Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times

Advertisements

Actually, learning about the bible and reading it is a big reason why I am an atheist. If it's an objective class, where the students aren't just fed the happy parts and told that the whole thing is true, but learn about the history and influences as well, then I am OK with it as objective information; facts are facts. But I worry about Christian teachers with an agenda teaching the bible as pure truth.

But I think it should be a class that teaches about other religious texts as well, or those classes should also be required like this in order to be fair and not push a particular religious institution on kids using tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
The issue is that the tax payer funded school only offers a class for one religion and by not offering classes that teach about other beliefs, becomes an endorsement of that one religion.... Christianity.

So, if a certain number of kids want a class on Islam or Judaism... will the school have to offer it?
That's a very good point. What if a child wants to study the Koran, is that an option as well, or how about Scientology? It all boils down to state funding for religious indoctrination, plain and simple. If your child wants to take a course on "The Bible" so badly, how about pay for it out of your own pocket when they go to college, that way tax dollars aren't supporting religion.

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That poster hates Texas. He/she has said that TX is #48 in literacy rate on threads in the past. When asked for a source, he/she provided a link to a comment made by an anonymous person (with no source to back it up) on another internet forum.

It's below average, no doubt, but I don't think it's that low.

These classes will be offered in high schools. I attended public high school in Texas and you know what? Coloring was not a part of the curriculum. Reading was. Imagine that.
League of Womens Voters was the source that I provided, fyi.

And I don't hate Texas.

Just stupidity.

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I would say Amen!

And maybe I need to consider moving to Texas

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
It's not our fault all the illegals and the children of illegals clogging our schools can't read.
Bingo. This is the main reason TX's literacy rate is low (though I don't think it's as low as Mr./Mrs. Texas Hater says it is).

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Barf.
Great.
Fn texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Definitely a step in the right direction! All we need to do now is outlaw science, reinstate slavery and overturn Roe vs Wade. It is nice to see people embracing the future!
Lol, funny.
Two thumbs up.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
You can "read" the Bible but not know what you are reading. I can read the Koran but have no sense of the real impact on people's life's since it is not what I believe. One must know the true impact the Bible has on Christians to teach it. IMO of course.
IMO, a believer would end up proselytizing, they would not be able to maintain their objectivity and that would make them an inappropriate teacher for the course.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Seems all the non-Texans are up in arms about this while the Texans are taking it in stride.

All I have to say is that you'd better think twice before moving here. We do things different in Texas and live up to the motto "A whole n'other country".

Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
We live in a secular society. PUBLIC schools CANNOT, Constitutionally, REQUIRE that a religious text be part of the curriculum for students. They CANNOT.

There will be a lawsuit, the case will make it to the Supreme Court, and the Texas law will be struck down.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
League of Womens Voters was the source that I provided, fyi.
No it wasn't.

//www.city-data.com/forum/9785066-post111.html

It wasn't a forum, actually, I was wrong. It was comments written by anonymous posters below a newspaper article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies