Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
I wasn't asking you to prove a negative. I only asked for you to find one internationally recognized professional scientific organization that rejects the science behind global warming.

In terms of peer-reviewed papers,

BEYOND THE IVORY TOWER: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change -- Oreskes 306 (5702): 1686 -- Science

The debate over global warming ended a decade ago. Money infused by the energy sector, intended not to illuminate but to obfuscate, has kept the topic alive much longer than its best before date because the media (and the general population) aren't as science-savvy as they should be.
And I've asked for peer reviewed LABATORY TESTING to show that man's carbon emmisions are causing this.

Statistical "evidence" isn't proof.

I'll put up when you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And I've asked for peer reviewed LABATORY TESTING to show that man's carbon emmisions are causing this.

I'll put up when you do.
And I stated before that it is impossible to replicate something as complicated as the climate of a planet within a laboratory. We do not have a duplicate earth to run experiments upon. There is sufficient evidence to convince the world's leading scientists to a 90% certainty that our carbon emissions are accelerating global warming.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud70 View Post
Here they come!
You have to be kidding ;if that is your proof. This season has tied the record for least storms in all the years records have been keep. kind of proofs the opposite ;if anything.Only seven time has there been no stroms by the end of july.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
And I stated before that it is impossible to replicate something as complicated as the climate of a planet within a laboratory. We do not have a duplicate earth to run experiments upon. There is sufficient evidence to convince the world's leading scientists to a 90% certainty that our carbon emissions are accelerating global warming.
No it is not too complicated or impossible to show that man-made carbon emissions are causing global warming/climate change, whatever.

This is a clear cop-out.

BTW, if a majority in Congress can be convinced that Saddam had huge stockpiles of WMD and was going to use them on the US shortly, scientists can be lies to, and believe it, as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 PM

It all boils down to one thing.

Statistics that are not only self-contradictory, but are proven wrong as future estimates do not come to fruition.

While statisics are a science unto themselves, they do not participate in the scientific method.

For something as serious (and potentially costly) as human-created/accelorated global climate change, the sientific method MUS be utilized, and that involved repeatable tests being developed and run, and the results/testing peer reviewed.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM

I gave you peer-reviewed evidence earlier and you ignored that because it wasn't in a laboratory. Then I explained that you can't fit the entire earth into a laboratory and you asked for something peer reviewed. You are setting impossible conditions. There is sufficient evidence to convince the world's leading scientists to a 90% degree of certainty. There is peer-reviewed evidence. Every internationally recognized professional science organization in the world backs global warming.

Even if you wait a few decades until corn production in South Africa is down 49% and a host of other changes have already occurred then we still won't be 100% sure. Those conditions will never be met. That is a recipe for ignoring the problem and frankly that is a very selfish position to take. Sure, the bulk of the population from OECD countries will be able to adapt to changing conditions but the world's poor will take it fully on the chin (again). Plus, there will be animal and plant species lost that we will never get back. Some of them have yet to be identified and could still offer medicinal hope to suffering people. It's the whole bomb shelter mentality. Who cares about the rest of the neighborhood because I have my own bomb shelter. They can all go to pot.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:

I'll put up when you do.
As soon as you provide the laboratory, I'll provide the proof. Until then we proceed based upon the best available science.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I gave you peer-reviewed evidence earlier and you ignored that because it wasn't in a laboratory. Then I explained that you can't fit the entire earth into a laboratory and you asked for something peer reviewed. You are setting impossible conditions. There is sufficient evidence to convince the world's leading scientists to a 90% degree of certainty. There is peer-reviewed evidence. Every internationally recognized professional science organization in the world backs global warming.

Even if you wait a few decades until corn production in South Africa is down 49% and a host of other changes have already occurred then we still won't be 100% sure. Those conditions will never be met. That is a recipe for ignoring the problem and frankly that is a very selfish position to take. Sure, the bulk of the population from OECD countries will be able to adapt to changing conditions but the world's poor will take it fully on the chin (again). Plus, there will be animal and plant species lost that we will never get back. Some of them have yet to be identified and could still offer medicinal hope to suffering people. It's the whole bomb shelter mentality. Who cares about the rest of the neighborhood because I have my own bomb shelter. They can all go to pot.
I asked for peer reviewed laboratory testing, not statistics.

BTW, global warming would INCREASE food production, not decrease it, as the growing seasons would become longer.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:14 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,118 times
Quote:
It all boils down to one thing.

Statistics that are not only self-contradictory, but are proven wrong as future estimates do not come to fruition.

While statisics are a science unto themselves, they do not participate in the scientific method.

For something as serious (and potentially costly) as human-created/accelorated global climate change, the sientific method MUS be utilized, and that involved repeatable tests being developed and run, and the results/testing peer reviewed.
And you don't trust measurements either.

Why people bother talking to you, I don't know.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I asked for peer reviewed laboratory testing, not statistics.

BTW, global warming would INCREASE food production, not decrease it, as the growing seasons would become longer.
1. I already explained why your question was impossible. You might as well ask for a square circle.

2. If you have read anything on climate change you would know that all of the yield projections are down. A few degrees will be enough to stop corn from developing properly and will lead to 49% lower yields in South Africa. You can't always move crops further north either. The Canadian mid-west may not have the same soil conditions as the U.S. mid-west.

I suppose that National Geographic is considered a "liberal" magazine but nevertheless:
Warming May Cause Crop Failures, Food Shortages by 2030
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies