Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 PM

533 posts, read 318,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
WOW - I can't believe Austin didn't make this list.

Or Boulder! I LOVE Boulder, CO. Some people in Denver call Boulder "The People's Republic".......it's a great place.......not to mention totally beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 AM

292 posts, read 543,761 times
San Francisco
Miami
Seattle
Portland
Los Angeles
New York City

Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
To me it is a place which accepts everybody, and does not oppress people because they are different. We get things done with intelligents, not war. We like to look at nature, not shoot it. would rather tide 10 percent of my income to Starbucks than to church (I do go to church though).

Oh, the irony.

It is great that we still have a country with such a variety of individuals and we are free to live where we are most happy. I do agree with you about looking at nature rather than shooting it but do not judge those who eat the animals they kill. In reality, their behavior is more natural than ours.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
What cities are the most liberal in the nation?

I would say Minneapolis is way up there one of the most open-minded, gay friendly cities in the nation with very little social conservatism in the city proper.

Kansas City, Missouri is also a fairly liberal city as is Des Moines, Iowa.

Also has a population that doesnt mind higher taxes then alot of the other cities in the metro area.

I would also consider Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Milwaukee liberal but more in fiscally liberal way then socially.

Columbus, Ohio and Denver, Colorado are the opposite: socially quite liberal and fiscally conservative.
certainly Minneapolis would be close to the top, but what about San Francisco, Austin and Sante Fe, NM? These are just some that come to mind off the top of my head..oh, take Austin off the list and I would add Boulder and Portland, Or.

Nita

Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,283 times
Portland needs to come off the list. I really like the place but it's too redneck to be in the class of truly liberal cities. Unless of course you qualify a profusion of strip clubs to be an element of a liberal city.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,175 times
Thank you for those who have responded. This is going to sound similar, but lets give it a try:

I am writing because I am wondering if you can tell me a little about the culture of:

Boston, MA
Berkeley/Bay Area, CA
New York, NY
Portland, OR

and how they're similar different and possibly how they are similar and different to Philadelphia, PA?

Basically, I am in Philly right now (I've been here for a week) and am looking to permanently relocate to a place that shares my values an interests. --Values are #1 with interests coming in 2nd.

I do not feel like Philly has what I am looking for. Granted, I have only been here 1 week, but I have not had a good experience so far. My favorite place I have ever visited (I have never visited the cities above) is Burlington, VT, so maybe a similar feel but larger city (one of the cities above).

My values:

-Meaningful, passionate work
-Healthy living (Sleep, Exercise, Nutrition)
-Spiritual Growth (Alanon)
-Aesthetics
-Leisure (Gym, Kayaking, Camping, Writing, Concerts, etc).
-Learning & Educational Opportunities
-Self Expression

Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
Thank you for those who have responded. This is going to sound similar, but lets give it a try:

I am writing because I am wondering if you can tell me a little about the culture of:

Boston, MA
Berkeley/Bay Area, CA
New York, NY
Portland, OR

and how they're similar different and possibly how they are similar and different to Philadelphia, PA?

Basically, I am in Philly right now (I've been here for a week) and am looking to permanently relocate to a place that shares my values an interests. --Values are #1 with interests coming in 2nd.

I do not feel like Philly has what I am looking for. Granted, I have only been here 1 week, but I have not had a good experience so far. My favorite place I have ever visited (I have never visited the cities above) is Burlington, VT, so maybe a similar feel but larger city (one of the cities above).

My values:

-Meaningful, passionate work
-Healthy living (Sleep, Exercise, Nutrition)
-Spiritual Growth (Alanon)
-Aesthetics
-Leisure (Gym, Kayaking, Camping, Writing, Concerts, etc).
-Learning & Educational Opportunities
-Self Expression

Explore University City (centered around 43rd and Baltimore) and West Mount Airy (centered around Carpenter and Greene OR Germantown and Mount Airy Ave) before moving on. You might find what you like.

If you were to choose between the cities you listed above, Portland would be the best one for you.

Also considering putting your post on the Philly board.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,247 times
1. San Francisco
2. New York
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Portland

Old 04-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,175 times
Lightbulb Adding San Francisco to the mix!

Help! I need advice fast... I just heard news that I might be offered a full-time position as a live-in youth counselor in San Francisco... Big decisions make me really nervous, and I have never lived in a large city before... I literally just moved to Philadelphia with my partner (we are living with her father and renting out the upstairs of his house), and am overwhelmed here... I have not been sure whether or not I have wanted to stay here, which is why I have been applied to other jobs around the country.

The main thing that is important to me is that I live in a place where I can live out my values and interests. With out providing a huge list of what's important to me, to sum it all up, it's trees and parks... healthy living. I care about quality of life, and I want to live somewhere with intelligent, educated people who are creative and environment-friendly where people recycle, exercise, and create.

I am interested in building a life for myself, and I want to have fun while I'm young... what matters to me is kayaking and camping. I would also love to hike and maybe raft!

I guess it would be worth mentioning that I expect food to be affordable (I enjoy organic food), there to be an abundance of alanon meetings, parks & trees, and reasonably priced opportunities for recreational interests such as the ones stated above, including concerts and other outdoor activities such as flea markets and farmer's markets.

I am frugal... I am also a minimalist. I live a rich inner life, but try to make things as simple as possible on the outside. I have heard SF can be pretty expensive. It would be awesome if someone can give me a breakdown of just general prices of organic staples (ie, milk, eggs, spinach) and average prices for kayaking and public transportation.

It would be worth mentioning that I do have a car, but depending on whether or not I can handle the environment and am absolutely sure I am staying, I will decide whether or not to keep or sell it. As long as a reasonably priced organic grocery store and inexpensive/fee-based gym is nearby, and given that I have chosen to stay and live in SF, I will likely sell the car. It is a 99 Honda Civic EX; I imagine it would sell, as it's efficient on gas and low on carbon dioxide.

To say the least, this is a HUGE decision for me, and I want to learn all I can (with OUT being overwhelmed) about San Francisco.

I am wondering if you can tell me what you know about San Francisco, your personal experience, and whether or not you think I would like it? I would like to know all the pros and cons, and if you have experience with Philadelphia, or even Burlington, Vermont, how San Francisco is similar and different to these two locations.

Please be brief and do not overwhelm me with too much info or a bunch of details. I am a big-picture person, and would just like the general gyst. Your feedback will be very valuable in helping me to decide whether SF is right for me!

Thanks, much!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:16 PM

26 posts, read 112,951 times
There are two basic types of "liberal" cities:

1. Socially and fiscally liberal- support gay rights, abortion, stricter gun ownership restrictions, vegetarianism, stem cell research, environmentalism AND expansion of welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, support higher taxes on the wealthy, more government regulation of business, etc. These cities often are in the middle or higher end of overall wealth of a city.

Top examples:
San Francisco, CA
Oakland, CA
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Berkeley, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Madison, WI
Boston, MA
New York, NY
Atlanta, GA
Washington, DC
New Orleans, LA
Philadelphia, PA

2. Only fiscally liberal- support expansion of welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, support higher taxes on the wealthy, more government regulation of business, etc. These cities are often in the lower end of overall wealth of a city.

Top examples:
Detroit, MI
Gary, IN
Pittsburgh, PA
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City, MO
Baltimore, MD
Buffalo, NY
Every city in Ohio except Cincinnati (no joke, they are all perfect examples of this)

Then you also have centrist or conservative cities that are wrongly branded as "liberal".
Top examples:
Las Vegas, NV
Miami, FL
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies