Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The companies recruit from their partner companies in the north because they usually know the latest technology and want to bring it down south where they're using older technology. Not many people believe me, but it's what my dad does for a living.

But those of us who have good, stable, well-paying jobs aren't leaving up here.

Anyway, back on topic.
Exactly, back on topic. The Confederate Flag is, if nothing else, a colorful icon of our unique history as a region and an expression of pride in the same. Not one in a thousand associate it with slavery, racist ideology, or a desrire to secede. Hell, far as that goes, Southerners have always been the bunch serving disporotionately in the United States armed forces. And anyone who connects Nazi and Confederate philosphy together is, at best, a damfool.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Quote:
^^We just find it annoying you guys have another flag that usually represents something negative. The flag is all over the south. How can we have an obsession with it when we don't have it? You guys tend to turn things onto us for some reason.
First, not all of us are guys. Im a girl. Get it right.

Second, we just really dont care that you find it annoying. It represents something negative to YOU. Its not negative to alot of us. And whatever representation, its ours. It belongs to the South.

Leave it alone.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I disagree with you on that one. I don't see any difference in the Confederate Flag and the Swastika.
You don't? That is your problem. But here are several differences (with the premise being a flag representing a philosophy)

1. The Nazi policy of genocide for those races/groups deemed "sub-human." NOTHING remotely was comparable in Southern history.

2. At the time of the WBTS, slavery still existed in the Western world. And it was being struggled with in the same, as a moral question (in the American South as well). Whereas? Those enslaved in Nazi Germany were at a time when it had disappeared from said Western Civilization for almost a century...and then was brought back.

Too? Those enslaved by the nazi's were literally starved, beaten, and worked to death. Not even the severest critic of slavery as it existed in America alleges such inhumanity was commonplace. Sure, there were sadistic slaveowners, but there were still laws in the Southern states against deliberate mistreatment and slaveowners were obligated by law and common humanitarian/Christian ethics to take care of the sick, injured and old.

3. The Confederate States of America was a constitutional republic like the United States. Nazi Germany was a dictatorship. Free speech, religion, assembly, bearing arms, etc. did not exist in the latter, and in fact, could be punishable by death if deemed to be harmful to the state.

4. Nazi Germany pursued a militaristic and agressive foriegn policy with the intention of world domination. The Confederacy only wanted to be left alone and peacefully pursue its own destiny.

5. The political principles the South fought for were deeply rooted in those set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution (which itself had largely been written by Southerners).

Does that help?

Quote:
Both born of hatred toward a race.
How, exactly -- as it was a "battle flag" -- was it brought into existence out of "hatred of a race"? What is it to be compared to as in the sense of other flags in world history being brought into existence out of "love" of another race? Whatever is meant by that. This is just sophomoric and silly.

Quote:
I think its a stubborn grasp on the part of those that still hold on to it, to show their blatant racism. I find it rather appaling when I see it whether its on someones car or in some other form.
Dad gum...I never knew I was a blatant racist until now. Thank you for pointing this out...

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-22-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
First, not all of us are guys. Im a girl. Get it right.

Second, we just really dont care that you find it annoying. It represents something negative to YOU. Its not negative to alot of us. And whatever representation, its ours. It belongs to the South.

Leave it alone.

And we don't care that we call girls "you guys" either

Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times
So these Liberals are in a tiff over Southerners flying the Confederate flag, because some have misused it to advance racist causes, yet they are the ones who didn't want an amendment to burn Old Glory.

Interesting.

As an aside, I don't fly a Confederate flag because people up here in Buffalo are very closed minded, but I love what the flag represents, and I have 2 inside my house. Great flag!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
^^We just find it annoying you guys have another flag that usually represents something negative. The flag is all over the south. How can we have an obsession with it when we don't have it? You guys tend to turn things onto us for some reason.
^^That part says it all right there.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 PM

141 posts, read 287,250 times
i find the flag to be somewhat of a silly symbol, but not everyone that flies it is a racist. god knows u dont need a flag to be a racist, and that applies to whites AND blacks.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:28 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,138 times
I for one hate it. Coming from up north to virginia, I see it all the time. Richmond has it bad

Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 PM

296 posts, read 644,447 times
Some people fly it as a lifestyle thing also, Hard working, blue collar, beer drinking, southern rock and country music fan, outdoorsman, etc.. nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
2. At the time of the WBTS, slavery still existed in the Western world. And it was being struggled with in the same, as a moral question (in the American South as well). Whereas? Those enslaved in Nazi Germany were at a time when it had disappeared from said Western Civilization for almost a century...and then was brought back.
Although I agree with much of what you said this part isn't really correct.

By 1860 most of the Western world had abandoned or banned slavery. The main exceptions were Brazil and Russia. Russia would officially emancipate before the US "Emancipation Proclamation." The only places in the Western world to have slavery by the time of the EP were Brazil and a few colonies of European nations.

Also I loathe the comparison of any disagreeable thing to Nazism, but that doesn't mean I think the Confederacy was a-okay. The Union wasn't a-okay either. Both were based in highly racist notions, but I would say that on balance the Confederacy was worse. Although Australia was maybe worse than either of them and I'm not sure the Australian flag is very upsetting to anyone.

Still rightly or wrongly the Confederate battle flag is hurtful to many people. It is also really emblematic of a failure that only lasted a few years of Southern history. The Union flag as it stood from July 4, 1851 to July 3, 1858 might work. It flew in the South longer than the Confederacy lasted and no Southern states were added after 1858. (Unless you count Oklahoma as part of the South.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies