Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Yup...

Also doesnt Texas have one of the highest dropout rates in the country + worst school systems.

Maybe this is part of the problem with the educational system in Texas. The board of ed is more concerned with Religion then the basic foundation for a solid education.
We might have better numbers without the illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
So when the holocaust is taught to kids you should tell them that the prinicpals the Jews suffered through the holocaust for was over a few chapters in a book of fiction?
Same thing with the Crusades, I might add. My daughter will be raised with notion that everyone has different beliefs - some are just more militant about those beliefs. Though, I will add that the school system will not be the only source of knowledge for my child.

Though my original post referring to the Bible as fictional literature was made more.. in jest, I honestly don't see a problem with a classes dedicated towards discussion and debate in dealing with World Religions. Christianity included. In fact, learning as much as possible is a good thing.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
So when the holocaust is taught to kids you should tell them that the prinicpals the Jews suffered through the holocaust for was over a few chapters in a book of fiction?
What does the atrocities of the Holocaust have to do with the teaching of religion in school?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Texas is a state ran by goofballs, but to be fair, there are some good things about it:

* Jim Hightower.

* Quannah Parker.

* LBJ (not real good, but close enuff)

* Dandy Don Meredith (prototypical QB with a laser arm and the knees of a 74 year-old retired concrete worker)

* Cowboy Cheerleaders.

* Larry McMurtry.

* Kenny Wayne Sheppard.

* Sheila Jackson Lee- who proves it is NOT necessay to be an idiot to hold elective office in modern Texas, it is only highly recommended.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-19-2009 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
I'd love to see the reactions of Christians if LeVeyan Satanists asked for their beliefs to be taught in school as well.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I'd love to see the reactions of Christians if LeVeyan Satanists asked for their beliefs to be taught in school as well.
As long as they wear cowboy hats and listen to Toby Keith, they may stand a chance.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
More evolved beings do not need a book and far fetched stories to dictate how to behave and treat fellow humans and other creatures of the earth. The religious writings were there for very ignorant people to use as a guide as in early times there was an abundance of ignorance in all aspects of life. The wiser beings realized that rules would keep the more ignorant in line and a dash of fear wouldn't hurt the cause while they were at it. I don't deny that nowadays there are intelligent people that believe in a supreme entity, but intelligent people very often filter the nonsense, fairy tale aspect and hypocrisy out of the equation and are seldom dogmatic concerning religion. Spirituality is not necessarily synonymous with being religious and vice versa. Your reality is not everybody else's reality and your assuming that yours is the only way, shows a lack of genuine understanding of the universe.
More evolved beings...evolved into what?? lack of understanding of the universe?? but I guess you understand the universe..so maybe you can enlighten all of us with your wisdom..I don't believe that everyone has to share the same view or that mine is the only way...just curious what someone who is not spiritual believes in..

Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
More evolved beings...evolved into what?? lack of understanding of the universe?? but I guess you understand the universe..so maybe you can enlighten all of us with your wisdom..I don't believe that everyone has to share the same view or that mine is the only way...just curious what someone who is not spiritual believes in..
"Well..I guess for you its kinda like sex without ever reaching an orgasm....you have no purpose, nothing to believe in, no reason to have any moral basis at all..so like I said..its pretty sad..and no..those of us who are spiritual do not need to make up fantasies as to why we are here and what our purpose is..we already know."

You stated that without religion, a person had "no purpose" or "moral basis."
If that is not being arrogant on your part as far as yours being the enlightened way, than I don't know what is. Where did I state that I was non spiritual? I clearly said in my post that religion and spirituality were not synonomous. Your last line is a bit odd as you state that you do not have to make up fantasies to know what your purpose is and yet organized and dogmatic religion is full of them, so....the question really is, do you consider yourself spiritual or religious or do you think that you can be both?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post

I was going to post the same thing....

Old 08-23-2009, 07:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
And I believe that evolution is a "fantasy", so there we are.

Yes dear but you see, REALITY trumps your beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies