care reform. Unfortunately no one seems to have the guts to stand up to corporate interests and give us the best option at the moment - Single Payer Healthcare.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I think many people believe that it is wrong to not provide at least minimum health care for you citizens, especially when those in jail get health care free of charge!.... I have never gotten a penny from the government in subsidies and don't plan on it. I do believe that it is inhumane and unethical to let people lose their life savings and a house they worked for all their life due to medical bills. No one should be denied health care. People are turned down for prior health issues, or if they can get insurance it is very expensive. I am absolutely sick and tired of dealing with our own health insurance company, who does whatever they can to get out of paying what they should be paying. The co-pays are ridiculous, other countries charge for a doctors visit what I pay for my co-pay here. Once I needed ONE pill of a generic, cheap drug before a procedure and my dentist prescribed me one pill, my co-pay was $15 for the one pill. This is outrageous.
Interesting how everyone just wants to watch out for number one... I have good health care and to heck with everyone else... just as long as I got mine. Isn't THAT the mantra??????? Sad.

I am most definitely for health care reform. Unfortunately no one seems to have the guts to stand up to corporate interests and give us the best option at the moment - Single Payer Healthcare.

I'm not in agreement that this is the best option, but what is really critical in this thread is the lack of a clear proposal by Obama, hence the roundabout way he responds to questions in this area.

What I want to see is Obama just come out and plainly state this objective, as you have in your posting. His failure to clearly state an objective is causing a lot of the disruption in discussions.

I think that you have two central groups tugging at this issue. You have a group with health insurance that they are generally satisfied with, and don't want to see this evaporate. You have another group either unhappy with their coverage, or lacking coverage, and wanting change.

Obama has failed to propose something that reconciles these groups.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
How would you reconcile what is in the public interest and what is in the corporations interest??? The corporations spend BILLIONS to lobby our politicians and the public is brainwashed into believing nonsense that has no basis in reality... thereby scaring them into believing that any change will be a negative.

I don't like Obama's proposals because IMO he doesn't go far enough. Health care is too important of an issue to submit to the greediness of corporations... number one priority of corporations is to make money... that doesn't mix with giving people affordable quality health care.

This is a great discussion about the health care reform...

YouTube - BILL MOYERS JOURNAL | Single Payer Health Insurance | PBS

forum rules, please read them

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-14-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I listened very carefully to Obama answer questions and he never made a reference to the very thing that I don't ever hear him talk about. When asked how he planned to finance this health insurance bill he went off on a longwinded spiel about how the $800 to $900 billion (over 10 years) it is supposed to cost would be paid for. All he needs to do is say that the $500 billion he and the Congress have talked about taking from Medicare next year would easily pay for the $90 billion needed next year. They talked and talked, some time ago, about cutting that money and now I never hear them talk about what they will do with that very sizable sum of money.

Is there anybody here who can tell me where that money will be used?
Based on the rough proposal it was being asked to estimate for, the CBO estimated that after savings mandates and PAYGO are implemented it'll have cost something like $240B over 10 years. Many threads on plans for these savings, plus Obama is quoted on it in major news sources. You wont find it at wnd though, or on Glenn's show.

Last edited by delusianne; 08-14-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
How would you reconcile what is in the public interest and what is in the corporations interest??? The corporations spend BILLIONS to lobby our politicians and the public is brainwashed into believing nonsense that has no basis in reality... thereby scaring them into believing that any change will be a negative.

I don't like Obama's proposals because IMO he doesn't go far enough. Health care is too important of an issue to submit to the greediness of corporations... number one priority of corporations is to make money... that doesn't mix with giving people affordable quality health care.
Multiple ways to approach this type of issue. I disagree with comprehensive coverage provided by the government due to anticipated abuses, both in how coverage would be provided and abuses by the insured. Many proposed changes can be appropriately viewed as negative, say a tax on specific "unhealthy" foods. Some support this, others oppose.

My view is that a single payer system for "catastrophic coverage" may be acceptable, depending upon how it is structured. This should preculde the issue of bankruptcy due to medical bills. For coverage below this high level, I would favor purchase of private insurance in a competitive market.

Meanwhile, whether your view or mine, I don't see clarity in how Obama discusses the issue, nor do I see him acknowledge the impact on cost by providing preventive care. The Congressional Budget Office (a thread with links exist on this issue) has determined preventive screenings and testing will add total cost to a proposed program, not cut cost. Obama hasn't addressed how he plans to handle this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies