Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 PM

295 posts, read 320,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I lived in the south for a long time. I never really saw the flag all that much. And they aren't still fighting the Civil War.

I really don't know where all this nonsense comes from about the South.

It's kinda like southerners thinking all northerners are rude and it snows 8 months a year. Makes no sense.
You have made my point, the Confederate flag issue is over rated and is only made an issue of by those seeking attention or causing trouble such as the NAACP has done by declaring a boycott of South Carolina and the college sports teams boycott Mississippi.

I have yet to this day see a Confederate flag kill a Black American in the South but I have heard guns in the hands of Blacks in the South have out done even the Klan in murders!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
What I can't stand is when I see people up North flying this, like it represents something noble. It represents a country - the CSA - that wanted to preserve slavery as an institution. And even to extend it into new lands. Blather on all you want about states' rights and Southern way of life but in the end, the war was about the freedom to extend slavery into new territories. If Lincoln had agreed to that, the South would have been perfectly happy to stay in the Union.

The CSA is not the South. The South does not need a CSA flag to proudly represent itself. Find a new symbol.

You are the one that are obsessing. I am not an American but I thought it was your right as an American to fly any damn flag you please. If you like Seattle Mariners you might fly that flag. If you are Irish American you might fly the Irish flag, if you are from Oregon, you might fly the Oregon State Flag. And if you are from the South, you fly the stars and bars. So What?
I seriously think that Northerners hate the southern unity and how they all see each others as "family" almost. I have never met so many proud people in my life, blacks and whites, and I like it. And people from the rest of the country just can't stand that.
I mean, why else are there so many threads like this where southerners have to defend them-self and their culture all the time? It just got to be some kind of jealousy, not that they would admit to it.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You are the one that are obsessing. I am not an American but I thought it was your right as an American to fly any damn flag you please. If you like Seattle Mariners you might fly that flag. If you are Irish American you might fly the Irish flag, if you are from Oregon, you might fly the Oregon State Flag. And if you are from the South, you fly the stars and bars. So What?
I seriously think that Northerners hate the southern unity and how they all see each others as "family" almost. I have never met so many proud people in my life, blacks and whites, and I like it. And people from the rest of the country just can't stand that.
I mean, why else are there so many threads like this where southerners have to defend them-self and their culture all the time? It just got to be some kind of jealousy, not that they would admit to it.
There may be some jealousy. But northerners who accuse southerners of not being able to accept the fact that the war is over and that they lost are, in fact, the ones who cannot let go of Reconstruction--the period of time after the Civil War when the victorious north put the South under its boot. They want to keep the South in that abased position and resent the fact that southerners will not continue to live and act as a defeated people. To a large extent the Confederate flag is a symbol of defiance rather than of racism.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Agree! WOnder if the people who argue against the CSA Battle flag or the Stainless Banner argue as hard against the Mexican flag flying like this one?
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...bello-flag.htm

Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 758 times
It is quite disingenuous of these southern white people to continue repeating that tired old mantra "It, the flag represents southern pride" What it represents is racism, division, and oppression and a history of losing a catastrophic war. Also why is it they never use the original state flag from that time period? That would be more representative of their state/southern pride. Just a thought

Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
And yet you NEVER see them burning the american flag or desecrating it. Only left wingers did that, and then they only stopped once 9/11 came along and they faced serious personal injury if they continued doing it.
Now wait for the left wingers to infiltrate tea parties and to burn a US flag. I probably shouldn't have given them the idea. But if you see them doing it, stop them and identify the fascist little cowards. Get their license numbers, find out their true political affiliations. Find out who's putting them up to it.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
LOL it's not like it's a hot topic in the north. I don't think I ever heard someone bringing that up. It's the south that can't seem to get over the Civil war and feel the need to use the same flag after 150 years.
Well Rachael, I guess where some people live it's hard to put a big symbol of high taxes on their flag. That's your tradition, right?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Agree! WOnder if the people who argue against the CSA Battle flag or the Stainless Banner argue as hard against the Mexican flag flying like this one?
U.S. flag flying upside down and below Mexican flag-Truth!
Man, you summed it up but truthfully that is how all who come this country feel!
I work in the construction trade and my God I feel as though I am the minority in my own damn country but what bothers me most, is what you have shown, they are proud of Honduras, Mexico, etc. but why aren't you building homes in your own damn country???

GREAT POST!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowers81 View Post
It is quite disingenuous of these southern white people to continue repeating that tired old mantra "It, the flag represents southern pride" What it represents is racism, division, and oppression and a history of losing a catastrophic war. Also why is it they never use the original state flag from that time period? That would be more representative of their state/southern pride. Just a thought

The state of Mississippi does! Their stae flag was adopted in 1894 and I am sure there was no racial intentions either but those seeking to change flags are those seeking to promote their own agenda and whatever it stands for!
When the state flag of Mississippi was designed there was not one mention about the Confederacy but the rebel emblem was described as a Union symbol representing Mississippi joining the Union, so how would that be racist?

I do agree, the war is over and we are one nation in a rapid decline because of the wealthy politicians who only care that they have a HOUSE, A PAY CHECK, HEALTH CARE, AND THAT THEIR SPOILED BRAT CHILDREN CAN GO THE BEST COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES!!!

Now, I fly that Confederate flag in HONOR because Uncle Sam cannot stomach it but we will never forget our fallen southern Confederate soldiers either.

They were WHITE, BLACK ,NATIVE AMERICAN, AND MEXICAN TOO!!!

Flags don't hate, people do! Now that is a fact of life!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 PM

180 posts, read 188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
U.S. flag flying upside down and below Mexican flag-Truth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
Man, you summed it up but truthfully that is how all who come this country feel!
I work in the construction trade and my God I feel as though I am the minority in my own damn country but what bothers me most, is what you have shown, they are proud of Honduras, Mexico, etc. but why aren't you building homes in your own damn country???

GREAT POST!
my54ford, what you should be asking is why are people who are in favor of flying the foreign confederate battle flag..so opposed to the anyone (other than themselves) flying a flag associated with any nation other than America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies