Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Would you be OK with an elective on Koran history?

Sure so long as it was an elective it would be fine with me. I am a Christian but I tell my children about other religions and explain those beliefs the best I can. I have friends that are Jewish, Muslim, Buddhists, Christian and Hindu we all have children and all those children know about their friends beliefs and customs. There is nothing wrong with that. I love talking to people about their beliefs.

Last edited by Cyber Queen; 08-17-2009 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,129,622 times
What year is this? Considering that Jesus Christ was the most influential person in history and the huge impact religion has had on the world??

Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Holy Fktards Batman --- the course is an elective!

What are you people argueing about? An elective means that they may choose this course or they may choose another - it is entirely up to the student. There is no force, no co-ersion and no teaching of fables as fact. It is a bible course which to me is no different then taking a class on ancient Greece and Rome. After all, I survived without suddenly feeling the need to worship Zeus and Athena

Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ask a non christian in a Texas high school.
I'm guessing nobody would want ME to teach bible class...can't wait to hear how some of the non believing teachers go about this! HAHA! It's going to bite someone in the @ss.
This Jewish Texan has no problem with it. Sorry to burst your little bubble. LIke it or not, the Judeo-Christian foundation of this country is what made this country great.

Or should we be teaching the Quran instead? Or just pretending religion doesn;t exist at all and really, it didn't have anything to do with this country anyways?

God bless Texas.

http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/swja/jpgs/lowenberg-small.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The Bill just says that high schools must offer a Bible class as an elective if 15 students sign up for it. It's no different than studying Marxism - you don't have to agree with the philosophy to study it. Likewise you can study evolution without agreeing with it.
I'd be more than happy to teach a class on bible history and/or influence of the bible on gov't etc. I think the class is best taught by someone who doesn't believe in the bible as the word of a god.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM

689 posts, read 742,954 times
Texas kicks a$$! I'm not particularly referring to the whole teaching the bible in school thing. I'm referring to the "We're F-ing Texas...Mother Bichez!" attitude. I'd move there if I could.

1,862 posts, read 2,385,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
In fairness, the class is apparently not supposed to be about Christianity or about encouraging kids to be Christian - but more about the history of the Bible.

Also, it's only an elective.
Then the course should include philosophies and books from other major beliefs. Teaching only the Bible is an endorsement.

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I'd be more than happy to teach a class on bible history and/or influence of the bible on gov't etc. I think the class is best taught by someone who doesn't believe in the bible as the word of a god.
How can you teach about something you do not know about?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Texas is #48 in terms of literacy.

Billy Clyde Jr and Daisy Mae will just color in the pictures of Jesus' beard.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM

539 posts, read 700,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Religion isn't a theory, it's a fantasy..If one chooses to believe it, that's fine, but fantasies shouldn't be required teaching. Especially with there are SO MANY versions of said fantasy.

God's existence is not dependent on your belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies