Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You beat me to that reply. And there are also the isolated cases of innocent people wrongly convicted.
Happens everyday. I have a cousin who is a prison guard a max prison and he says that rapes happen every day and there is little they can do about because they don't have the staff or the resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
oh this thread is crazy!!! prison rape or brutality is no joke. and its unnacceptable. this isnt some 3rd world country where that is ok. we are a CIVILIZED nation. yes they are prisoners, but there are procedures and policies for handling inmates.

and lets stop to think that there are people in jail on petty crimes. some for being accessorys, some for just getting caught up in the wrong place. i dont place them on the same level as murderers rapists and pedophiles. to do so is very basic and ignorant.

prison is supposed to have rules. its a bout rehabilitation (altho recidivism rates are really high). prisoners should not be subjected to any further penalties or punishments.

prison is the punishment. rape should not be the punishment. would it be ok if after having served your time for robbing a liqour store, the clerk you robbed found you and administered their own brand of justice? no the premise is that you did the crime and are doing the time. end of story. no more punishment.

CO's and door poppers should not turn a blind eye to this.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
This argument just doesn't make much sense to me. There are PLENTY of people who are raped and brutalized OUTSIDE of prison walls, and they don't go on to commit these vicious acts-or any other kind of violence-against others.

EXCELLENT point! I have a friend that was raped when she was 16 and had a father that beat her and her siblings most of their lives none of them ever went out and committed violent acts on other people.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
You must not be familiar with the equal protection clause. It is illegal to allow prison members to rape or pillage upon each other. It is also extremely unethical. Allowing it to happen is asking for litigation problems.

Equal Protection Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I would say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. What goes around comes around. If you make your bed, lie in it. If the concept of prison wasn't enough to make you think twice, maybe the reality of prison will make you wish you did.

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-18-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
I have no sympathy for convicted murders, rapists and pedophiles. Especially the last 2 groups, they know when they commit those crimes that if they get convicted, the other prisoners will find out and they will be raped.

Murder it would depend, someone who wasn't planning a murder would obviously not have thought out what would happen in jail. But for those that do commit calculated murders, they know if they get caught what's coming.

Now, people in the system for non-violent crimes I do feel bad for. Because I have spoken to non-violent offenders, and prison life does make them "hard". They have to change to survive.

I think they do need to stop letting the inmates run the show, just because I would rather see no one get raped if it's the only way to stop the non-violent offenders from being raped.

I believe in an eye for an eye and karma.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Look what I'm basically trying to say is we can rape prisoners into being productive members of society.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM

This is absolutely true. Cruel and unusual punishment is illegal and the ACLU can fight on the behalf of anyone that has experienced such punishments. I don't consider a prisoner being raped (possibly contracting the AIDS virus), harassed, or battered in any way to be ethical punishment.

Cruel and unusual punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
oh this thread is crazy!!! prison rape or brutality is no joke. and its unnacceptable. this isnt some 3rd world country where that is ok. we are a CIVILIZED nation. yes they are prisoners, but there are procedures and policies for handling inmates.

and lets stop to think that there are people in jail on petty crimes. some for being accessorys, some for just getting caught up in the wrong place. i dont place them on the same level as murderers rapists and pedophiles. to do so is very basic and ignorant.

prison is supposed to have rules. its a bout rehabilitation (altho recidivism rates are really high). prisoners should not be subjected to any further penalties or punishments.

prison is the punishment. rape should not be the punishment. would it be ok if after having served your time for robbing a liqour store, the clerk you robbed found you and administered their own brand of justice? no the premise is that you did the crime and are doing the time. end of story. no more punishment.

CO's and door poppers should not turn a blind eye to this.

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-18-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Happens everyday. I have a cousin who is a prison guard a max prison and he says that rapes happen every day and there is little they can do about because they don't have the staff or the resources.
I'm sure it does and I'm not sure how this relates to what I wrote.

Karma is BS. How do you explain The Holocaust or Slavery of blacks? I don't see Nazis in concentration camps or Blacks owning white people. Do you? That will never happen.

Now onto reality. It is illegal for any prisoner to experience cruel and unusual punishment and not receive equal protection. So if a prisoner is convicted of child molestation and goes to prison for 20 years. He has to serve prison time which includes remaining in a cell, not having contact with the outside world, etc. That is the punishment. Being battered or raped by other inmates is illegal, if a death occurs you can bet the federal government or ACLU will take action. Also the inmate and jail staff accomplices can be charged with a crime and sent to prison themselves or may obtain longer sentences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I have no sympathy for convicted murders, rapists and pedophiles. Especially the last 2 groups, they know when they commit those crimes that if they get convicted, the other prisoners will find out and they will be raped.

Murder it would depend, someone who wasn't planning a murder would obviously not have thought out what would happen in jail. But for those that do commit calculated murders, they know if they get caught what's coming.

Now, people in the system for non-violent crimes I do feel bad for. Because I have spoken to non-violent offenders, and prison life does make them "hard". They have to change to survive.

I think they do need to stop letting the inmates run the show, just because I would rather see no one get raped if it's the only way to stop the non-violent offenders from being raped.

I believe in an eye for an eye and karma.

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-18-2009 at 04:07 PM..

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
The thing is, most prisoners will end up back on the streets. I knew a few guys who did time, and they said you become a hardened criminal very quickly to survive. They got out of prison way more dangerous than they were before.
bingo. exactly why the idea that prison time is rehabilitative is a farce.

if prison were a place where those who were the most violent and vile were locked up forever, that would be different. but if you expect them to return to society, you can't just lock them up for a time and expect they will be fine when they get out.

i think capital punishment/euthanization would be a lot more realistic for those who have the least chance of rehabilitation and pose the greatest threat to society. that said, i think pedophiles and rapists are actually worse scum than some murderers. they do deserve to be raped themselves BUT in a prison system, you have a lot of different people in there put together with different backgrounds and criminal histories. the ones that get raped the most usually are just the ones that are smaller etc and easily overpowered. that's why in essence this 'turn a blind eye' is unethical. just because you are in prison to serve your time for a certain crime, doesn't mean that judicial punishment for that crime should involve being raped or sodomized or other torture which society takes no heed of. that is just as wrong.

that's the greatest wrong is pretending there are no differences between types of crime and severity of crime and lumping these people together. sure, they broke a law but some crimes for people ending up in prison have nothing to do with physical aggression and they can be subject to physical aggression in prison.

Last edited by leaana; 08-18-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies