Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times

Advertisements

[QUOTEI can see it now, scenario:

39yo male with new diagnosis of prostate cancer
needs surgery and chemo
submits 'application' for said treatment
response time 3 months
response verbage 'your application has been denied, see below for reason so you can resubmit'
reason given...'no reason given' try and try again
6 months later said male finds out that he is terminal due to not having needed surgery in time. now cancer has spread.
outcome: said patient will be given 'end of life' counseling NO PROBLEM
[/quote]

And what would be the CHANGE????? Private insurance companies routinely do that now (submit, get denied, re-submit, get denied, on and on) until the person's life is hanging on a thread. Then all of a sudden, mysteriously, as the patient is ready to die, medical procedures are approved and heroic measures are taken. By that time, end-of-life is inevitable no matter what medical procedure opens up and becomes available. I don't see how government involvement could be any worse.

I mean, when you're dealing with the dregs of society (aka private insurance companies) as in the current system, a change could only cause improvement. That's at least, how I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
So what's an acceptable body count while the governments health care plan has "the bugs worked out" and when exactly is the learning curve over?
Err...the complaint about the clunker program isn't that the car deal doesn't happen (analogous to the medical procedure in the OP's argument), but that the paperwork isn't processed quickly.

So, the body count would be zero in this analogy. Zero bodies. In this analogy (the OP's, not mine), the doctor's will complain about not being quickly reimbursed for the procedures they performed in a timely manner.

Fear-mongering can't work on this. Not this time. The learning curve should never end. That's how we got into this situation in the first place. We have failed as a country to learn and make improvements, and keep learning, and make improvements, and so on and so on...

Last edited by Art123; 08-18-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Err...the complaint about the clunker program isn't that the car deal doesn't happen (analogous to the medical procedure in the OP's argument), but that the paperwork isn't processed quickly.

So, the body count would be zero in this analogy. Zero bodies. In this analogy (the OP's, not mine), the doctor's will complain about not being reimbursed for the procedures they performed.

Fear-mongering can't work on this. Not this time.
I guess ...if you wan't to fool yourself that all the bugs will be "paperwork" related.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:

So, the body count would be zero in this analogy. Zero bodies. In this analogy (the OP's, not mine), the doctor's will complain about not being reimbursed for the procedures they performed.
And when the doctors dont get paid for procedures that they perform, how long do you think they will continue to perform them? This was YOUR argument, now lets expound upon it...

Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I guess ...if you wan't to fool yourself that all the bugs will be "paperwork" related.
Hey, I'm just taking the OP's anaolgy to it's logical conclusions. If you want to fool yourself that millions of people's lives aren't effected by delays by private insurance companies today under the current system, go ahead. The current "body count" under the current system is unacceptable and a moral tragedy in a country that thinks of itself so highly.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
GM Brings Back 1,350 Union Workers as It Adds Shifts, Overtime - Bloomberg.com

'Aug. 18 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Co. called back 1,350 union workers, its biggest one-time increase in jobs since 2006, as it boosts second-half production, partly in response to demand from the government’s “cash for clunkers” program.'

as a stimulus device it seems to be working.

also it went from drawing board to live very quickly - just a couple of months I think. was an urgent program.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And when the doctors dont get paid for procedures that they perform, how long do you think they will continue to perform them? This was YOUR argument, now lets expound upon it...
Who said they won't get paid? Not me.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
Who said they won't get paid? Not me.
OK we got your message...government is good.

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
interesting information about the program from edmunds.com -

Cash for Clunkers Car Buying Stimulus Program

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm just taking the OP's anaolgy to it's logical conclusions. If you want to fool yourself that millions of people's lives aren't effected by delays by private insurance companies today under the current system, go ahead. The current "body count" under the current system is unacceptable and a moral tragedy in a country that thinks of itself so highly.
Current body count "0"... The complaint isnt people being denied care, the complaint is that people receive large bills after procedures are completed and then decide to file bankruptcy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies