Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Back in July, remember obama refused to put out his mid-summer budget revision, along with the "document dump" on a Friday can lead one to the only logical conclusion - they know the stimulus failed to do what they promised. In addition, the admission that they were "off" by $2 TRILLION is stunning.
Then again, you are very easily stunned. Reading just about any right-wing propaganda rag seems to do the trick. Meanwhile, administrations do not have a history of releasing their initial mid-year economic review in July. W's first, for example, was released on August 22nd. Clinton's first was released on September 1st. Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.

And just as they were in January, the administration's mid-year numbers are in the same range as everybody else's. The downward momentum of the collapse carried deeper and further into the new year than most analysts had thought it would. A good part of it is in fact still with us. This documents only the remarkable extent of the screw-up that Republicans let loose into the world economy and the steepness of the challenge that anyone who came after W would have had in dealing with it.

Last edited by saganista; 08-27-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Then don't. Either one is appropriate.
No, grasshopper, "could of" is always flat out WRONG!!! The error is typical of people who are more accustomed to the spoken word (like watching FOX News) than the written word (like reading scholarly papers).

Last edited by saganista; 08-27-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I've been wondering where the rest of the stimulus money is going to be used. It's not easy to find out, though I did learn that about $4.1B went to ACORN...
You learned that where, exactly???

I wonder if you have any understanding at all (since a lot of people seem not to) of the difference between money that "went to ACORN" and money that went to funding federally-mandated urban programs, the contracts for which ACORN might bid on (given its established expertise and experience) along with many other similar organizations.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
And just as they were in January, the administration's mid-year numbers are in the same range as everybody else's.
Oh my.... I'm getting dizzy over here.

Obama and his "uniquely qualified" team were approx 30% off in their estimations. CBO, Blue Chip Eco and virtually everybody else told them they were using too "rosy" numbers - but did they listen? Of course not.

It is truly illustrative of how easily obama supporters (you) swallow a $9 trillion deficit when you were practically choking on Bush's $500 Billion deficit.

What does that say about their honesty, integrity and intelligence?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
No, grasshopper, "could of" is always flat out WRONG!!!
Oh, who really cares?

Is that all you got?

Actually, I thought I wrote "could have" - sometimes the fingers get ahead of the brain or vice versa. Does it really matter?

Sometimes I'll even transpose "their" for "there" or "right" for "write" - it's not that I don't know the difference, as you must be aware, sometimes lack of time and attention is the cause.

No BFD, unless you are trying to deflect from the absolute disaster of obamanomics.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:27 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Then again, you are very easily stunned. Reading just about any right-wing propaganda rag seems to do the trick. Meanwhile, administrations do not have a history of releasing their initial mid-year economic review in July. W's first, for example, was released on August 22nd. Clinton's first was released on September 1st. Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.

And just as they were in January, the administration's mid-year numbers are in the same range as everybody else's. The downward momentum of the collapse carried deeper and further into the new year than most analysts had thought it would. A good part of it is in fact still with us. This documents only the remarkable extent of the screw-up that Republicans let loose into the world economy and the steepness of the challenge that anyone who came after W would have had in dealing with it.
are you telling me that the democratic congress was so inept that they were unable to do ANYTHING in the last 2 and 1/2 years to get our country back on track? we still have negative GDP growth and we still have rising unemployment, even with all the bailouts and the borrowed stimulus money.....

the good news is that a judge has ruled that the federal reserve is now going to have to tell where the money went. that would be a real win for transparency for a change!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:

I wonder if you have any understanding at all (since a lot of people seem not to) of the difference between money that "went to ACORN" and money that went to funding federally-mandated urban programs, the contracts for which ACORN might bid on (given its established expertise and experience) along with many other similar organizations.
I wonder if you are the only one who understands everything.

So, whether it's money that went to ACORN as a result of a bid, or just an outright urban grant, it doesn't really matter, does it? They got a hefty sum from the stimulus package - probably will be used for more community organizing and mobilizing of the base.

From an interview back in Jan before the bill was passed:
House Republican Leader John Boehner issued a statement over the weekend noting that the stimulus bill wending its way through Congress provides $4.19 billion for "neighborhood stabilization activities."

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., called it a "payoff" for groups' political activities in the last election. ACORN generally supports Democratic candidates and actively backed President Obama last year.

"It's just a long list of spending items," Vitter said. "It's line after line after line of favorite liberal spending programs..." and not a jobs bill at all.

Last edited by swbtoo; 08-28-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
No, grasshopper, "could of" is always flat out WRONG!!! The error is typical of people who are more accustomed to the spoken word (like watching FOX News) than the written word (like reading scholarly papers).
LOL- Scholarly papers..... Tell me what do you consider to be a scholarly paper?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I wonder if you are the only one who understands everything.
Did you not read the last post-- they read "Scholarly papers".

Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Did you not read the last post-- they read "Scholarly papers".
LOL...so THAT'S it. BTW, I understand Obama's radical friends and associates wrote a lot of "scholarly" papers in their past lives. I probably used them to wrap fish, instead of reading them. No wonder I'm not so shmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies