Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:53 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times

Advertisements

When Vegetarians don't object when meat eaters have a barbecue upwind, we'll all play nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Read up on what the Mormon church puts their members through when it comes out that they are gay. Its brutal, abusive and should be illegal. I can see where the gay community would have a problem specifically with the Mormon church. At least the church I grew up in just drives gay people out of the community by the open dissapproval, they don't lock them in mental facilities and torture them.

The Mormon church is reaping what they have sown on this one.
Where are you reading that at? You get your info from those that are dealing with same sex attraction? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints allows everyone to live as they choose. My brother is gay and he chooses to live that way. If you were to ask him he has had nothing but love and respect from his friends in the church including the leaders in our area. We have a dozen friends that have faced the same situation and they were never placed in a mental facility or tortured. Please show actual documentation for this abuse.

Why is it that the Mormon church is singled out when Baptist, Catholics, and many more were also involved within the state. Members of all these churches gave money and time to pass a proposition that they all believed in. Are people that have a same sex attraction going after those churches?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Where are you reading that at? You get your info from those that are dealing with same sex attraction? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints allows everyone to live as they choose. My brother is gay and he chooses to live that way. If you were to ask him he has had nothing but love and respect from his friends in the church including the leaders in our area. We have a dozen friends that have faced the same situation and they were never placed in a mental facility or tortured. Please show actual documentation for this abuse.

Why is it that the Mormon church is singled out when Baptist, Catholics, and many more were also involved within the state. Members of all these churches gave money and time to pass a proposition that they all believed in. Are people that have a same sex attraction going after those churches?
I don't single the Mormon church out, I think most religions have their special way of mis-treating people, for example gay people. This thread just happens to be about gay people and the Mormon church.
If you are unaware of what the church has done to gay people, maybe you should do some research on your own. I am sure your church denies it much like many other churches deny their own wrong doing.

Term Paper on Research Papers. Essays, Research Papers on Homosexuality

To Be Gay — And Mormon | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com

Your saying you really don't know what "reparative therapy" is??

Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
I think the Mormon Church has contributed far more to these types of ballot initiatives than other churches. It shouldn't be a surprise that protesters are targeting the Mormon Church.

With that said, I don't at all agree with the "kiss-ins" if the people participating are trespassing onto private property.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:

Are you SURE they let people choose to live the way they want?
If that was true, they wouldn't have donated a SINGLE penny to fund Prop 8 in California.

I'm a lesbian and trust me, I didn't CHOOSE to be a lesbian. Just because your brother CHOSE to be gay doesn't mean all the other gays and lesbians on this earth chose to be gay.

Just because YOUR friends and family members didn't have to go through reparative therapy doesn't mean many others don't have to go through it through the encouragement of The Mormon Church.

I guess you never heard of the story of the guy who shot himself on the steps of the Mormon Church. His name was Stuart Matis. You might want to do some research on him. Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons

It just breaks my heart all of this could have been avoided if the Mormon Church were more accepting of gay and lesbian individuals.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
My brother is gay and he chooses to live that way.
As opposed to what? Pretending that he's heterosexual? It's pretty much established that people don't choose their sexual orientation. They can choose to be celibate, of course, but that won't change their attractions.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think the Mormon Church has contributed far more to these types of ballot initiatives than other churches. It shouldn't be a surprise that protesters are targeting the Mormon Church.

With that said, I don't at all agree with the "kiss-ins" if the people participating are trespassing onto private property.
Oh you are SO right, when I was looking for the sources that I posted in my last message, I was SHOCKED to see the lengths they went to.

Again, the Mormon church has reaped what they have sown. If I were gay, I would join right in, disrupting away.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
As opposed to what? Pretending that he's heterosexual? It's pretty much established that people don't choose their sexual orientation. They can choose to be celibate, of course, but that won't change their attractions.
People don't choose to sleep around then? People don't choose to be pedophiles either then? people don't choose to be wife beaters then? People don't choose anything I guess, we are just born that way and can't make a choice for ourselves. I didn't choose to write this, i was forced to do it.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
People don't choose to sleep around then? People don't choose to be pedophiles either then? people don't choose to be wife beaters then? People don't choose anything I guess, we are just born that way and can't make a choice for ourselves. I didn't choose to write this, i was forced to do it.
Are you somehow insinuating that homosexuality is EQUAL to promiscuity and being a pedophile?

I would sure as heck hate to be your brother knowing my own flesh and blood was accusing me of being a pedophile.

Actually pedophiles don't choose to be pedophiles. I learned this in my advanced Psychology class. People also don't choose to be gay and lesbian, stop drinking the Focus on the Family koolaid and believing all the twisted "facts" those in your Mormon Temple will tell you.

In any case, I feel like your opinions won't be changed and that's pretty sad but please know that homosexuality is NOT equivalent to pedophilia.

Homosexuality is being attracted to those of the same sex.
Pedophilia is being attracted to young children.
Only a dumb @ $ $ would think they were the same thing.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Are you somehow insinuating that homosexuality is EQUAL to promiscuity and being a pedophile?

I would sure as heck hate to be your brother knowing my own flesh and blood was accusing me of being a pedophile.

Actually pedophiles don't choose to be pedophiles. I learned this in my advanced Psychology class. People also don't choose to be gay and lesbian, stop drinking the Focus on the Family koolaid and believing all the twisted "facts" those in your Mormon Temple will tell you.

In any case, I feel like your opinions won't be changed and that's pretty sad but please know that homosexuality is NOT equivalent to pedophilia.

Homosexuality is being attracted to those of the same sex.
Pedophilia is being attracted to young children.
Only a dumb @ $ $ would think they were the same thing.
Thats exactly what this person is saying. Somehow in the minds of some heterosexuals, being gay equals being a pedophile or being gay equals being promiscuous...all SO not true. But they have to believe that don't they in order to make being gay wrong.

Being gay isn't a choice, who would choose to be shunned by a majority of the population, who would choose a way of life that deprives you of the same rights others have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies