Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times

Advertisements

Any area with blue laws is going to be conservative.

Any area where you can't buy liquor easily is a conservative area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:55 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times
booze is easy to buy everywhere isn't it? except utah of course... what is considered easy to buy liquor? here in boise liquor stores are everywhere and open until 9pm... bars open from 6am-2am.... i thought it was pretty much the same everywhere?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnsn View Post
Anyway, I think GEORGIA has got to be near the top of the Conservative list. So, if you want to live where the majority of people love going to church, think that every home should be full of guns, want to save every fetus - but kill every criminal, think that churches should receive federal funding for their programs and REALLY think that the designers of the Constitution were Fundimentalist Calvanistic Christians then you'd be RIGHT AT HOME IN GEORGIA (just pick a small town).
Uhhhm, they think churches should receive federal funding??? That's NOT conservative ... at least, not in the matter of conservatism I always knew. Most anything that has to be funded by the Feds is usually left of center. Local funding for services and privatization are true fiscal conseravative ideas.

Back to the topic about what cities are most conservative: for many years, Phoenix was considered conservative, but never in the social sense. In fact, Arizona (home to Barry Goldwater) has always been a place where one could enjoy relatively low tax rates, yet be free to say & do whatever. I guess Libertarian would be a good description for most of Arizona ... which means fiscally conservative and moderate to liberal on social issues. Politically, Arizona is more of a middle ground now than it used to be.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
booze is easy to buy everywhere isn't it? except utah of course... what is considered easy to buy liquor? here in boise liquor stores are everywhere and open until 9pm... bars open from 6am-2am.... i thought it was pretty much the same everywhere?
Alcohol is compeltely illegal about everywhere in western Arkansas except for Fort Smith proper, and that is only because of a Hiram Walker plant in Ft. Smith. We have what you call "dry counties." Prohibition was never abolished here after the 18th amendment was repealed. There is of course a waiver for "private clubs", but the churches bully the state into denying liquor licenses to many of them, at least in my county. Earlier this year, they tried to get a permit to sell liquor at a country club in my area, and it was met with a HUGE protest and picket from all the Independent Baptist churches in the area.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Alcohol is compeltely illegal about everywhere in western Arkansas except for Fort Smith proper, and that is only because of a Hiram Walker plant in Ft. Smith. We have what you call "dry counties." Prohibition was never abolished here after the 18th amendment was repealed. There is of course a waiver for "private clubs", but the churches bully the state into denying liquor licenses to many of them, at least in my county. Earlier this year, they tried to get a permit to sell liquor at a country club in my area, and it was met with a HUGE protest and picket from all the Independent Baptist churches in the area.
yikes.. I had no idea.. seems like another country to me... It would be safe to assume arkansas must be a fairly dull place then..... pity...glad to know not to waste time and money in visiting....

Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
yikes.. I had no idea.. seems like another country to me... It would be safe to assume arkansas must be a fairly dull place then..... pity...glad to know not to waste time and money in visiting....
Fort Smith and the surrounding areas in the river valley definately fit the description of "third-world" according to many visitors. People say that coming here is like travelling back in time. There is nothing to do here whatsoever but hunt, fish, and attend church (3 times per week).

Our state does have liberal spots though, where alcohol is legal, gays can live openly, and intellectuals do exist. Fayetteville in NW Arkansas, Little Rock, and parts of southeast Arkansas all lean very blue. Remember our state gave you Bill Clinton. He just isn't well liked in Fort Smith and the surrounding areas.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Quote:
Lots of states are different. Wikipedia offers a quick rundown so you can see just how different they are! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol...tates_by_state

Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Fort Smith and the surrounding areas in the river valley definately fit the description of "third-world" according to many visitors. People say that coming here is like travelling back in time. There is nothing to do here whatsoever but hunt, fish, and attend church (3 times per week).

Our state does have liberal spots though, where alcohol is legal, gays can live openly, and intellectuals do exist. Fayetteville in NW Arkansas, Little Rock, and parts of southeast Arkansas all lean very blue. Remember our state gave you Bill Clinton. He just isn't well liked in Fort Smith and the surrounding areas.
I lived overseas for a some of my lifetime... so understanding this battle with alcohol that exists in america is completely bizarre to me.... I can't even imagine... people fish and hunt and go to church here in idaho too.... must be a different crowd though.. because they certainly booze it up on friday and saturday nights.... Everyone that has visited me in boise has said they were surprised that it wasn't what they thought it would be....

Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Don't you remember John ******** trying to cover the breasts on those nude statues? John ******** was very conservative.

To be honest with you, I think Whole Foods may be run by conservatives who are simply exploiting people's desires to buy organic. I think Trader Joes has more liberal values, just like Costco.
John ******** is one person. He didn't run around the country covering up statues in museums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Any area with blue laws is going to be conservative.

Any area where you can't buy liquor easily is a conservative area.
Pennsylvania has some fairly strict liquor laws. It is a "blue" state. I don't really think there's much of a correlation.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:43 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Pennsylvania has some fairly strict liquor laws. It is a "blue" state. I don't really think there's much of a correlation.
What's so strict? Stores are open until 9:00. Some stores are open on Sunday. You can purchase wine over the internet...

Last edited by saganista; 12-31-2007 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies