Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Those few idiots have no idea.

But is democracy dead in the US?

Well, as in the period 1880-1932, we've reverted back to plutocracy.

This version is more pernicious, so it mremains to be seen if true rule by the people will ever again be a reality.
I think we're in a corporatocracy myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
That's the problem with people who think this way. The "go back to the closet" is very telling. The thing is that everything that is in the closet has to eventually come out when it is time to clean it out again. Everything that is swept under the rug has to eventually get swept out again when it is time for a deep cleaning.

Healthcare reform (which is the big one now) has been started and stopped, started and stopped (put in and out of the closet) since the 1940's when Harry Truman was holding a sign that said, "healthcare reform". There is no turning back the tide now, it is too powerful and many people are now mobilized and wanting change. If more people want change than not, then change WILL occur. That is what democracy is about. Those who want to live in denial SHOULD go back to the closet and/or under a rock where they are more comfortable.

The majority of the people want change and that is why they voted for change.
We are a "Representative Republic", not a "Democracy".

Old 08-16-2009, 05:03 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think we're in a corporatocracy myself.
Very true.

And since corporations function on money, not public support, we are also a plutocracy.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
That's the problem with people who think this way. The "go back to the closet" is very telling. The thing is that everything that is in the closet has to eventually come out when it is time to clean it out again. Everything that is swept under the rug has to eventually get swept out again when it is time for a deep cleaning.

Healthcare reform (which is the big one now) has been started and stopped, started and stopped (put in and out of the closet) since the 1940's when Harry Truman was holding a sign that said, "healthcare reform". There is no turning back the tide now, it is too powerful and many people are now mobilized and wanting change. If more people want change than not, then change WILL occur. That is what democracy is about. Those who want to live in denial SHOULD go back to the closet and/or under a rock where they are more comfortable.

The majority of the people want change and that is why they voted for change.

Yes, they want change, but everything the democrats have done thus far has either failed miserably or been crafted to benefit Democrats in office and their supporters. We've simply had enough of the self-dealing.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,955 times
never existed--

Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You mean like radicals who overthrew a ruling government and founded a new country?
I'm not sure who you might be talking about, but if you are referring to American History, we "overthrew" no one. We were left with no choice but to declare independence, because the King of England was unresponsive to our needs, and left us at the mercy of pirates, etc.

Our declaration of independence sums up the predicament we were in. It was a matter of survival, as much as anything. We were simply forced into making that decision. Basically, the King was "not doing his job" as far as the Colonies were concerned. He was not attentive to their most basic needs.

It wasn't that anybody wanted or even advocated revolution; they didn't. Indeed, there was much resistance to the idea of independence. The very thought scared people. Most would rather have "suffered" under the hardships imposed on them.

But when we were refused the protections of our ships, and were being plundered by Barbary Pirates (and the King did nothing), it was time for us to take action on our own.

We had not been subject to the British Parliament. The relationship of the Colonies to the King were more "contractual" in nature. The King was breaking that contract.

This is not being taught in American Public schools in our modern times. People are really ignorant of the history of our "revolution" (which it really was not; not in the sense of, for example the French Revolution).

Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Take home message-

If you oppose Obama, you are just stupid. George Soros is the only one who has the right to arrange and finance opposition groups in America. Haven't you heard?

Less educated right wing? Why is it that average republican IQs are higher than democrats? Why do the republicans control most of the wealth in the US? I guess if we were so stupid (my IQ was measured at 156 in med school), we would be poor, like many democrats.

Just because someone disagrees with your point of view does not mean they are "ignorant" or "stupid". They simply have a different point of view. I do not agree with lefties, as I think they are misguided and do not understand practicality vs idealism. Condemning an opposing view as "stupid" is capitulation to an inability to formulate a coherent counter point to thier views.
Which is why you attend UofI ROFL!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I hear people in Town Hall meeting saying that they want America back to the way it use to be.

What does that mean?

go back and bring the USA back to a Republic, not a democracy.

all democracies in the past have always failed.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I am speculating that people, like me, grow concerned when a sitting POTUS tells people to stop talking so much and get out of his way so he can fix a mess created by another POTUS.
Exactly, and though Bush was not a "saint" in terms of his spending as though there were no tomorrow, the bulk of the problems we are facing today were caused by DEMOCRAT presidents: The CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) created by Jimmy Carter and expanded by Bill Clinton is the primary cause of the Banking/Mortgage "meltdown" along with groups like ACORN and their "Community Organizers (a.k.a. "agitators"), of which Obama was one, pressuring (strong arming) banks to make risky loans to people who could not afford them. This has been a long time in the making.

Republicans warned on many occasions that the program was headed for disaster, (documented, so make no attempt to deny it. It's on video, our own Democrat lawmakers in their own words, defending Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the CRA and the policies that led to the collapse).

It irks me to no end to hear this liar make the claim that "somebody else" "created the mess we are in" (of course it wasn't his out of control spending and lack of any real "stimulus", like reducing the Capital Gains tax). We only need look at where we were a year ago, and where we are now. Under Bush, unemployment was at a historic low. It is now reaching depression era figures.

Everything this "president" has done so far has been a negative on the economy, and has resulted in more lost jobs.

Construction is at a virtual standstill (and since I rely on construction and home improvement for my livelihood, I can tell you that there simply is no work, and one of my clients, also in the business (a different branch...excavating and landscaping) has told me that his business is "dead"). This is all Obama's doing. Nobody else is to blame.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
A mess he was complicit with creating as a senator.

Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies