U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 AM
 
Location: The Woods
18,231 posts, read 25,973,646 times
Reputation: 11090

Advertisements

Milwaukee Mayor Beaten, Hospitalized - WGBA - (http://www.nbc26.com/Global/story.asp?S=10937726 - broken link)

The mayor who says no one needs a gun for protection and wants anyone legally carrying a gun arrested in his city. I wonder if he learned any lessons and if he'll still say "call the police" instead of carry a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Midwest
38,498 posts, read 25,326,963 times
Reputation: 10787
Are you trying to say that next time he would rather be shot to death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
 
Location: The Woods
18,231 posts, read 25,973,646 times
Reputation: 11090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are you trying to say that next time he would rather be shot to death?
Umm, no. He wouldn't of been beaten if he had a gun instead of a cell phone. He has been a major enemy to gun owners in WI, threatening to illegally arrest people openly carrying handguns (a protected right in WI). He has always said there's no reason to carry one, the police will protect you. Well, he got beaten trying to call the police from his cellphone...the irony is something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,870,226 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Milwaukee Mayor Beaten, Hospitalized - WGBA - (http://www.nbc26.com/Global/story.asp?S=10937726 - broken link)

The mayor who says no one needs a gun for protection and wants anyone legally carrying a gun arrested in his city. I wonder if he learned any lessons and if he'll still say "call the police" instead of carry a gun?

Keep that kind of nutty stuff in Palinland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Midwest
38,498 posts, read 25,326,963 times
Reputation: 10787
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Umm, no. He wouldn't of been beaten if he had a gun instead of a cell phone. He has been a major enemy to gun owners in WI, threatening to illegally arrest people openly carrying handguns (a protected right in WI). He has always said there's no reason to carry one, the police will protect you. Well, he got beaten trying to call the police from his cellphone...the irony is something else.
If his assailant also has a gun, then what?

Last edited by jojajn; 08-16-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 AM
 
Location: The Woods
18,231 posts, read 25,973,646 times
Reputation: 11090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If his assailant also has a gun, then what?
Self-defense training would play a large role in determining the outcome of such a situation.

Are you arguing that he was better off unarmed and defenseless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
7,825 posts, read 8,299,229 times
Reputation: 8531
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Umm, no. He wouldn't of been beaten if he had a gun instead of a cell phone. He has been a major enemy to gun owners in WI, threatening to illegally arrest people openly carrying handguns (a protected right in WI). He has always said there's no reason to carry one, the police will protect you. Well, he got beaten trying to call the police from his cellphone...the irony is something else.
What a despicable thing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: The Woods
18,231 posts, read 25,973,646 times
Reputation: 11090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What a despicable thing to say.
How so? Now he's experienced what several citizens have whom he has threatened to violate the civil rights of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,870,226 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Self-defense training would play a large role in determining the outcome of such a situation.

Are you arguing that he was better off unarmed and defenseless?
How about the Fla woman who mastered the self-defense training required for concealed carry, then shot herself in the buttocks one night because she thought she heard a noise?

No self defense course will prepare you for situations you encounter except the OJT of a PD- and even they make many mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: The Woods
18,231 posts, read 25,973,646 times
Reputation: 11090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
How about the Fla woman who mastered the self-defense training required for concealed carry, then shot herself in the buttocks one night because she thought she heard a noise?

No self defense course will prepare you for situations you encounter except the OJT of a PD- and even they make many mistakes.
If you think the police are so great...how about the cop who shot himself in the foot immediately after saying he was the only one qualified in the room to have the gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top