Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,727,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're seeking a privilege not a right. Licenses grant privileges.
Not as long as you believe in the ninth amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You people aren't getting it, are you? Even if you INSIST it's not a right, the fact that heteros can easily get married shows inequality...yes? I mean, how hard is it to understand this? It also shows that in & of itself, marriage is basically a right for heteros. If it was not a RIGHT, it would be much more difficult to get married.
I'm with you. I think their semantical arguments are silly distractions. I seriously doubt the majority of people votes on the issue based on whether they consider marriage to be a right or a privilege.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,585,553 times
Quote:
Um, hate to break it to you, but homosexuality has been around for a loooooooong time & I see no decline in the amount of babies being popped out due to homosexuals being allowed to live together or have relationships. But if it makes you feel warm & fuzzy to fall back on that lame excuse, you go right ahead.
Discounting the hispanic population that is helping our numbers, America is currently not making enough babies to maintain our culture. You need to maintain 2.11 kids per couple to maintain equal numbers, with the hispanic population we are meeting that, if you discount their contribution we are only at 1.6 kids per couple.

Europe is currently below 1.4 kids per couple. Muslims on the other hand are at something like 8+ kids per couple, and a small population of hispanics (compared to our overall population) is raising our numbers by over a half point. What do these two cultures have in common, a strong religious belief that homosexuality is wrong. Their culture is growing, ours is shrinking. Pretty much tells me homosexuality is a bad plan purly in terms of maintain our cultures.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, but you see, according to you, you weren't just "allowed" to run out & get hitched. You had to go thru the oh so painful & debilitating procedure of getting a license & a blood test. Phew, that IS a process just to be able to get married. How awful for you! But wait.....to me, that is no hardship. To me, that shows that you still have a right to get married. If it were a privilege, SURELY it would be MUCH more difficult to proclaim to the world that you're married then just going out & getting a license, wouldn't you agree? After all, even getting a driver's license you have to go thru classes plus a written AND driving test.
You don't get the fact that I could have been told no if for some reason I didn't meet the requirements of the state. The fact that my normal relationship (yes, I said normal) meets the expectations of the state far easier than your relationship had nothing to do with the state's requirements.

Again, you want change, run for office and get the change. Just remember there are folks like me who will be voting to keep things the same.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,046,270 times
A liberal compass points magnetic north while a conservative compass points true north. Magnetic north is ever-ever changing, depending on who's rights are percieved to be violated today. True north is solid as a rock. The only solid choice, in my view, is to leave marriage between one man and one woman, and give homosexuals civil unions. Whose marriage rights will be violated next? Marriage should not be a rolling definition based on the hurt feelings of a particular group.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 08-17-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Our laws aren't based on religion or the Bible - or at least they're not supposed to be.

How does it destroy the social fabric or harm our rate of reproduction? You can't turn homosexuals into heterosexuals by banning same-sex marriage. Same-sex couples who want to have kids will find a way to do it, just as they always have.
Really? I remember having laws on the books that are from the bible:

Murder is illegal, stealing is illegal, adultery use to be illegal probably should still be.

Maybe if we followed the rules that God gave us instead of trying to find loop holes in them we would have a better society.

As to harming society, allowing same sex marriage sets a precedence for deviant behavior. I mean think about it, if you can argue that you should be allowed to marry the same sex, why couldn't someone argue that they be allowed to marry an animal, or an inanimate object, or multiple partners, or a child?

Things are the way they are for a reason, because it is natural:

One man, one woman, one marriage until death does them part. I won't get into divorce right now, this isn't the right thread for that.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,424,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Discounting the hispanic population that is helping our numbers, America is currently not making enough babies to maintain our culture. You need to maintain 2.11 kids per couple to maintain equal numbers, with the hispanic population we are meeting that, if you discount their contribution we are only at 1.6 kids per couple.

Europe is currently below 1.4 kids per couple. Muslims on the other hand are at something like 8+ kids per couple, and a small population of hispanics (compared to our overall population) is raising our numbers by over a half point. What do these two cultures have in common, a strong religious belief that homosexuality is wrong. Their culture is growing, ours is shrinking. Pretty much tells me homosexuality is a bad plan purly in terms of maintain our cultures.
WOW! I am a Christian Conservative and even I have never heard that argument before. So let me understand this other then Muslims and Hispanics the rest of us are slacking in the baby making department? Did you ever think that it has anything to do with how expensive it is to raise a child? I have two and would have loved to have more and could do it financially but it would make it harder on my husband and I so we decided not to have anymore. I don't believe by allowing gays to marry will cause an increase or decrease in the population, that is just silly. I respect your views I just think this reason is way off.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,727,711 times
Quote:

You're amusing. So, a muslim can't be "Europe". And America is not making enough babies to maintain its culture (whatever that might be, can't wait to learn about it).

How many babies have you "made"? And what has that got to do with this thread?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:06 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,384,290 times
Quote:
You people aren't getting it, are you? Even if you INSIST it's not a right, the fact that heteros can easily get married shows inequality...yes? I mean, how hard is it to understand this? It also shows that in & of itself, marriage is basically a right for heteros. If it was not a RIGHT, it would be much more difficult to get married.
Not quite. Privileges are subject to the whims of the state. Rights aren't, legally. You should be going about ending the requirement of a license for marriage in the first place.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,585,845 times
Quote:
The fact that my normal relationship (yes, I said normal) meets the expectations of the state far easier than your relationship had nothing to do with the state's requirements.
Why are you assuming that she's gay just because she's in favor of same-sex marriage? There are millions of heterosexuals who are in favor of same-sex marriage.

And same-sex relationships may be in the minority, but they are certainly normal. They've existed for as long as history has been recorded, and the consensus among doctors and scientists is that it is not due to a mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies