Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

If you could only have three sources for politically-related information and/or opinion, who (people's names) would those 3 sources be?

It does not have to be just the names of media people. If you think someone else is a good source of info, feel free to name them.

Note: You can't say, for example, The NY Times. You'd have to pick someone who writes for the NY Times. You can't say, for example, Fox News, you have to pick someone who works for Fox News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you could only have three sources for politically-related information and/or opinion, who (people's names) would those 3 sources be?

It does not have to be just the names of media people. If you think someone else is a good source of info, feel free to name them.

Note: You can't say, for example, The NY Times. You'd have to pick someone who writes for the NY Times. You can't say, for example, Fox News, you have to pick someone who works for Fox News.
Can I say most writers for "The Economist"?

Also add some of my collegues in my office who are highly educated and use rational thinking.

One more would be My father. He teaches economics around the globe.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
My bartender...

615 posts, read 1,693,419 times
Noone in the context of what you are talking about. While there are people that don't "lie", anyone trying to make a point about what they believe to be right or the correct way is going to have a slant. Sometimes it is blatent and sometimes it is a matter of ommision or twisting of facts.

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Hmmmm 3 people? I don't know I don't really talk politics that much outside of this forum. I don't really rely on any media sources because I feel that most (if not all) add their own views to the facts, which is okay. I listen to Michael Baisden and his take on politics but mostly for amusement.

I guess 1 would be my older brother. He's a registered Democrat but has voted Republican in the last 3 elections (don't know why he won't just register as a Republican and call it a day) and we always go back and forth about politics; but he's been pretty reliable and unbiased when it comes to facts.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I don't trust any media source to tell me the 'truth'. Only the truth as they see it.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
1. It's hard to pick a TV/radio person as most are just talking heads fed lines or have a biased ratings-based agenda. I'd have to go with Wolf Blizter as the most fact based/least biased and covering a broad spectrum of topics.

2. David Frum - former Bush economic speech writer - I don't always agree with his conclusions but he makes reasoned arguments & I can agree with him on the facts. (too many right wing commentators live in alternate universe where we can't even agree on facts). David gets his level head from his mum - a legendary Canadian journalist.

3. Jon Stewart (The Daily Show) - for a quick & humorous summary - he does mock Democrats and Obama but Republicans' are such an easy and blatant target.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I believe that most major news sources tell the "truth" as they see it. But it seems to me to usually be "incomplete truth". There's generally more to the story. I don't rely on any one person, or even on three sources. I try to read as many versions of the "truth" as I can find, and identify the consistencies across the board. Those consistencies generally give me a good starting point for the "truth". And even then, I know that my reading of the "truth" itself is biased by my own opinions and experiences, as is everyone else's.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
My three sources....Ears, eyes, nose. They've never lied to me yet. And I've heard, seen and smelled alot of crap out of D.C. for quite some time now.

But to be fair, the same is true at the state and local level also......

Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Michael Savage, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh in that order.

This ought to fire up the liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies