Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
First of all, I feel this health care issue is being crammed down people's throats.

Why don't they just concentrate on those with pre-existing issues and those without coverage rather than hurting those who have coverage and are OK with it?

I personally think the government is trying to do too much too fast. Sometimes when this happens, details get swept under the rug and we all will lose in the long run.

I think the government should be trying to create real jobs and energize the economy and encourage companies to come here by giving them tax breaks.

I sense fear in people over this, real fear.

I am not saying we do not need health care reform but what's the hurry? I understand it would not take effect until 2013.
lol...

Too fast eh? Should we continue with the plan the GOP has been hammering at the American people over the prior eight years?

Can you spell out that plan for us? Do you have a link so we can read it and compare?

Quote:
I think the government should be trying to create real jobs and energize the economy and encourage companies to come here by giving them tax breaks.
hmm...didn't outsourcing occur during the Bush Administration's tax breaks? Tell us, how would your plan work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
If you're happy with your current coverage, you can keep it.
You are just regurgitating obama's talking points, which are wrong.

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
In a campaign to dispel alleged myths about health reform, the White House has posted a “Reality Check” on its Web site. “You can keep your own insurance,” it declares.

Obama’s promise is not just at odds with legislative proposals — it is also at odds with reality.
He is flat out lying. There is no way he can guarantee an employee can keep their current HC.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post

Why penalize people with a 2.5% fine if they do not have what the Government thinks is good insurance?
For the same reason it's illegal to go without car insurance. The people with insurance end up paying for the ones without insurance. Is that fair?

Quote:
This is the problem. What some consider medically necessary others do not. Who will decide what procedure is medically necessary?
Right now an insurance company does - a company whose sole purpose is to make profit. At least if the mean ole Government makes these decisions, we have some say through elections. I would rather that someone who wants to get re-elected make these moral decisions than someone who wants to make money.

Quote:
People are filing for bankruptcy for many reasons. Including buying houses they could not afford in the first place.
Do some research and look at the numbers. It's a moral tragedy how many family's lives are financially ruined by medical problems.

Quote:
I think there are many things that can be done right now that would improve the situation right away I don't know why they are not even talking about them.
Well, talk about them then. We're all ears...

Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
I think there are many things that can be done right now that would improve the situation right away I don't know why they are not even talking about them.
Maybe because the reality of getting things done among gigantic players is more complicated than it looks to us on the outside?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Lightbulb hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

He is flat out lying. There is no way he can guarantee an employee can keep their current HC.
lol...

There's no way you can guarantee they can keep it under the current system.

I bet We all know how to get it canceled.

Last edited by walidm; 08-18-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 11:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
For the same reason it's illegal to go without car insurance. The people with insurance end up paying for the ones without insurance. Is that fair?
No not having NO insurance but not one that the Government thinks is right, that is a very different thing.

Quote:
Right now an insurance company does - a company whose sole purpose is to make profit. At least if the mean ole Government makes these decisions, we have some say through elections. I would rather that someone who wants to get re-elected make these moral decisions than someone who wants to make money.
So I will go from being a slave to my insurance company to being a slave to the government? No thanks at least I can sue my insurance company if they screw up what do I do if the government screws up?

Quote:
Do some research and look at the numbers. It's a moral tragedy how many family's lives are financially ruined by medical problems.

I did not say it did not happen but people are acting like 90% of from medical bills and it is not.

Quote:
Well, talk about them then. We're all ears...

Laws removing the pre-ex conditions
Laws opening up state purchase boundaries
Offer portability
Offer a tax credit for those that have to pay for ins themselves
Set caps on laws suits
Force lawyers to pay all fees if they sue and lose.

This is just some of what could be done right.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Default hmm....

Quote:

People are filing for bankruptcy for many reasons. Including buying houses they could not afford in the first place.

• A recent study by Harvard University researchers found that the average out-of-pocket medical debt for those who filed for bankruptcy was $12,000. The study noted that 68 percent of those who filed for bankruptcy had health insurance. In addition, the study found that 50 percent of all bankruptcy filings were partly the result of medical expenses.9 Every 30 seconds in the United States someone files for bankruptcy in the aftermath of a serious health problem.

• A new survey shows that more than 25 percent said that housing problems resulted from medical debt, including the inability to make rent or mortgage payments and the development of bad credit ratings.10

• About 1.5 million families lose their homes to foreclosure every year due to unaffordable medical costs. 11
SOURCE (http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml - broken link)
  1. Himmelstein, D, E. Warren, D. Thorne, and S. Woolhander, “Illness and Injury as Contributors to Bankruptcy, “ Health Affairs Web Exclusive W5-63, 02 February , 2005.
  2. The Access Project. Home Sick: How Medical Debt Undermines Housing Security. Boston, MA, November 2005.
  3. Robertson, C.T., et al. “Get Sick, Get Out: The Medical Causes of Home Mortgage Foreclosures,” Health Matrix, 2008

Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Set caps on laws suits
Force lawyers to pay all fees if they sue and lose.

This is just some of what could be done right.
Quote:
We all know the statistic from the landmark 1999 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report that as many as 98,000 deaths in the United States each year result from medical errors.1

But the IOM also found that more than 90 percent of these deaths are the result of failed systems and procedures, not the negligence of physicians.
Given this finding, we need to shift our response from placing blame on individual providers or health care organizations to developing systems for improving the quality of our patient-safety practices.2
Source

1. Kohn LT, Corrigan JM, Donaldson MS, eds. To err is human: building a safer health system. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 2000.

1. Sage WM. Medical liability and patient safety. Health Aff (Millwood) 2003;22:26-36. [Free Full Text]

Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
  • A recent study by Harvard University researchers found that the average out-of-pocket medical debt for those who filed for bankruptcy was $12,000. The study noted that 68 percent of those who filed for bankruptcy had health insurance. In addition, the study found that 50 percent of all bankruptcy filings were partly the result of medical expenses.9 Every 30 seconds in the United States someone files for bankruptcy in the aftermath of a serious health problem.
  • A new survey shows that more than 25 percent said that housing problems resulted from medical debt, including the inability to make rent or mortgage payments and the development of bad credit ratings.10

• About 1.5 million families lose their homes to foreclosure every year due to unaffordable medical costs. 11
SOURCE (http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml - broken link)
  1. Himmelstein, D, E. Warren, D. Thorne, and S. Woolhander, “Illness and Injury as Contributors to Bankruptcy, “ Health Affairs Web Exclusive W5-63, 02 February , 2005.
  2. The Access Project. Home Sick: How Medical Debt Undermines Housing Security. Boston, MA, November 2005.
  3. Robertson, C.T., et al. “Get Sick, Get Out: The Medical Causes of Home Mortgage Foreclosures,” Health Matrix, 2008

Again I am not saying that it does not happen but the amount of people filing solely due to health issues is not that high. Does it contribute yes but what else caused it?

The point I am trying to make is that people lose their homes because of many things. That is not a reason to force some half baked plan through. People need to understand that ones this is done it is done and the chances of it ever getting changed are slim. I think we need reform but not the plan that is being purposed.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
So I will go from being a slave to my insurance company to being a slave to the government? No thanks at least I can sue my insurance company if they screw up what do I do if the government screws up?
You sue the government. At least do some research on how the government works before making weird claims on a message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies