Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

Advertisements

this went completely over your head. i should have known.
bestiality? really? i didnt know a moose could say "i do".
many people have a problem with gay marriage because of religion. the same way they did with miscegenation (you'll probably have to look that up). they said it was un natural. that GOD put people on different continents to ensure they didnt mix. they used the same tired arguments about bestiality. etc etc. but you probably dont know that history. it was silly then, its silly now.

either way religion should never be sued to limit a citizens right...
some people do not agree with inter racial marriages (posters here), does anyone have the right to deny them that freedom?

i doubt you will understand that either.

your REALLY are dismissed now. you cant keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The real shame in this post is the utter and total denial it displays.

Just as view incestuous marriages and beastiality to be wrong on many levels, there are many people out there who feel exactly the same way about gay marriage.

Of course, I don't expect a normal response, probably another insult or attempt at belittling. I mean, that's all you people seem to have to say to opponents. No substance, just flamethrowing.

Its as if The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints singlehandedly invented opposite-sex marriage and IT is the oddity-not same sex marriage.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
At the time of Polygamy the nation had no laws against it. The idea behind it has never ended. When a law was made banning the practice those that were practicing Polygamy moved to Mexico where their was no law against it. One of our beliefs is in being subject to kings, magistrates, presidents and laws of the land. Generally speaking Mormons follow the law of the land and support it. Although today it is not practiced by members of the Church it is still something that we believe is of God. As far as allowing all worthy males the opportunity to hold the Priesthood, that is something that came from a Revelation to our then Prophet Spencer W. Kimball. It was in 1979 that the revelation came about. Why bow down to anyone then and not in the 60's when the problems of race were more prevalent? The reason is that the Priesthood is Gods and he can give it to anyone he wants at any time he wants.
So if a law is passed requiring women and homosexuals get equal access to all religious positions, will the entire church up and move to Mexico or get a "revelation" to change practices?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;10339634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
In a former post I mentioned to someone that in God told Adam and Eve to multiply and replenish the Earth. That is a commandment or Law that God gave to all people. He has yet to rescind that law. The point is that same sex couples can not follow that law.

Jillz was comenting that she a married woman is not having kids and same sex couples can addopt. My comment had to do with this. The law in the Bible is plain as day, multiply and replenish the Earth. You either live it or you don't.

You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. I do believe it though.
Thanks for explaining this particular law. You obviously are following it because that is what you believe. How about all the others that do NOT follow the same religion? What I see though is a law that only applies to like-minded Christians and there are MANY other religions out there as well as those like me who follow no religion. No one voted on these laws that come from stories handed down through the ages. They may speak for you and how YOU live your life but there are a great many that it doesn't speak for.

Again, someone PLEASE tell me how two women or two men who marry (adults who pay taxes and are not here illegally, don't commit crimes, and are contributing members of society) affect YOUR marriage? Does it make it weaker? Does it raise your taxes? Does it stop you from seeking anything you want? It must do something other than go against the law of the bible to get you all so up in arms about it.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Those with same sex attraction are pushing their way of life on everyone.
Not sure what you're talking about unless you're saying that someone is forcing you to have a same-sex relationship.

Have you considered how much society "pushes" heterosexuality on everyone? Many gay people (including myself) go through a period of trying to date the opposite sex, just because society tells us we're supposed to do that. How many heterosexuals go through a frustrating time of trying to date someone of the same sex due to societal pressure? (Answer: Zero.)

Gays aren't pushing their way of life on you. If that's really what you believe, I think you should seek therapy.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
What do you lose by letting a man marry 2 women? What do you personally care if your neighbor marries a child? what would you stand to lose if someone wanted to marry their sibling or an animal?

I mean if its all about love and letting others be free to do as they please, what's it to the rest of us?

Just as you probably draw the line at incest, polygamy and beastiality, some of us draw the line at same sex marriage.
You were unable to answer his question, so you responded with a series of off-topic questions of your own.

I'll ask the same question that he asked: What do you lose if two people of the same sex get married?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Actually 2 Million Obama voters such as myself put Prop 8 over the top.
That has nothing to do with what I said. Again, you're avoiding answering the question and trying to distract from the argument.

Quote:
That's odd. Im not the one that can't accept the decision by voters to pass Prop 8.
Again, you're not even responding to my comment. You're just blathering, with (I guess) a sense of superiority.

You basically said that anyone in favor of same-sex marriage has been "brainwashed". As I said before, that allegation can be made in either direction. You may be shocked to learn this, but intelligent people can come to different conclusions about a subject. There's not always just one correct answer. The world isn't that simple.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 PM

One thing I'm reminded of while I read through this thread: I'm so glad I'm not religious and that I don't believe in God.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:00 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That has nothing to do with what I said. Again, you're avoiding answering the question and trying to distract from the argument.
No it has everything to do with the argument--only you don't want to hear it.

What else is new?

Quote:
Again, you're not even responding to my comment. You're just blathering, with (I guess) a sense of superiority.
I'm sorry, did you say something?

Quote:
You basically said that anyone in favor of same-sex marriage has been "brainwashed". As I said before, that allegation can be made in either direction.
Yet its so refreshing that for once the allegation as leveled at yall.

If it causes deep introspection I'm glad.

Quote:
You may be shocked to learn this, but intelligent people can come to different conclusions about a subject.
Oh, tell that to you ilk who blacklisted Mormons for simply voting their conscience and putting their money where their mouths are.

Quote:
One thing I'm reminded of while I read through this thread: I'm so glad I'm not religious and that I don't believe in God.
Meanwhile your ancestors are probably clamoring from the other side for you to do just that-believe in God.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this went completely over your head. i should have known.
bestiality? really? i didnt know a moose could say "i do".
many people have a problem with gay marriage because of religion. the same way they did with miscegenation (you'll probably have to look that up). they said it was un natural. that GOD put people on different continents to ensure they didnt mix. they used the same tired arguments about bestiality. etc etc. but you probably dont know that history. it was silly then, its silly now.

either way religion should never be sued to limit a citizens right...
some people do not agree with inter racial marriages (posters here), does anyone have the right to deny them that freedom?

i doubt you will understand that either.

your REALLY are dismissed now. you cant keep up.
Like I said, you guys can't even say let's agree to disagree.

That is so incredibly telling.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
ummmm theres only ONE of me. there is no you guys.

is that whay you want? an agree to disagree?
nope. this is about a citizens right. when those rights are trampled i can not be quiet... or "agree to disagree"

it should be clear cut. religion should not be used to limit individual freedoms. in this case the freedom to marry who one chooses.

Quote:
Like I said, you guys can't even say let's agree to disagree.

That is so incredibly telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies