Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread in another direction, but you say nationalist like it's a bad word. What is nationalism...it's an ideology, a sentiment, a form of culture, or a social movement that focuses on the nation. A little nationalism goes a long way, without it we fall apart as a country.
A little nationalism, yes. I subscribe to the "borders, language, culture" mantra of Dr. Savage. I just do not feel this country requires a "pledge" like existed in the Third Reich. We already use the anthem at every sports event in the country. That's when I feel nationalism and patriotism work together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I am losing my freedom to keep the money that I work hard to make.
Maybe you can find a country that doesn't tax your income...

Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
A little nationalism, yes. I subscribe to the "borders, language, culture" mantra of Dr. Savage. I just do not feel this country requires a "pledge" like existed in the Third Reich. We already use the anthem at every sports event in the country. That's when I feel nationalism and patriotism work together.
And since 9/11, 'God Bless America' is played during every 7th inning stretch in MLB. I used to love that song, but as a Dodgers season ticket holder I am so sick of it. It used to be special, now it feels forced.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
And since 9/11, 'God Bless America' is played during every 7th inning stretch in MLB. I used to love that song, but as a Dodgers season ticket holder I am so sick of it. It used to be special, now it feels forced.
This I agree with. We should feel inspired to add songs that declare freedom and not feel forced to, and we shouldn't feel compelled to sing songs about allegiance.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The pledge is still said in schools. And many Americans attended school in other countries. How many years was BO schooled out of this country? Not many.

But, anyway, the most fervent pledgers that I have seen have been those saying the pledge as they were becoming citizens. You know, foreigners. Have you ever seen any swearing in ceremonies?

I am always proud when saying the pledge, BTW.
It has that effect on me as well.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread in another direction, but you say nationalist like it's a bad word. What is nationalism...it's an ideology, a sentiment, a form of culture, or a social movement that focuses on the nation. A little nationalism goes a long way, without it we fall apart as a country.
Wow, someone actually said it.. Bravo dockside.. Nationalism helps hold the fabric of society together. I've really noticed over the years that there are certain "values" that are fading away. Nationalism is most of those values.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Remember 40 years ago when the school day was started with the Pledge of Allegiance? I always thought we said the Pledge because we were proud to be American.
Most people said the pledge because they were forced to. As far as being proud to be an American, that makes as much sense as to be proud that your great-grandfather won the lottery.

Quote:
The more people come into our country, the more they want to change it into where they came from. I thought they wanted to be here because of what America is.
What America "is" is what the people inhabiting it decide to make of it, for better or worse.

Quote:
Now, here comes Obama, who wasn't raised in America
Obama was "raised in America" for 16 of 18 years.

Quote:
I wonder, if he had been brought up here when he was a little boy, instead of attending Muslim schools and being raised in that culture, would he still want to make all of the changes to our country that he claims we need to make?
Obama was "raised in America" for 16 of 18 years.

Quote:
Perhaps he would then know that we never Thave nor do we now need the government doing our thinking for us.
Right. We need Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck thinking for us.

Seriously, I'm more anti-government on a bad day than you imbeciles could ever dream of being, and even I laugh at you.

Quote:
I hope that Obama and everyone that agrees with him, is beginning to realize how strong and determined the American people are when it comes to loosing any of our freedoms.
If that were true, the war-mongering, Constitution-shredding piece of scum from Texas would've been impeached in 2002, rather than re-elected in 2004.

Quote:
he did attend school in another country.
GoodModerator cut: no personal attacks! That's a plus in my book.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-18-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
Wow, someone actually said it.. Bravo dockside.. Nationalism helps hold the fabric of society together. I've really noticed over the years that there are certain "values" that are fading away. Nationalism is most of those values.
Nationalism is a derivation of pride from the fact that your mother squirted you out on one side of an imaginary line on the globe rather than another. It's a drug for people who find thought difficult.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Back when I was a kid, America was the good guy, we didn't attack first and we didn't torture.
When was this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies