Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You LEAVE The Family To Save A Life?
YES! I would leave so they could get Medicaid 8 88.89%
No! I would stay and watch them die- it's the Republican way! 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,691,371 times

Advertisements

I have seen this more than once. A spouse or child gets an illness and they need medical care. But they cannot get it because they have no insurance and the employer of the working spouse probably does not offer family insurance (more and more of them are not even offering ANY insurance). So then you face the choice of stying together and watching the spouse or child DIE from no treatment or you get a divorce to get the sick spouse or child on Medicaid. This is what the "party of family values" favours! What would YOU do??

Divorcing for Medicaid / WCPN.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,171,091 times
I would sell my house/move somewhere cheaper, get rid of my car (I ride a bike for 90% of my trips now anyway) to pay for it. My first question for them is if they are actually living within their means. Move in with friends/family/cut expenses any way you can.

I am also not voting in your poll. Your ignorance is disgusting.

The article didn't mention once if they have petitioned non-profits for money to help with the situation. The funds are there in the private sector, it is pathetic when people turn to the government first instead of looking for resources that are already there. My church regularly holds funding drives to pay for things like this.

But then again, the liberal way is to assume the government should make your life perfect. We should be able to sit around at home, do nothing and have the government pay for our every need, right? What a wonderful world, when liberals like you forget what the term 'responsibility' means.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,059,484 times
you are something else. Keep fear mongering as usual. I will give you credit that you didn't make this a race argument this time.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:39 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,992,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have seen this more than once. A spouse or child gets an illness and they need medical care. But they cannot get it because they have no insurance and the employer of the working spouse probably does not offer family insurance (more and more of them are not even offering ANY insurance). So then you face the choice of stying together and watching the spouse or child DIE from no treatment or you get a divorce to get the sick spouse or child on Medicaid. This is what the "party of family values" favours! What would YOU do??

Of course I would do just that.. the life of my child comes before anything else. Once my child is treated and recovered I could always get legally married again to my husband..

But.. let's remember.. divorces sometimes takes a lot of time and is no so easy.. so unless the divorce and application process could happen in a timely manner it may be fruitless.

Isn't it sad that that is the choice that some people may be left with because of the heartless indifference of some?

to the person that talked about cutting expenses.. you need a reality check.. even if they cut all their expenses they still wouldn't be able to afford medical treatment... most working families couldn't.. it's too costly without insurance.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:44 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,025,419 times
It's actually pretty common in most of the states I have lived. In order to qualify for many types of assistance you have to utilize all the resources you have before qualifying. Most of the recent articles around here have been about qualifying for nursing homes where one spouse divorces the other and divests themselves of all their assets to them or the kids.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,691,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's actually pretty common in most of the states I have lived. In order to qualify for many types of assistance you have to utilize all the resources you have before qualifying. Most of the recent articles around here have been about qualifying for nursing homes where one spouse divorces the other and divests themselves of all their assets to them or the kids.
It really is not worth it to get married these days. There really is no benefit in it for either party. Just live together I say. I only got married because my wife is Canadian and the Immigration Service required it for her to become a resident. Otherwise I never would have did it. That way if the spouse or kids get cancer, you can just "move out" and they can get help.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,752,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

Well I can't get married so divorce is kind of moot.

In any case, I think I'd rather take a nice drive to Canada.

There are plenty of people out there who get married for health insurance. A good acquaintance of mine is hurrying to marry her fiance because she needs health insurance badly.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,427,321 times
Typical nonsense post from you Kev.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies