Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,849,124 times

Advertisements

EDWARDSVILLE: Upscale Edwardsville house may be seized in meth case | Top Stories | News Democrat
"If they use cars or houses in furtherance of selling drugs, we will be getting much more aggressive on this in my office," he said. "This is the kind of thing we might not have gone after in the past because it's tricky with the land trust, but we are going to take away the assets used."
Gibbons said the trust had purchased the house for $455,000 on Oct. 22, but the mortgage was for $355,000, so there was likely a $100,000 down payment made

I dunno much about meth, except, it's a terrible drug that destroys lives, like heroin. But I'm going to guess that 17 grams isn't worth 455,000 dollars and your car.

The next link is for the laugh. If you apply his words to the above case, it's hilarious. But it's what is happening.

Albuquerque sued over DWI vehicle seizures | ABQJournal Online
City Attorney David Tourek said he is “very confident” the city’s DWI forfeiture ordinance is constitutional. It includes provisions to protect “innocent owners” who lent their car to someone else who ended up arrested for driving while intoxicated, he said.
Furthermore, the program improves public safety, Tourek said.
“The DWI ordinance, we believe, is saving lives because drunk drivers are not getting their cars back,” he said in an interview.

But, it's not just drunk drivers....which might make sense. It's ANYONE'S car.

The city proceeds with seizure even when the driver hasn’t been convicted and even if the person doesn’t actually own the car, according to the suit.
“The owner does not have to be arrested, much less convicted, of a crime to have his or her property taken,” the lawsuit said.
The lawsuit says that proceeds from the DWI forfeiture program are used to pay for about $487,000 in annual employee salaries and for equipment, in addition to $500,000 to buy police vehicles every two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,488,681 times
I`m pretty sure this kind of crap started during the Reagan administration. 2 marijuana plants growing in your yard? Your home is no longer yours.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,476,088 times
Asset forfeiture is an outrage.

Sarah Stillman: The Use and Abuse of Civil Forfeiture : The New Yorker

Old 01-06-2014, 09:09 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
EDWARDSVILLE: Upscale Edwardsville house may be seized in meth case | Top Stories | News Democrat
"If they use cars or houses in furtherance of selling drugs, we will be getting much more aggressive on this in my office," he said. "This is the kind of thing we might not have gone after in the past because it's tricky with the land trust, but we are going to take away the assets used."
Gibbons said the trust had purchased the house for $455,000 on Oct. 22, but the mortgage was for $355,000, so there was likely a $100,000 down payment made

I dunno much about meth, except, it's a terrible drug that destroys lives, like heroin. But I'm going to guess that 17 grams isn't worth 455,000 dollars and your car.

The next link is for the laugh. If you apply his words to the above case, it's hilarious. But it's what is happening.

City Attorney David Tourek said he is “very confident” the city’s DWI forfeiture ordinance is constitutional. It includes provisions to protect “innocent owners” who lent their car to someone else who ended up arrested for driving while intoxicated, he said.
Furthermore, the program improves public safety, Tourek said.
“The DWI ordinance, we believe, is saving lives because drunk drivers are not getting their cars back,” he said in an interview.

But, it's not just drunk drivers....which might make sense. It's ANYONE'S car.

The city proceeds with seizure even when the driver hasn’t been convicted and even if the person doesn’t actually own the car, according to the suit.
“The owner does not have to be arrested, much less convicted, of a crime to have his or her property taken,” the lawsuit said.
The lawsuit says that proceeds from the DWI forfeiture program are used to pay for about $487,000 in annual employee salaries and for equipment, in addition to $500,000 to buy police vehicles every two years.
It's an obvious money grab from a sadistic city official in need of funding for his department.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,472,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Don't use your assets to commit crimes then. Pretty simple right?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,145,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Do we get to go after cop's pensions when they break the law?

Maybe all the settlements can come out of the Police budget rather than the taxpayer's.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Do we get to go after cop's pensions when they break the law?

Maybe all the settlements can come out of the Police budget rather than the taxpayer's.
Yes, pensions are usually taken from people after they break the law in their jobs. Not all the time, but many they are. People's assets aren't taken for every crime either. The crimes where they do it are well known. It's your own fault if you still commit them and get caught.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,849,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It helps if you read the link. Because what you said ....and the link they quoted.... makes no sense at all.
See, there was no crime committed, but they had their money taken from them. Their crime was having money.

So, we can take from your statement that having money is crime enough to take the money. Wait, that sounds like welfare. Except this is welfare where they threaten to take your kids with CPS, unless you give them the money. (Also from that link.)

Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,315,035 times
Going out and drinking and driving is a personal choice, something I choose not to do. I'm not sure what to suggest in these situations. I don't believe in the drug war, however meth is also a poor choice of a drug if someone is going to do one, and making it is an even dumber idea. I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy for people causing making or using meth... marijuana on the other hand well I'm glad there are people out there blatantly doing it and posting about it, they are braver than I... I choose to obey the law by in large.

The drug war is failed policy, however I have no sympathy for meth users losing their home..

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It helps if you read the link. Because what you said ....and the link they quoted.... makes no sense at all.
See, there was no crime committed, but they had their money taken from them. Their crime was having money.

So, we can take from your statement that having money is crime enough to take the money. Wait, that sounds like welfare. Except this is welfare where they threaten to take your kids with CPS, unless you give them the money. (Also from that link.)
It was drug money. It ALWAYS gets confiscated. Stop the dramatics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies